• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Getting Comics Signed

23 posts in this topic

I have the chance to get a number of comics signed by artists but without the watchful eye of CGC for Signature Series.. I was curious about grading, do folks prefer to have comics signed on the cover to limit damage from comics being opened or inside? I am going to request Blue Labels when I get them graded either way but is the grade affected more if it is signed on the cover?

Books signed on the cover get a Green Qualified label, those signed on the inside get a Blue. So you'll definitely want to get them signed on the inside.
You can request blue, but for a cover sig you're looking at 6.5 tops.

Books signed on the cover get a Green Qualified label, those signed on the inside get a Blue. So you'll definitely want to get them signed on the inside.

hm Is there anywhere the "request" option is listed by CGC, or is this the normal "word-of-mouth" policy?

From April 2010:

"Any book which is submitted with a signature on the front cover which is of a high grade will received the Green, Qualified label and the signature will not affect the CGC grade in any way. The green Qualified label will state that there is a name written on the cover and what the grade of the book would be if the signature were ignored. If the book has a signature on the front and is of a low grade it will receive a Blue, Universal label and the signature will affect the grade of the book (depending on the size, how much it disrupts the cover etc.). If the signature is on the interior of the book only, then it will receive a Blue Universal label regardless of grade and the signature will affect the grade of the book (less than if it were on the cover, however). "

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3930313#Post3930313

I didn't know they had recently changed their policy. Will have to keep it in mind.

No policy was changed. It's been this way since the beginning.

I used to think that as well. I think it all has to do with the size of the sig and how it affects the artwork (ie how distracting it is).

I used to think that as well. I think it all has to do with the size of the sig and how it affects the artwork (ie how distracting it is).

6.5 is too low - I've seen CGC 7.5 blue label books with a cover signature being the grade-dropping defect.

I didn't know they had recently changed their policy. Will have to keep it in mind.

No policy was changed. It's been this way since the beginning.

And can you give me a link to where this is stated on their website? ;)

I'm not sure it's stated on the website, but it has been done before.

6.5 is too low - I've seen CGC 7.5 blue label books with a cover signature being the grade-dropping defect.

I shouldnt have worded it like that, I really have no idea how high it can go. I would imagine if it was small and off near a corner that didnt have much art it could go even higher. 6.5 is the highest ive seen.

In terms of resale, why is a blue higher value than a green?

Doesn't a green have the normal grade on it, so it's really a matter of how much you're willing to pay for a signature. Sure, maybe the signature isn't real, but there's not a huge market for signatures, so it seems unlikely to be faked.

It's been indicated that a blue label would be 7.5 tops. Would the label indicate what the grade would be without the signature?

What I'm really getting at is say you have a comic somewhere between 9.0 and 9.6. Would the blue label hide the real grade, due to the 7.5 cap, whereas the green label would show the real grade?

Keep in mind grading is also subjective not consistent, the signature is just an extra. As long as you know you got it or even more get to meet the creator of the comic, resale should be secondary. If resale is primary then get a facilitator to get the book signed for a yellow label

It would be nice to have some official CGC input on this matter. As for resale, it is personally not my priority. I guess Green label is less appealing only because it means that the book has a "significant defect that needs specific description" aka a signature or something else. How do you get a book witnessed by CGC if the artist no longer visits conventions or gets out in the public eye much anymore?