• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

xmen 1 cgc 9.4 sells for $57K on comiclink!!!!!!!!!!

193 posts in this topic

14_of_spades,

Based on the intellectually vacuous rhetoric and continuous acrimony in your posts, I would much rather conduct business with Josh than with you. You do not strike me as someone who would be level-headed or fair if there were to be a problem. Josh does. At this point, I think you're contributing very little to this discussion.

popcorn.gif

He did reply and he apologized. I spent about 15 minutes with him on the phone today too, talking about the transaction again and brainstorming about ways to improve the system. Josh was very respectful and I believe that he wants all of his customers to be satisfied with ComicLink, even when they don't win a book that they want. This is all I think that I can ask of him.

Just in case there's been any misunderstanding about my feelings on the AF15 situation, I want to clarify a few things. After Josh and I spoke today on the phone, he asked how we could clarify what happened to those customers on the board who had read the threads and I told him to go ahead and post what I said. However, I thought about it some more and rather than have him try to recreate all of the events, I will go ahead and explain how it happened from my perspective.

I don't know Josh and barely knew what ComicLink was when I bid on the AF15. I had never used the site before other than to browse through the listings and to register as a user. When I clicked the buy button on the AF#15, I thought that I had won the book, just as if I had hit the BIN on an ebay auction. When I spoke with Jason on the phone that night, I was speaking with him about an issue involving the 3% credit card surcharge and in the context of that discussion, the way he phrased something, coupled with my inexperience with the ComicLink system, caused me to believe incorrectly that I was the only bidder on the book at that time.

It wasn't Jason's "fault" and he didn't mislead me -- it was just a misunderstanding on my part. Basically, I wanted to make sure that the book wasn't sold to someone else simply because I wanted to talk to Josh about the surcharge before I paid for the book. Jason told me that if I got a confirmation email, then I was fine. I think the misunderstanding may have been that Jason was referring to the final confirmation email, and I thought that the preliminary confirmation email was what he was talking about. It was an innocent misunderstanding that was probably caused at least in part by the fact that I had never used the system before and also because the preliminary email is not as explicit as it could be in terms of telling me that I had not necessarily won the book. Anyway, Jason was very nice and professional on the phone with me, and I have no complaint about the way he handled the situation.

The next day, when I found out that I hadn't won the book, my initial thought was that Josh had sold the book out from under me. I was really mad about this. I called Josh to give him a piece of my mind, and he explained to me that I had not been the first bidder and that someone else's bid went in ahead of mine, and gave me the detailed time information about when the book was listed, when the bids happened, and when the buyer confirmed availability. He also explained that putting in a buy order does not necessarily mean that the buyer has "won" the book. Either that same day or maybe the next day, FF posted on the AF15 thread that this was indeed the way that the ComicLink site worked.

At that point, I accepted Josh's explanation, though I wasn't happy about not winning the book. I don't usually get upset if I miss out on a particular book, but this particular episode really bummed me out because I'd wanted a copy of AF#15 since I was about six years old and had finally gotten to the point where I could afford a nice copy. This particular book really is an amazing copy and I would have been thrilled to own it.

I was bummed that I didn't win the book and I think that Josh could improve his site, but I'm not pissed at him. I didn't care for him bringing me into his fight with Brian today, but we discussed it and he apologized and said that he didn't mean any harm. He seems like a decent guy who cares a lot about his business and he gets a little pissed, like I probably would, when people suggest that he might be acting unethically. But Josh doesn't strike me as the kind of person who would act unethically, and in any event, he is smart enough to recognize that if he were to do anything unethical, the resulting publicity would kill a very promising business. He has a very good thing going and is in a great position to become a real force among the internet comic dealers/consignors, and I don't think he would mess with something with tremendous potential in order to try to make a few extra bucks in the short term.

As I mentioned, I am one of the people who have voiced criticism about how ComicLink works. There is a big difference, however, between voicing criticism and accusing someone of intentional wrongdoing. If your primary concern is to have ComicLink work in a more user-friendly way, then the best way to go about doing that is to state clearly what your issues are with the service and for Josh to consider them in the interests of making the site as user-friendly as possible. I think we can all be a little more grown up about stating criticism in a way that allows Josh to process our criticism without feeling like his integrity is being impugned. I know that it would [!@#%^&^] me off if someone did that to me, so let's not do it to Josh. And Josh, as I mentioned in my email today, I think that you should try to view the criticism (in whatever form it may arise) as free customer feedback that most companies pay tens of thousands of dollars to get in the form of highly sophisticated and expensive surveys. CGC does a good job of doing this when its customers rip on its services on CGC's own message boards, and CGC has managed to make great improvements to its service by doing things this way. If you do the same, I think you'll find that ComicLink will improve and everyone (buyers, sellers, and Josh alike) will be happier at the end of the day.

hey FFB

funny how Mr. COMICLINK hasn't chosen to reply, much less issue an apology to you for calling you sour grapes...

if you look at all my contributions to this thread - they've addressed how i view his name calling of you as being in very very poor taste.

the fact that Mr. COMICLINK has chosen not to reply to you, despite being directly addressed (by your posts), speaks very poorly of him.

he name called. he was wrong in doing so. i guess some people just can't admit that they made a mistake... to take a piece of Mr. COMICLINK's use of pop-psychology - i wonder what does that say about them (him) and their (his) personal unfulfilled life??

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

When I spoke with Jason on the phone that night, I was speaking with him about an issue involving the 3% credit card surcharge

So FFB, what did he have to say about this I am super curious to say the least ............ 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Jason told me that I would have to speak with Josh about it because it was not up to Jason to change the policy. Josh and I have never really discussed this issue because I have never bought a book from Josh.

I do believe that the policy is illegal, though, and I don't believe that his "buyer's premium" of 3% avoids the issue. The law permits the seller to give a cash-paying customer a discount off of the regular price (which results in a lower selling price than the suggested retail value, so to speak), but it does not permit the seller to "add" money to the regular retail price (which results in a higher than retail price for credit card customers only) and waive it for non-credit-card paying customers. This is an illusory discount that is simply a credit card surcharge in disguise and I do not think that it would hold up in court. If Josh got this advice from his lawyer, I think he got some bum advice.

Josh, if you are reading this, you might ask for a second opinion on the credit card surcharge issue. You are able to write off the 3% that the credit card company charges you anyway, so it really isn't the same thing as "losing" the 3% if you don't add the buyer's premium.

When I spoke with Jason on the phone that night, I was speaking with him about an issue involving the 3% credit card surcharge

So FFB, what did he have to say about this I am super curious to say the least ............ 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Josh, if you are reading this, you might ask for a second opinion on the credit card surcharge issue. You are able to write off the 3% that the credit card company charges you anyway, so it really isn't the same thing as "losing" the 3% if you don't add the buyer's premium

Yes, but as a CPA, writing off 3% is not the same thing as not paying it. If you are in the 25% tax braket, then the write off is only equivalent to .075%.

Said another way:

If Josh paid $1,000 in CC fees in a year, than it would save him $250 in taxes. He's still out $750.00.

Aren't corporate tax rates a little higher than that?

Josh, if you are reading this, you might ask for a second opinion on the credit card surcharge issue. You are able to write off the 3% that the credit card company charges you anyway, so it really isn't the same thing as "losing" the 3% if you don't add the buyer's premium

Yes, but as a CPA, writing off 3% is not the same thing as not paying it. If you are in the 25% tax braket, then the write off is only equivalent to .075%.

Said another way:

If Josh paid $1,000 in CC fees in a year, than it would save him $250 in taxes. He's still out $750.00.

Said another way:

What if you are in a higher tax bracket?

What if you are in a higher tax bracket?

Still a losing proposition.

Anyway, I would assume ComicLink is incorporated and pays corporate rates, but I don't know for sure.

Obviously, Josh basis the worth of maintaining a website, being the middle man for transactions and dealing with the abuse he receives from disgruntled customers as being worth a 10% commission. If he accepted credit cards (without passing the fees on to the buyer) then the commission would be reduced to 7%. tongue.gif

Dear Forum Members:

I just want to publicly thank everyone on this board that has defended my personal integrity and my business. I also want to thank those that had initially said negative things without cause, but have subsequently stepped up to set the record straight. I did take notice of all of your posts and I do appreciate it.

Lastly, I want to let everyone know that the suggestions mentioned in this thread will be taken under serious consideration.

Sincerely,

Josh Nathanson, ComicLink.com

Thanks Josh. I think that everyone wants ComicLink to be the best it can be, even if they're unhappy with one or two aspects of it in its current incarnation. You have a great selection of top books on there. thumbsup2.gif

Dear Forum Members:

I just want to publicly thank everyone on this board that has defended my personal integrity and my business. I also want to thank those that had initially said negative things without cause, but have subsequently stepped up to set the record straight. I did take notice of all of your posts and I do appreciate it.

Lastly, I want to let everyone know that the suggestions mentioned in this thread will be taken under serious consideration.

Sincerely,

Sincerely,

I don't think that anyone could ask for more then that. Good job.

i don't know how the hell i missed this thread but it was well-worth wading through this evening. i like it when everyone (sorta) kisses and makes up flowerred.gif

and i think that everyone should continue to recognize that the purpose of these forums is to think, swap ideas, lurk, inquire, enable change, beat on danny, get to the bottom of certain mysteries, out crapola buyer/sellers, check in on the babe test daily, cut a few sweet deals, and enjoy your comics. hey jive turkey - you put those high grades up yet tonight??? grin.gif

Dear Forum Members:

Sincerely,

Umm...since you took note of my defense of you, I'll take any Timely you currently have as a "personal reference" fee! 893blahblah.gif27_laughing.gifinsane.gif893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Timely

My friend bought some comics from you, and you sent him a email stating you were sorry but you forgot to put some of his winning bids in the package.

Well alomst getting on 3months later, and reply to his emails he still has not got them? So what is going on? Why are you not returning his emails, where are his comics? We have heared nothing but good comments on you both US and UK,

please contact him, or pm me in regards to x-men cgg 119, 121 9.4's and a loose x-men 131 9.4.

Josh,

First off I have used Comic Link in the past and will do so again in the future. I like the selection that you have and I like the option to negotiate with the seller. I'm small time in comparison to many of these board members but so far every purchase I have made has been over $1K each. Anyways just a few comments on customer service. I'm not sure who I talked to each time I completed a transaction but:

- The few emails I have sent asking questions, were never responded to. Had to pick up the phone to get a response.

- I asked if it could be delivered by FedEx. The repsonse was yah, and then it was sent by some other courier. No big deal but why say yes?

- I once specified if a purchase could be sent to a specific address other than the billing address. Response was yes, but it was sent to the billing address. Again no big deal but a little annoying.

- I have requested a tracking number (thinking that I was going to get a FedEx #), and the person seemed reluctant. "Not something we normally do". Fair enough but I like to have an idea when it actually gets delivered. Next time I was able to get a tracking number and an estimation of when the book was going to arrive. Just a suggestion but for purchases over a ceratin dollar amount it might be nice to get a email confirming that the book has left and with it a tracking number.

Like I said before I like Comic Link and will use it again but the whole customer experience did make me look for alternatives. It makes as difference because one of your competitors does an excellent job after the purchase is confirmed and I won't hesitate to continue to use them. thumbsup2.gif

Just my two cents.

smile.gif

you must admit these are really small concerns, right? Certainly a business lives and dies on its customer service, But, primarily, its the product a company sells that is the prime factor in its success. ComicLink is Johnny-on-the-spot for this current market atmosphere. It offers top books to buyers in an efficient manner that also guarantees the seller top dollar (after commissions paid). Will ComicLinks "ownership" of its segment of the high grade market last? WHo knows. But apparently Josh has been very clever about getting this far (and above board in what has been (lets face it) a pretty scummy business at times) so if he needs more employees to fill in the gaps on the little things you experience, I get the feeling he'll step up when he needs to.

But the books you received wer as listed, right? and you paid what you chose to? And they didnt get lost, so all-in-all your purchases were smooth.

Yeah they are small issues but when you order from other places and they are more than accomodating and don't make you feel like your being a pest it gets your attention. There is just no excuse for not responding to emails as far as I'm concerned. sign-rantpost.gif

I do however like Comic Link, I have recommend them to others on this forum and I will use them again future.