• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is the best Superman story arc?

71 posts in this topic

"Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow"

Superman #423 and Action Comics #583

It is an imaginary tale that helped wrap up the series and send Sups off to the reboot in style. it was written by Alan Moore and it one of the few acclaimed Superman stories that i can think of.

Death of Superman was fun IMO but not great by any stretch of the imagination.

Man of Steel by John Byrne was really good too. I think i was a 6 part mini.

Some of my favorites are "Kingdom Come", Superman - "Red Son" and the Annual that Moore did (#12 maybe). I also liked that issue where Superman used his heat vision to burn into that guys brain (Elite), can't remember the issue but it was cool.

Some of my favorites are "Kingdom Come", Superman- "Red Son" and the Annual that Moore did (#12 maybe). I also liked that issue where Superman used his heat vision to burn into that guys brain (Elite), can't remember the issue but it was cool.

I need to read Red Son.

it was annual 11. Good choice! (thumbs u

108234.jpg.bb86cbf52c9344dc7d01166476789236.jpg

The three Alan Moore stories just before Byrnes revamp are the best Superman stories I've ever read, The two part Whatever happened to the Man of tomorrow and Annual #11. I also was really moved by the story where Mr Myfixit(sp) brings Krypto to earth and the dog goes crazy due to his sudden hyper senses. Supes makes Myfixit return him to Krypton and suddenly realizes he just sentenced his dog to death.

"For the Man Who Has Everything" Superman Annual #11

"Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow" Superman #423 and Action Comics #583

All Star Superman

If your looking for something more thoughtful outside the whole "people in underwear hit each other" stuff check out

'It's a Bird" Vertigo GN

SUPERMAN IN ACTION COMICS #775

Some of my favorites are "Kingdom Come", Superman - "Red Son" and the Annual that Moore did (#12 maybe). I also liked that issue where SUPERMAN IN ACTION COMICS #775 Superman used his heat vision to burn into that guys brain (Elite)

If we're talking story arcs I've always enjoyed Superman 296-299. Superman finds that he's gradually losing his powers when he's about to have a showdown with a group of super-villains. There's also a favorite story from the early 60's (can't remember the issue) where Superman without powers goes mano-a-mano against Lex Luthor on some foreign planet. I seem to recall the story being written by Jerry Siegel. The great Superman stories are the ones where he finds he must use his wits to overcome something or another. The other day I re-read the Dr. Strange archives and was surprised at how much I enjoyed the Ditko stories...not because they relied on magical powers but more on human chicanery and tricking opponents.

The Superman run i read as a child was great. From about 300-340. A great Parasite arc, a great Kandor arc, the arc about the purple blotchy disease was great. It was one of my favorite books as a kid.

Personally, I like the issues between Superman #233 - 244. Nothing groundbreaking, but pretty good stories and good Swan art. Also, I really like the Superman issues in the 310 - 340s. Not a particular storyline, just good solid issues for the most part.

233-244 is my favorite as well.

If we're talking story arcs I've always enjoyed Superman 296-299. Superman finds that he's gradually losing his powers when he's about to have a showdown with a group of super-villains.

I started buying Supes off the spinner rack with issue #295, so I also have a fondness for that arc. I remember my mom picking me up from school one day and handing me #299 that she'd picked up at the grocery store. I was so excited I read it on the way home.

Some great suggestions so far. All-Star Superman, the Denny O'Neil revamp (#233-#242), the no super powers arc (#296-#299). (thumbs u (thumbs u (thumbs u

A few not mentioned:

A 3-parter some time around #307-#309. Garcia-Lopez filled in for Curt Swan on the art, which was almost unheard of in the 1970s. One of those "everything you thought you knew was wrong" head-fakes. Neal Adams covers on at least a couple (I'm thinking of the one with Supergirl shattering Kandor).

Another 3-parter from Action Comics some time in the early #500's, where Lex Luthor goes straight. I think it was right next to a 2-parter featuring the ghost of Jonathan Kent, which was also very well done... so 5 great issues in a row-- a much better batting average than for most of the character's history.

I didn't care for John Byrne's Superman stuff, so most of the post-Crisis reboot left me cold. But for a time there right after Byrne left and before the Doomsday mega-hype, the Superman books were really really well done. From about the time of the "Dark Knight Over Metropolis" arc, whenever that was.