• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please explain early bidding to me???

16 posts in this topic

Is there something i'm missing or is it actually just retarded???

In the Clink auction right now, the 9.0 X-men 1 is already up to almost $13,000 and it doesnt end until freaking January 20th!!!

Why in gods name are people bidding it that high already when it doesnt end for 2 weeks? Theres plenty of other examples in the C link auction but that was the highest i saw.

I understand that on a small book but a $25-30,000 book?!?

Seems to me, no matter how busy your actual life is, if you are spending anywhere near that amount of money on a comic book you should be setting aside some time for the final day of the auction for bidding, no?

You know that book isn't going to go anywhere near $13,000 so what is the point of putting in that bid 2 weeks early?

A lot of folks toss in tracking bids on books. I do it all the time. On a big book, a tracking bid of $13k is no big deal, especially when it's going to go for $20k. No real risk in placing it and you can see how it is going in your 'My Bids' section.

A lot of folks toss in tracking bids on books. I do it all the time. On a big book, a tracking bid of $13k is no big deal, especially when it's going to go for $20k. No real risk in placing it and you can see how it is going in your 'My Bids' section.

Ok, now that makes sense!

I didnt realize people put in tracking bids THAT high even on high priced books. I've done that before but nowhere even remotely near that amount.

Cheetah(or anyone else), one other question about a Clink book.

They have a ASM 17 up with a "Bobs grocery and newstand July 9, 1964" date stamp on it. The books release date was October 1964, so how and why is there a July 64 date stamp?

You can't make a tracking bid unless you are higher than the bid amount. If a couple of folks toss off $10k tracking bids, you either up it or don't track it.

They have a ASM 17 up with a "Bobs grocery and newstand July 9, 1964" date stamp on it. The books release date was October 1964, so how and why is there a July 64 date stamp?

Books were on the stands 3 months prior to the cover date regarding Silver Marvels,as a general rule of thumb.

Books were on the stands 3 months prior to the cover date regarding Silver Marvels,as a general rule of thumb.

Cool, thanks!

Ok, now disregard the ASM 17 and nobody put any tracking bids on it lol

That X-men 1 would be a cool upgrade for you. :cool:

It is nice but no way. Even if i hadnt just bought the wifey the new car, i still wouldn't. Way too many other books that i dont have at all and want before i could even consider ungrading that one.

I have been dreaming of returning the car for the Hulk 1 though! lol

Getting a 8.0 Hulk 1 vs losing the car AND wife hm

That X-men 1 would be a cool upgrade for you. :cool:

It is nice but no way. Even if i hadnt just bought the wifey the new car, i still wouldn't. Way too many other books that i dont have at all and want before i could even consider ungrading that one.

I have been dreaming of returning the car for the Hulk 1 though! lol

Getting a 8.0 Hulk 1 vs losing the car AND wife hm

I figured the X-men 1 since you paid a low price in the 90's :applause: . Yeah, no HULK 1, but still keep the wife, car and more comics later. ;)

If i had just won the powerball, DEFINITELY!

Short of a lotto winning though, i dont think i'll be upgrading my Xmen1 for a LONG time if ever. I'm happy with the 8.5 copy. Even though i got it pretty cheap back in the day, at this point, i really dont have any desire to upgrade it.

Tell me about it it. I only hit one number. Since you have the X-men 1 so long, it could be a sentimental thing. You got the baby raw and achieve a great grade. For me, my SC22 5.0 was hard earned as a newsboy and it started me collecting SC22, so it means more. BTW, nice SC22 6.5. (thumbs u

It kind of is a sentimental thing with Xmen1.

Xmen is my favorite title and that was a book I always dreamed of someday getting but didn't think I ever would be able to. That was my 1st ever huge comic purchase. I don't think I had ever spent more than $3-400 on a single book when I bought that one.

Between that and it being a pretty nice looking 8.5 in hand, I doubt I'll upgrade it. The little bit of chipping it has does bother me a tiny bit but not enough to pay for an upgrade.

Well said.