• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

xmen 1 cgc 9.4 sells for $57K on comiclink!!!!!!!!!!

193 posts in this topic

Please tell me that you didn't stick the books flat on a scanner and scan each page. 893whatthe.gif

Thanks bro, I appreciate that.

I "THOUGHT" I had good bags and boards on all of them, but they are the garden variety stuff found at cheapy comic shops, so I ordered all new bags and boards from www.egerber.com after people here told me to.

You guys are a GOLDMINE of information.

Initially I was going to box up the whole lot and send them to CGC, but ( again ) I was advised here to only have #1 - #150 done right now. I also didn't know how expensive it was, but for the books I have, it is apparent that I need to get them done.

I have all my comics on CDROM now so they never have to be opened to be read. I can just kick back and read them on my PC.

where are you located? Im sure we here can agree on a reputable experienced dealer or collector in your areas that you can show them to and get an honest opinion as to their true grade before you commit them all to CGC slabbing.

Please tell me that you didn't stick the books flat on a scanner and scan each page. 893whatthe.gif

Yup...I ironed them all back flat with a steam iron when I was done....now they are all flat again.

..heh...I'm kidding, kidding.:P

I actually got the comics on CDs from one of my readers this past month. I run two computer hardware websites, my readers hooked me up with the missing comics I needed and then the CDs.

I have no idea how he got them on there. Like I said, I just recently pulled my collection out and re-bagged and boarded them ( with cheapy bags & boards cause I'm a ) and finished up the collection.

where are you located? Im sure we here can agree on a reputable experienced dealer or collector in your areas that you can show them to and get an honest opinion as to their true grade before you commit them all to CGC slabbing.

Unfortunately, I am in Anchorage, Alaska....there isn't jack for experienced comics people here.

27_laughing.gif

The new bags/boards won't be a problem for a couple of years. In my opinion, the only danger is that the bags and boards don't provide the structural rigidity that the books need to keep from having corners slightly blunted or spines stressed. It is definitely worth it to get some E. Gerber 4 mil mylars (golden/silver age sized) and the 42 mil Full Backs backing boards. They'll last forever and will provide plenty of rigidity. Just make sure you are super duper careful when putting the books in there, as they will fit snugly. You have a super collection, and as you've seen from the ComicLink sales, the *slightest* of damage can make a book drop in value by tens of thousands of dollars.

While you're at it, I recommend that you buy this book ASAP:

Overstreet Comic Grading Guide

Yup...I ironed them all back flat with a steam iron when I was done....now they are all flat again.

..heh...I'm kidding, kidding.:P

I actually got the comics on CDs from one of my readers this past month. I run two computer hardware websites, my readers hooked me up with the missing comics I needed and then the CDs.

I have no idea how he got them on there. Like I said, I just recently pulled my collection out and re-bagged and boarded them ( with cheapy bags & boards cause I'm a ) and finished up the collection.

Personally, id take 10 midgrade books instead of 1 top census book. cool.gif

You are projecting your personal preferences onto collectors in general who may have as valid a motive for pursuing one top census copy in lieu of 10 slightly lower condition copies/other books and making a judgement call as to who is a true collector, stigmatizing the high grade collector as a speculator or as someone who doesn't know what to do with their money.

893applaud-thumb.gif Well said, Darth!

Thanks bro, I appreciate that.

I "THOUGHT" I had good bags and boards on all of them, but they are the garden variety stuff found at cheapy comic shops, so I ordered all new bags and boards from www.egerber.com after people here told me to.

You guys are a GOLDMINE of information.

Initially I was going to box up the whole lot and send them to CGC, but ( again ) I was advised here to only have #1 - #150 done right now. I also didn't know how expensive it was, but for the books I have, it is apparent that I need to get them done.

Steve, are you playing us?

If not, stop talking already and send 1-10 into CGC. You will get them back relatively quickly because all will require at least Standard grading service, the #2 will require at least Express and the #1 will require Walk-thru (you will get #2 and #1 back very quickly). Given the value of these comics, even if they turn out not to be NM books, you will more than recoup the CGC grading fees.

Then, you will (i) have better protection for these more valuable issues and the good people on these boards will stop being so nervous and (ii) you will have a good idea of what kind of grades your books have and will know whether it's worthwhile to submit some or all of the rest of your collection to CGC. Also, god forbid, you will be able to confirm that there is no restoration on these books.

And if they come back from CGC with blue labels saying 9.4 or better, then PM me immediately. devil.gif

Absolutely agree.

Send 1-10 to CGC now as EXPRESS service. Go to Heritage's website (heritagecomics.com) and get a 20% discount.

Do it NOW!!!

Get back to us in a few weeks once you get the grades back.

From there, we (the forum members) should be able to give you a better idea what books should be graded.

I think one thing that some board members have overlooked is that issues 67-93 are reprints. So unless they are 9.2 (NM- or better), it probably doesn't make sense to have these CGC'd.

GOOD LUCK. That X-Men #1 looks great.

from the scan you posted, your XMen#1 looks very nice indeed. Your dad must ahve taken very good care of his comics.

I say Go for it!! You may just have a 9.0, or better a 9.2, or, possibly, a 9.4!!

Yep, 9.0-ish is a real possibility because you can't see much of any flaws in your pic. Since you're saying it's in "pretty good" condition I'm guessing there might be some tiny spine bends or slight corner rounding, non-color breaking creases, etc that we can't see. Absent that kind of stuff you really might get a grade higher than 9.0! 893whatthe.gif

Since you're saying it's in "pretty good" condition I'm guessing there might be some tiny spine bends or slight corner rounding, non-color breaking creases, etc that we can't see. Absent that kind of stuff you really might get a grade higher than 9.0! 893whatthe.gif

It is actually pretty much as you see. It isn't crinkled on the spine or have any bend marks or scratches. I know my explanations are lame, but I don't have a clue to the quality until I get it graded.

Once I get a few graded, I will be able to "guess-timate" the quality of others. All of mine look "pretty good" to me, I just don't know how that translates.

I have been looking at pricing/grades online...and I know what I HOPE they turn out to be wink.gif