• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Copper Age Registry Awards Category - next steps

98 posts in this topic

NTT is distinctly Copper, but Byrne X-Men, which is solid Bronze, continued for 6 months after NTT started. NTT is the most significant new entry to Copper, but it was just the one, and nothing else really changed *that* much.

:applause: Glad to see we also agree on NTT.

I'm not sure I would categorize the UXM as "solid Bronze." There were transition pieces like Uncanny X-Men 133, where this crazy character Wolverine started to show how wild he could be, and he could hold a story on his own. He ends up killing two of the Hellfire Club's henchmen, and maiming a few more in the process of trying to free the X-Men. We would find out a few years later in his early solo books this guy had issues that would develop into years of Copper Age storytelling (and beyond).

Soooooo...maybe we can say Bronze officially ended in 1980, followed by a transition period (Cronze lol ), and Copper officially started in 1984 with Turtles #1.

Best of all worlds.

I would say it was more there was a transition period where by the time TMNT #1 came out, you knew you were living in a Copper Age world of stories that transcended the semi-rosy tales of the past. An anti-hero atmosphere and other hard-hitting influences were taking place with traditional characters, in addition to the wonderful massive independent push that laid the groundwork for companies such as Caliber Press, Dark Horse, and many others.

NTT is distinctly Copper, but Byrne X-Men, which is solid Bronze, continued for 6 months after NTT started. NTT is the most significant new entry to Copper, but it was just the one, and nothing else really changed *that* much.

I'm not sure I would categorize the UXM as "solid Bronze." There were transition pieces like Uncanny X-Men 133, where this crazy character Wolverine started to show how wild he could be, and he could hold a story on his own. He ends up killing two of the Hellfire Club's henchmen, and maiming a few more in the process of trying to free the X-Men. We would find out a few years later in his early solo books this guy had issues that would develop into years of Copper Age storytelling (and beyond).

Soooooo...maybe we can say Bronze officially ended in 1980, followed by a transition period (Cronze lol ), and Copper officially started in 1984 with Turtles #1.

Best of all worlds.

I would say it was more there was a transition period where by the time TMNT #1 came out, you knew you were living in a Copper Age world of stories that transcended the semi-rosy tales of the past. An anti-hero atmosphere and other hard-hitting influences were taking place with traditional characters, in addition to the wonderful massive independent push that laid the groundwork for companies such as Caliber Press, Dark Horse, and many others.

I agree with the transition phase between 1980 - 1984 from Bronze to Copper. The stories introduced between 1980-1984 were the foundation for what was to come in the Copper age. It was TMNT #1 that best used all these elements (stated above) during this transition period into one comic.

The transition phase from Copper to Modern is 1990 -1992 with Superman #75 the beginning of the Modern Age.

I'm perfectly willing to accept that they were out Nov 18 some places, if YOU will acept that it was out Nov 20 in others.

(thumbs u

Of course I agree with this. What you posted now is a big step forward from your original statement that Superman 75 was never released on the 18th.[

:applause: (thumbs u

Hold the phone, bucko...you kept insisting that it was Nov 18, period.

There was no reason, from either of our particular perspectives, pre-internet, to have questioned otherwise.

So, concession on both sides.

(thumbs u

I've never stated otherwise. Much like HOM #174 and HOS #81, 1968 and 1969 books respectively, are distinctly BRONZE, but occur before the Bronze Age "officially" began.

I'm not sure I would categorize the UXM as "solid Bronze."

I would, without a doubt. There's no major stylistic change in UXM until we get to the first Brood storyline. In fact, X-Men #138-143 have an incredible sense of denouement after Dark Phoenix, kind of a "wrapping up" of Byrne's tenure. Nothing significant happens, no new characters are introduced (in continuity, anyways), you have Cyclops leaving in #138, Alpha Flight Part 2 in #139-140, #141-142 aren't even in continuity, and #143 is #96 part 2.

Taken as a whole, those 6 issues feel very, very much like the closing scenes of a grand play. X-Men #94-143 form an incredibly tight, continuous arc that almost literally begins and ends at the same point (the ancient demons.) They are High Bronze, and the apotheosis of what the Bronze Age was. That feeling continued pretty much unabated until issue #162.

An anti-hero atmosphere and other hard-hitting influences were taking place with traditional characters

The anti-hero is much more of a child of the Bronze Age than any following age. In terms of protagonists of books, it starts with Conan. Most of the S&S - (Conan, Kull etc) and nearly all of the "netherworldly" - Dracula, WBN, Ghost Rider, Son of Satan prtotagonists were anti-heroes.

It was pushed to the next level in the Copper Age, and pretty much perfected by the Punisher Mini, but the roots of the anti-hero are firmly planted in the Bronze Age.

An anti-hero atmosphere and other hard-hitting influences were taking place with traditional characters

The anti-hero is much more of a child of the Bronze Age than any following age. In terms of protagonists of books, it starts with Conan. Most of the S&S - (Conan, Kull etc) and nearly all of the "netherworldly" - Dracula, WBN, Ghost Rider, Son of Satan prtotagonists were anti-heroes.

It was pushed to the next level in the Copper Age, and pretty much perfected by the Punisher Mini, but the roots of the anti-hero are firmly planted in the Bronze Age.

I would agree with this. The difference in the Copper Age was that traditional superheroes started taking on some of those anti-hero traits.

I would agree with this. The difference in the Copper Age was that traditional superheroes started taking on some of those anti-hero traits.

I agree with this as well, as I always felt Luke Cage and Iron Fist were more anti-hero than hero and those are both Bronze Age characters.

But the Copper Age perfected the mold, and made it worth coming back every month for more.

jonjesper: Wouldn't the Copper Age run until the end of 1991? or Youngblood #1?

DrWatson: Copper ended with the publication of the multi-covered and polybagged Spider-Man #1

seanfingh: Too early for me. I like November 18, 1992. Death of Superman

Hmmm....What other ages are determined by an ending as opposed to the next ages beginning? I mean, it wasn't like Death of Superman (or Spider-man 1 or Spawn 1 or whatever) came out and everyone went (In my best Pvt. Hudson impersonation) "That's it man, game over man, game over!"

Or if they did, they did it numerous times over a 3-4 year period.

If we try to look for an ending, we might go through even more trouble than we did to find a starting point!

And where does Valiant fit into all of this? It's a Modern?

Copper age ended in 1991. Bone being the last really good B&W self-published property that made the Copper Age what it was. The formation of Image, the emergence of Valiant Comics and Superman #75 are the start of the Modern Age in 1992. Valiant Comics and Image Comics took self-published, creator owned properties to another level and made it successful.

Each Age in Comics really didn't have an ending but more like the first book of the next age. Gold to Silver and Silver to Bronze. I'm not sure what the start to the copper age is but I beleive that the next true age following the copper age would be Crisis on Infinite Earths # 1.

Copper age ended in 1991. Bone being the last really good B&W self-published property that made the Copper Age what it was. The formation of Image, the emergence of Valiant Comics and Superman #75 are the start of the Modern Age in 1992. Valiant Comics and Image Comics took self-published, creator owned properties to another level and made it successful.

And some would argue that Bone is Modern. It goes round and round.

I'm not sure what the start to the copper age is but I beleive that the next true age following the copper age would be Crisis on Infinite Earths # 1.

This series spanned 1985-1986, which would mean Copper was short-lived. That would be a tough one to digest (bot no offense meant towards your suggestion).

I still feel this is one of those great series that helped confirm the Copper Age was alive and well, and was cleaning up the confusion of the past ages.

Well, I was thinking about the effect this title had for several years following so I would like to add three more thoughts.

1. After the Crisis series there were several attempts to re-write the origins of several major Super-Heroes (mostly by Bryne).

2, Look at the number of times DC has tried to correct the mess created by Crisis (Zero Hour and the last years Crisis story arc).

3. It also led to the creation of the "Elseworld" titles, prior to Crisis it was always "An imaganary tale".

And lets not forget the phase "Pre-Crisis"

Bone is a Modern book - apart from it being self-published, it has absolutely nothing in common with the types of books you'd normally associate with the copper age.

Bone is a Modern book - apart from it being self-published, it has absolutely nothing in common with the types of books you'd normally associate with the copper age.

Wow. I guess we will agree to disagree. In my opinion, Bone couldn't be any further from the Modern Age. Bone fits in perfectly with the manufactured, gimmick, variant, bad girl, dark, war and "death" craze events of the modern age. :screwy: I guess everyone forgot that Bone was created in 1983.

Wow. I guess we will agree to disagree. In my opinion, Bone couldn't be any further from the Modern Age. Bone fits in perfectly with the manufactured, gimmick, variant, bad girl, dark, war and "death" craze events of the modern age. :screwy: I guess everyone forgot that Bone was created in 1983.

hm