• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grading Costs

28 posts in this topic

PGX should get out of the grading game entirely, and just do unlabeled slabbing for those simply looking to have their books encased.

...in non-archival safe cases. Seriously, anyone who uses or advocates pgx is uninformed, misinformed, criminal , or stupid. Occasionally i will buy pgx books. But i crack them immediately, its not the poor comics fault. :grin:

For starters, as you said yourself, CGC has most of the market...essentially making PGX nearly pointless or obsolete.

I couldn't agree with you more, sometimes I wonder how is it that PGX is still in business.

which brings me to a brilliant idea that I had. PGX should change their business plan and stop competing with CGC, they need to develop there own grading structure. Perhaps go from a 25 point grading system to a 10 point grading system, offer slabbing/grading fees for $7 and $5 for a simple slabbing service with no grading for those who simply wish to have a nice way to present and store there more valuable books.

This would be something similar that beckett grading services offers in the sports card grading market. they have a full grading service and they have a more simplified grading scale that they offer for about 30% off.

I'm sure I'll agree with what most people here will say about PGX, I just wish some of the more educated members in this matter would educate the new members rather than dismiss their statements as insubstantial.

But if they are switching books would you send your books to them? I do like the way the books display in the CGC holders so this may be something you could suggest to CGC? :idea:

PGX should get out of the grading game entirely, and just do unlabeled slabbing for those simply looking to have their books encased.

...in non-archival safe cases. Seriously, anyone who uses or advocates pgx is uninformed, misinformed, criminal , or stupid. Occasionally i will buy pgx books. But i crack them immediately, its not the poor comics fault. :grin:

I suspected someone would have a problem with this suggestion. Perhaps I fall into the category of misinformed? I have read the opinions of some here that PGX cases are superior to CGC (I believe in regards to SCS)...are PGX cases really non-archival?

Edit: btw I am no PGX apologist, their sketchy past activities make them dead to me, I was just suggesting a possible new direction they might take