• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

xmen 1 cgc 9.4 sells for $57K on comiclink!!!!!!!!!!

193 posts in this topic

xmen 1 cgc 9.4 sells for $57K on comiclink!!!!!!!!!!

I have a question: Are these crazy prices ever realized outside of comiclink?

ComicLink provides no real transparency on the actual buyers and sellers of sales. ComicLink also provides no indication of when a sale is actually completed (e.g. funds and book are transfered).

This lack of transparency is a recipe for abuse and possible manipulation of comic book prices. Not really all that tempting when your talking about a $5 book. There is certainly more motivation for abuse when we’re talking about $50K books... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Therefore, I ask the question again: Are these crazy prices ever realized outside of comiclink ? I would appreciate any and all thoughts on this subject matter.

bhampel

Is that such a crazy price for an X-Men #1?

Yes, it's five times guide, but I see 4-5 times guide on lots of Silver-Age NM books (many common issues).

While I agree, there is no way of knowing if there are fake sales going on, does it really matter on books like this? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Basically books like this are going to be sold at the SELLER's PRICE, not what Buyers want to pay for it. It like in Heritage's auctions, a lot of hard to find items are listed, but the reserves are extremely high. It doesn't really matter what the perceived market value is, it only matters what the seller has determine is a price they are willing to sell the book for.

Do I think $57K is a high price? Yes. Do I think someone really paid that price. Yes? :

While I agree, there is no way of knowing if there are fake sales going on, does it really matter on books like this?

Of course it does, as these kind of nose-bleed prices give the possible 'illusion' of a healthy market with lots of money floating around in it. And the prices inevitably trickle down through the lower grades.

It is important for buyers to know if these sales are genuine or not, because if they aren't, it stinks of market manipulation. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Of course it does, as these kind of nose-bleed prices give the possible 'illusion' of a healthy market with lots of money floating around in it. And the prices inevitably trickle down through the lower grades.

It is important for buyers to know if these sales are genuine or not, because if they aren't, it stinks of market manipulation.

Well stated as that's exactly the point I was trying to make. We'll never know if this is genuine or not, or if was completed with the buyer and seller exchaning money for goods. But regardless, people will still be quoting this sale price as the new benchmark of X-Men #1 9.4's for months to come. Think about it... The ability for manipulation is here as well as the motivation to make a sh**load of money. e.g. Has the 'real buyer' of the restored AF #15 9.6 been determined yet, or this book sitting in vaults of ComicLink?

bhampel

bhampel

u raise a very good point

just becos it says sold on the comiclink site , how can we actually beleive this is true

this sale, true or not, creates excitement and confidence in the market and hence it may spur someone to think oh, the 9.2 copy is a good buy @ $27k

im a bit skeptical also

Yes, it's five times guide, but I see 4-5 times guide on lots of Silver-Age NM books (many common issues).

While I agree, there is no way of knowing if there are fake sales going on, does it really matter on books like this? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Basically books like this are going to be sold at the SELLER's PRICE, not what Buyers want to pay for it. It like in Heritage's auctions, a lot of hard to find items are listed, but the reserves are extremely high. It doesn't really matter what the perceived market value is, it only matters what the seller has determine is a price they are willing to sell the book for.

Do I think $57K is a high price? Yes. Do I think someone really paid that price. Yes? :

I agree...there are no GPA sales of this book above 9.2, and there are no Heritage sales(?) of this book above 9.2. Has this book ever been offered publicly at 9.4 or above??

bhampel

u raise a very good point

just becos it says sold on the comiclink site , how can we actually beleive this is true

this sale, true or not, creates excitement and confidence in the market and hence it may spur someone to think oh, the 9.2 copy is a good buy @ $27k

im a bit skeptical also

Given Josh's good reputation in the market, I think Comiclink deserves the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise. The speed at which conspiracy theories build on these boards is truly frightening.

I agree...there are no GPA sales of this book above 9.2, and there are no Heritage sales(?) of this book above 9.2. Has this book ever been offered publicly at 9.4 or above??

GPA just tracks eBay and Heritage correct? I don't know if it tracks the other auctions sites (Mastro, Vault, etc.). Anyways, the absence of an X-Men 1 in CGC 9.4 on any of these "public" sites, and thus the absence from GPA, would seem to me to underscore how rarely this book actually comes on the market, particularly given its importance and the existing demand.

Don't get me wrong, I think $57k for this book is loony tunes, but I can understand how someone might take the plunge because they just don't know when they'll get another crack at another one.

good points. I havent seen a 9.4 or the 9.6 or 9.8s anywhere either. I think there's still must be a "shadow market" that works in the old fashioned way: bsd buyers buying from bsd sellers on very bsd books. It seems newcomer Comiclink has in a short time somehow joined this "cabal" as a middleman, or playa! More power to him, and good luck to the buyer. Thats a lotta pepperoni to pay...but it must be a sweet book

ComicLink has filled a niche between eBay fleamarket attitude & the hi-roller Heritage Signature auction. Just noticed that Josh also has a For Sale/Other items category that lists memorabilia e.g. Mickey Mouse 1932 1 sheet 893whatthe.gif for $55k.

Given Josh's good reputation in the market, I think Comiclink deserves the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise. The speed at which conspiracy theories build on these boards is truly frightening.

ComicLink is essentially the operator/owner of an unregulated marketplace. I’ve heard of no plans of ComicLink to become regulated/audited by an independent third party. Therefore, we’ll never know if these “nose-bleed prices” are for real sales that are genuine or not. As such, there is no way for “him to be proven otherwise” . Also, please re-read my statements. I never said he is manipulating the market. Instead I said, and I’ll quote:

ComicLink provides no real transparency on the actual buyers and sellers of sales. ComicLink also provides no indication of when a sale is actually completed (e.g. funds and book are transfered). This lack of transparency is a recipe for abuse and possible manipulation of comic book prices. Not really all that tempting when your talking about a $5 book. There is certainly more motivation for abuse when we’re talking about $50K books...

I’ve seen the same books obtain higher & higher “nose-bleed prices” that are never realized on any other forums. I’ll state it again, the ability to manipulate the market is available him as well as the motivation to make a sh**load of money if he were to abuse that power. Ask yourself this question, if you had that ability to manipulate the prices of books sales, would you take advantage of that situation. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

bhampel