• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Crime Suspense #22

148 posts in this topic

Did anyone win this book? It looked pretty nice - if I weren't broke I might have tried... I wonder what it's like in hand.

http://cgi.ebay.com/CRIME-SuspenStories-22-EC-Comics-1953-EX-NRMT-/250749565617?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a61d6bab1

There were a couple more that just sold. Anyone have a Gaines copy? I'd love to see one.

I was going to bid, but it was already higher than I was prepared to go before the last hour. Nice book but basically a mid-grade with decent eye-appeal.

I don't recall seeing a Gaines copy of this book, and like most pre-code fans I've been on the lookout for years. Certainly never seen one in person.

same. a mid grade EC for close to a grand? no thanks.

Bonds25 won a gaines copy of this book on heritage only to have his bid summarily cancelled - don't get him started

I heard that story. I was watching this book and put in a low bid on it as I sold mine recently and wanted a nice mid grade copy to replace it. This is probably the nicest copy I've seen come up for sale in the last few years, which is probably why it garnered such a high price. Important book but still mid grade and not worth the that price IMHO.

That book is very cool but not tough to find in mid grade. There's one constantly on ebay. ECs, including the CSS 20 and 22 have always gotten real hot and then cooled like an arctic freeze. Patience people, patience!

Interest in CSS 22 has finally sustained for the past 3 years or so. It may cool, but at this point it seems to have broken out from the rest of the ECs.

That book is very cool but not tough to find in mid grade. There's one constantly on ebay. ECs, including the CSS 20 and 22 have always gotten real hot and then cooled like an arctic freeze. Patience people, patience!

Interest in CSS 22 has finally sustained for the past 3 years or so. It may cool, but at this point it seems to have broken out from the rest of the ECs.

As it should I think, being such an important book. It's role in the demise of the comic book as people knew it did not reflect it's price as far as I'm concerned. I think there quite a few low to mid grade copies floating around which is probably keeping the price lower. Once anything above a 6.5 comes up for sale it's goes for a premium.

As it should I think, being such an important book. It's role in the demise of the comic book as people knew it did not reflect it's price as far as I'm concerned. I think there quite a few low to mid grade copies floating around which is probably keeping the price lower. Once anything above a 6.5 comes up for sale it's goes for a premium.

Well 3.0 range copies routinely break $200 if not more, which is fairly impressive given the relative ease with which they're found. But as far as I can recall, there's only one or two copies over 6.0 that have been around lately. A 7.0 or 7.5 was on the bay a while back & closed for under $700 IIRC. Given that raw 3.0s have hit $300 not infrequently that was a shock to me.

To my knowledge, there's only been one GFC on the market within the past 8-10 years -- publicly at least -- and I know two people who passed & greatly regret it. I have to think that if one came up it would fetch a ton.

I'm really looking forward to when I can find a copy of this book. I've made a pretty good start to my Bats and Supes collection, and this one has been on my hit list since I decided to move into the GA realm. And I agree--the historical significance behind this issue definitely lends to its desirability.

Well 3.0 range copies routinely break $200 if not more, which is fairly impressive given the relative ease with which they're found. But as far as I can recall, there's only one or two copies over 6.0 that have been around lately. A 7.0 or 7.5 was on the bay a while back & closed for under $700 IIRC. Given that raw 3.0s have hit $300 not infrequently that was a shock to me.

To my knowledge, there's only been one GFC on the market within the past 8-10 years -- publicly at least -- and I know two people who passed & greatly regret it. I have to think that if one came up it would fetch a ton.

:pullhair:

A 7.0 or 7.5 was on the bay a while back & closed for under $700 IIRC. Given that raw 3.0s have hit $300 not infrequently that was a shock to me.

That's the world I live and collect in and it does not surprise me. Lower grade books tend to sell for a higher % of guide than mid-grade books on a consistent basis. I'll be happy to pay "aggressively" for lower grade books compared to what I would bid on a higher grade book. With that $700, I'll spend $300 on the LG and spread the rest on other issues.

Bonds25 won a gaines copy of this book on heritage only to have his bid summarily cancelled - don't get him started

lol

Goldust40, here's a scan of the Gaines File copy:

crime2296.jpg

lol

crime2296.jpg

Fabulous book. You have every right to be miffed about the bid cancellation. I know I've been advised not to ask, but what exactly was the reason for Heritage's withdrawal of the book?

Man, that's a sweet copy. I can imagine what it would fetch at auction (if allowed to actually close). I'd be willing to dump quite a few other books to pick that one up. But low grades tend not to interest me - I'd rather buy a reprint or wait for something better... but almost a grand was steep.

lol

crime2296.jpg

Fabulous book. You have every right to be miffed about the bid cancellation. I know I've been advised not to ask, but what exactly was the reason for Heritage's withdrawal of the book?

The book had a reserve price, and I met the reserve about 1 or 2 days before the end of the auction. Apparently the seller had second thoughts, because I was then informed by Heritage that the reserve price had been raised higher.

lol

crime2296.jpg

The book had a reserve price, and I met the reserve about 1 or 2 days before the end of the auction. Apparently the seller had second thoughts, because I was then informed by Heritage that the reserve price had been raised higher.

There must be at least 3 or 4 GFCs of this book floating around. I noticed that there are a few HG copies above 9.0 and I can't imagine that many copies of this book surviving in that high a grade without being a FC. I recall seeing a list of all the file copies at some point, I just can't remember where now.