• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is the best Superman story arc?

71 posts in this topic

If we're talking story arcs I've always enjoyed Superman 296-299. Superman finds that he's gradually losing his powers when he's about to have a showdown with a group of super-villains. There's also a favorite story from the early 60's (can't remember the issue) where Superman without powers goes mano-a-mano against Lex Luthor on some foreign planet. I seem to recall the story being written by Jerry Siegel. The great Superman stories are the ones where he finds he must use his wits to overcome something or another. The other day I re-read the Dr. Strange archives and was surprised at how much I enjoyed the Ditko stories...not because they relied on magical powers but more on human chicanery and tricking opponents.

I believe that is #164...

If we're talking story arcs I've always enjoyed Superman 296-299. Superman finds that he's gradually losing his powers when he's about to have a showdown with a group of super-villains. There's also a favorite story from the early 60's (can't remember the issue) where Superman without powers goes mano-a-mano against Lex Luthor on some foreign planet. I seem to recall the story being written by Jerry Siegel. The great Superman stories are the ones where he finds he must use his wits to overcome something or another. The other day I re-read the Dr. Strange archives and was surprised at how much I enjoyed the Ditko stories...not because they relied on magical powers but more on human chicanery and tricking opponents.

I believe that is #164...

Yeah, that's the one. I just looked it up in GCD and the story is listed as having been written by Edmond Hamilton. Really?

http://www.comics.org/issue/17933/

There are some great throwaway gags in this story contrasting Superman and Lex Luthor. While Superman wants a fair fight, Luthor (true to his nature) is always finding some way to cheat and gain one-upmanship.

"For the Man Who Has Everything" Superman Annual #11

"Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow" Superman #423 and Action Comics #583

All Star Superman

If your looking for something more thoughtful outside the whole "people in underwear hit each other" stuff check out

'It's a Bird" Vertigo GN

It's a Bird by Seagle was a fantastic book.

I don't really read too many Superman issues but I had a readers lot with some 20 centers drawn by Swan. They were all good.

For something modern, I loved Superman: For Tomorrow by Azzarello. It's not your typical Superman in space story. It has split reviews by fans.

The Superman run i read as a child was great. From about 300-340. A great Parasite arc, a great Kandor arc, the arc about the purple blotchy disease was great. It was one of my favorite books as a kid.

These are the books I read as a kid too. Along with issues 233 - 244 that Dale had mentioned, there is a lot of very good bronze age reading here. (thumbs u

Personally, I like the issues between Superman #233 - 244. Nothing groundbreaking, but pretty good stories and good Swan art. Also, I really like the Superman issues in the 310 - 340s. Not a particular storyline, just good solid issues for the most part.

I concur (thumbs u

The Superman run i read as a child was great. From about 300-340. A great Parasite arc, a great Kandor arc, the arc about the purple blotchy disease was great. It was one of my favorite books as a kid.

Yes, I loved reading those when I was younger. Some of my fave DC books of any area.

The new Superman vs. Brainiac story with Gary Frank artwork was one of the nicest drawn stories I have seen in a while. Really well done.

am I the only one that finds the Superman 423 Alan Moore story to be vastly overrated?

Yes and no. His story would make sense to those who have a lot of memories of the old Superman stories, since what Moore is doing is playing off the reader's expectations on the old tropes and giving it a more cruel modern twist. Of course if the reader isn't familiar with the mythos, Moore's story is irrelevant...and overrated.