• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Hellblazer Review

76 posts in this topic

Hellblazer #197.

Stations of the Cross Part One: JC finds himself helped by some teenage good Samaritans into the clutches of an unfriendly cult (is there any other kind?) lead by an old enemy.

Some nice interior art from Tim Bradstreet.

121233.jpg.d25030472fca8c0bf43aaad3db1c3a72.jpg

Joined the 1000 BOOKS in 2012 book club.

Re-reading some HELLBLAZER stories seems an obvious choice(for me anyways).

Here are some of my comments from there:

HELLBLAZER 129-133 Son Of Man story arc by Garth Ennis and John Higgins

Story and art both get 5 NotSoNice Thumbs Up (thumbs u (thumbs u (thumbs u (thumbs u (thumbs u

HELLBLAZER 134-139 HAUNTED by Warren Ellis & John Higgins.

I don't read everything Ellis writes, but he pulls off a great little 6 issue story here.

Higgins comes through again on the art side. Crisp and clear and not at all like his previous arc. Just proving he's a master of the craft and can adapt it to fit the mood of the story when needed :applause:

HELLBLAZER 140-145.

Great run of self contained stories (thumbs u

HELLBLAZER 146-150 Hard Time by Azzarello & Corben. I like Azzarello. He's a writer, like Mike Carey, that must be re-read because they both plan out their storylines so well and in advance that they are able to plant seeds that they refer back to 20 issues later. Foreshadowing that is so subtle it's easy to miss(especially at my reading level). But when re-read you get that,'A-ha, now I see what this means."

I also like Corben, just not when he draws a chubby J.C. It's odd, every character in the five issues looked perfectly "normal' to me in that Corben style. But J.C. always looked weird/bad. Maybe because for the previous 145 issues I've been used to seeing him depicted one way, then he starts looking like Chas(Bono).

HELLBLAZER 151-156 Good Intentions. More Azzarello writing and beautiful Marcelo Frusin art.

Again, more hidden story nuggets and innuendos. GREAT STUFF (thumbs u

I absolutely love Hellblazer....it has been one of the very few titles that has never left my subscription list.

For my money nothing has beat the "Original Sin" story arc by Delano yet, although both "The Family Man" and "Dangerous Habits" comes close.

I am not sure how I feel about Peter Milligan and his run on the book so far. I probably could have done without the appearance by Shade, but i don't hate the storylines going on right now, they just aren't my favorites