• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Copper Age Registry Awards Category - next steps

98 posts in this topic

I found an old post about this topic from last year when Ogami said:

"Maybe it's time to have two designations of books for ages. The "first" book of the age. (significant for "x") and the newer designation- the most important book of the age. (should be more self relevant)

So, the discussion for CA would be:

First Book of the CA-many of the books Dan and Sean have been suggesting.

Most Important Book of the CA- TMNT 1"

Thoughts?

(Here's the link to the entire thread: Top 10 Coppers )

I actually think some of the best research on this topic was led by Vince/Joe_Collector (no movies were involved, so it was positive).

Updated Copper Age Transition Timeline:

May 1979: Daredevil 158- First Miller art

Nov 1979: Iron Man #128 "Demon in a Bottle"

Feb 1980: She-Hulk #1

Mar 1980: King Conan 1

Apr 1980: Star Trek 1

Spring 1980: Epic Illustrated 1

Sep 1980: X-Men 137- Death of Dark Phoenix

Oct 1980: DC Presents 26- first New Teen Titans

Nov 1980: New Teen Titans 1

Nov 1980: Moon Knight gets his own series

1980 : Superboy Spectacular- Direct Sales only 1-shot

Jan 1981: Daredevil 168- First Miller -script; Intro Elektra

Jan 1981: X-Men 141- Days of Future Past launches alternate time line that would form the basis for lots of uber-fandom-based X-continuity over the next several years

Jan 1981: Capital Comics launches and publishes Nexus 1

Mar 1981: X-Men 143- Final Claremont/Byrne

Mar 1981: Dazzler 1- First direct-sales-only for an ongoing series

Mar 1981: Bizarre Adventures starts

Mar 1981: Captain Canuck is cancelled

May 1981: Eclipse Magazine starts

June 1981: The Hulk magazine ends

Jul 1981: Fantastic Four 232 - Byrne takes over FF writing/art duties.

Aug 1981: Rogue debuts

Aug 1981: Marvel Premiere ends

Nov 1981: Captain Victory 1- First Pacific Comics issue, direct-only publisher

1981: Marvel cancels many of its reprint titles, including MGC, AA, TTA, MSA, etc.

1981: Stan Lee moves to California to head Marvel TV/movie properties, leaving Jim Shooter in charge

March 1982: Warrior Magazine #1 (Marvelman, V for Vendetta)

May 1982: Saga of the Swamp Thing #1

June 1982: G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero #1

June 1982: Marvel Super-Hero Contest of Champions #1 (first Marvel Mini, precursor to Secret Wars)

Sept 1982: Love and Rockets debuts

Sept 1982: Wolverine Mini #1

1982: Harvey Comics, Warren Publishing and Spire Comics cease operations

1982: DC cancels remaining Horror titles

1982: Start of creator royalties at Marvel and DC

1982: Steve Geppi founds Diamond

1982: Marvel introduces Graphic Novel series, including Death of Captain Marvel and X-Men: God Loves, Man Kills

For me, The Copper Age began....

Quite a few Copper Age fanatics contributed to this list.

Copper age ended in 1991. Bone being the last really good B&W self-published property that made the Copper Age what it was. The formation of Image, the emergence of Valiant Comics and Superman #75 are the start of the Modern Age in 1992. Valiant Comics and Image Comics took self-published, creator owned properties to another level and made it successful.

And some would argue that Bone is Modern. It goes round and round.

Bone is a Modern book - apart from it being self-published, it has absolutely nothing in common with the types of books you'd normally associate with the copper age.

Wow. I guess we will agree to disagree. In my opinion, Bone couldn't be any further from the Modern Age. Bone fits in perfectly with the manufactured, gimmick, variant, bad girl, dark, war and "death" craze events of the modern age. :screwy: I guess everyone forgot that Bone was created in 1983.

Do you have a copy of Thorn: Tales from the Lantern?

Wouldn't suprise me... :)

Copper age ended in 1991. Bone being the last really good B&W self-published property that made the Copper Age what it was. The formation of Image, the emergence of Valiant Comics and Superman #75 are the start of the Modern Age in 1992. Valiant Comics and Image Comics took self-published, creator owned properties to another level and made it successful.

Bone is a Modern book - apart from it being self-published, it has absolutely nothing in common with the types of books you'd normally associate with the copper age.

Wow. I guess we will agree to disagree. In my opinion, Bone couldn't be any further from the Modern Age. Bone fits in perfectly with the manufactured, gimmick, variant, bad girl, dark, war and "death" craze events of the modern age. :screwy: I guess everyone forgot that Bone was created in 1983.

hm

Agreed.

To say that Bone was different from the type of book you'd normally associate with Copper Age, and thus makes it a Modern would be the same as saying Cry for Dawn is a Modern, and Teenage Mutan Ninja Turtles is a Modern (after all, it bears little resemblance to mainstream Copper Age books), Faust is a Modern, etc.

I don't think the Copper Age ended in 1991. The era is too small that way, and "deaths" of major characters was not even a Copper invention...it was Bronze. If Batman #428 is a Copper book, Superman #75 is the same thing, taken a couple degrees further. Pre-Unity, the beginning of Image, death of Supes, Knightfall....all the grand masterpieces of the COPPER Age, not a distinct stylistic or editorial difference that would normally herald a new era.

The "Bad Girl" nonsense, in that respect, is far more of a stylistic change...and this really took off in 1994...than Death of Supes, or Valiant, or Image (I mean, really...the same artists, at the heights of their careers, all of whom achieved fame in the Copper Age, doing virtually the same thing they had been doing previously? Really? The only thing that changed was the office location and corner logos. At least Miller, Smith, Steranko, Adams et al did something DIFFERENT from what made them famous.)

I just compare it to the last great push of the SA, the 1968 Marvel intros....

From the Boneville history page:

http://www.boneville.com/bone/bone-history/

The comics industry at this time was experiencing a huge growth boom, fueled in part by speculators who would buy multiple copies of hot comics. Once big comic book companies started manufacturing hot or “chase” comics specifically to cash in on this speculation craze, the rush was on. In an atmosphere of hologram logos, and alternative covers, BONE became a cause celeb just by being hand-crafted and shipped out of a garage. BONE was seen by many as the “anti-gimmick” comic. In 1994, BONE won four Eisner Awards, and three Harvey Awards.

Just because Bone didn't succumb to the variant/death/rebirth craze that was sweeping the comic book world at that time doesn't mean that it's not a Modern book.

We will get back to this debate on Bone later. Sorry for the rant but I needed to get my thoughts out.

Anyways, we need get back to the issue which is a timeline for the Copper Age. CGC can't have a Copper Age Registry Award if we don't have a timeline most can agree upon.

They've already set it. 1980-1990.

Why those sneaky, no-good......

Oh wait - that's right. I applauded the decision.

Me too. Keeps it simple.

Even though I think it is woefully inaccurate, I think it is the best they could do. Anything else would be unwieldy and a complete PITA. Copper love to all!!