• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Crime Suspense #22

148 posts in this topic

same. a mid grade EC for close to a grand? no thanks.

Bonds25 won a gaines copy of this book on heritage only to have his bid summarily cancelled - don't get him started

lol

Goldust40, here's a scan of the Gaines File copy:

crime2296.jpg

Fabulous book. You have every right to be miffed about the bid cancellation. I know I've been advised not to ask, but what exactly was the reason for Heritage's withdrawal of the book?

The book had a reserve price, and I met the reserve about 1 or 2 days before the end of the auction. Apparently the seller had second thoughts, because I was then informed by Heritage that the reserve price had been raised higher.

Just out of curiosity, do you remember what your winning bid was before the auction was ended?

Fabulous book. You have every right to be miffed about the bid cancellation. I know I've been advised not to ask, but what exactly was the reason for Heritage's withdrawal of the book?

The book had a reserve price, and I met the reserve about 1 or 2 days before the end of the auction. Apparently the seller had second thoughts, because I was then informed by Heritage that the reserve price had been raised higher.

I know I am stating the obvious, but this is remarkably questionable behavior on the part of Heritage Auctions. I would be interested to hear a follow-up explanation from them, as well as assurance that policies have been set in place to maintain the integrity of their bidding process.

I know I am stating the obvious, but this is remarkably questionable behavior on the part of Heritage Auctions. I would be interested to hear a follow-up explanation from them, as well as assurance that policies have been set in place to maintain the integrity of their bidding process.

Unless the seller had contacted them about the reserve increase before the reserve bid was placed, and heritage was just slow on changing it.

Otherwise I agree that is questionable.

Unless the seller had contacted them about the reserve increase before the reserve bid was placed, and heritage was just slow on changing it.

Otherwise I agree that is questionable.

Heritage very clearly states the date by which reserves can be posted for the auction. It is often just a day or two before the auction, which I think it much later than it should be. I would prefer that bidding not start until reserves are posted.

Heritage very clearly states the date by which reserves can be posted for the auction. It is often just a day or two before the auction, which I think it much later than it should be. I would prefer that bidding not start until reserves are posted.

It's pretty obvious that they must have loads of hard data telling them otherwise, but on the face of it it's hard to figure that this doesn't hurt the auctions.

It's pretty obvious that they must have loads of hard data telling them otherwise, but on the face of it it's hard to figure that this doesn't hurt the auctions.

I had a weird experience on a Famous Funnies 214 about a year ago where I bid the book up way beyond what it should go for. If I remember correctly, it was something like $1500 for a CGC 7.0 OW/W (I've been irrational about that book for years and this one looked pretty nice). I didn't win, there was no reserve, and the book didn't sell. The listing was pulled and it isn't in the archives. They relisted it in the next signature auction and it sold for $956 (I didn't win it, had spent all my money by that time).

(shrug)

There's something funny happening there.

Considering that a raw copy in similar condition just auctioned for $780 or so, I would say you did very well.

Also, curiously enough, two Russ Cochran sets just sold for outrageous prices: One for $381, the other for $270. Usually they go for $100-$125. For some reason this title is really hot right now.

Considering that a raw copy in similar condition just auctioned for $780 or so, I would say you did very well.

Also, curiously enough, two Russ Cochran sets just sold for outrageous prices: One for $381, the other for $270. Usually they go for $100-$125. For some reason this title is really hot right now.

I know a boardie that paid over $800 for a graded copy in slightly better condition a few months back... we talked about it at the time and marveled at how all-over-the-board prices have been for this book. I'm just so pumped that I got a good copy for a decent price!

And talk about all over the board... I've seen HOF Cochran sets go for $125, then $350 a week later. I guess Crime Suspenstories is the latest to follow that trend. I've got a VOH set, as well as the Crime Patrol/War Against Crime combo. I think I paid $90 or so for VOH, and $35 for CP/WAC. So deals can definitely be had there!

:headbang:

I just picked up this copy on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360339282887

The BC is rough, but it presents really nicely from the front, and I thought it was a pretty fair price. What do you guys think?

Congrats and thanks for the business! Please check out the rest of the books I listed along with that one.. I listed over 500 CGCs mostly high grade and tried to give some great deals for collectors!

:headbang:

I just picked up this copy on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360339282887

The BC is rough, but it presents really nicely from the front, and I thought it was a pretty fair price. What do you guys think?

Congrats and thanks for the business! Please check out the rest of the books I listed along with that one.. I listed over 500 CGCs mostly high grade and tried to give some great deals for collectors!

Super excited to see the book Brian! There are definitely some other good deals to be had among your ECs - GL with the rest (thumbs u

same. a mid grade EC for close to a grand? no thanks.

Bonds25 won a gaines copy of this book on heritage only to have his bid summarily cancelled - don't get him started

lol

Goldust40, here's a scan of the Gaines File copy:

crime2296.jpg

I am the owner of this book. I must have purchased this book after all this transpired. I've never offered this book for sale or auction.