• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please identify this Batman story from my youth

18 posts in this topic

....and you have to do it without pictures!

There is an Batman comic from the late 70s or early 80s that I have been hunting high and low for with no luck.

- Artist unknown, writer unknown, no memory of cover art

- Not sure of title series (Batman, Detective, B&B, etc.)

- The story has Batman tracking a vampire (generic vampire character??). Matches Malow makes an appearance and the climax has Batman punching the fangs right of the Vampires mouth!

- I believe it was a one issue, stand alone story, but I could be wrong

- That is all I recall, and for all the Batman books I've read, I never came across this particular story again.

Can anyone help??

Not certain if the above is the one, but one way to approach it is to look at all the covers with Matches Malone (I assume you meant Malone and not Malow) appearances and see if it triggers your memory. There were only a few appearances in that period.

http://www.comics.org/character/name/matches%20malone/sort/chrono/

click on issue # or story to see the cover.

Between the 70's and 80's these are the only Vampire stories I can recall but nothing with Matches.

- Detective Comics 455

- The horrible storyline were Batman is turned into a Vampire Batman 349-350

- Action Comics Annual 1 - Which is a great story

I don't recall that as being horrible at all-- I like that period when Don Newton and Gene Colan were alternating on the artwork. Conway also was bringing back a lot of the supporting characters from the previous years: Boss Thorne, Arthur Reeves, Man-Bat, even the Human Target, and including Matches Malone. The storyline also crossed over in Detective 516-517, so maybe one of those was it.

I don't remember the bit about punching out the vampires fangs though...

I don't recall that as being horrible at all-- I like that period when Don Newton and Gene Colan were alternating on the artwork. Conway also was bringing back a lot of the supporting characters from the previous years: Boss Thorne, Arthur Reeves, Man-Bat, even the Human Target, and including Matches Malone. The storyline also crossed over in Detective 516-517, so maybe one of those was it.

I don't remember the bit about punching out the vampires fangs though...

I didn't say that this period was horrible just that storyline. Batman turning into a vampire and then feeding, really? It was pretty bad for me but different strokes.

I'm still betting on Tec 489.

There are Christmas toy boxes piled up in front of my comics in the garage (plus it's freezing out there), but the plot as I recall had Batman working with a vampire hunter and his tall foreign manservant to solve grisly murders. Turned out the vampire hunter was the murderer, using fake vampire fangs and after Batman catches him it turns out that the manservant was a real vampire and finding this out had turned the faux-vampire insane.

If this isn't settled by tomorrow I'll try and dig the issue out and post the 'smashing fangs' panel (if it's there).

There are Christmas toy boxes piled up in front of my comics in the garage (plus it's freezing out there), but the plot as I recall had Batman working with a vampire hunter and his tall foreign manservant to solve grisly murders. Turned out the vampire hunter was the murderer, using fake vampire fangs and after Batman catches him it turns out that the manservant was a real vampire and finding this out had turned the faux-vampire insane.

If this isn't settled by tomorrow I'll try and dig the issue out and post the 'smashing fangs' panel (if it's there).

Sounds like a candidate. Matches was in that one as well.

http://misc.thefullwiki.org/Detective_Comics_Vol_1_489

I think you are correct. I haven't read through all my Tec dollar issues. I just got through '75-77 last month.

108271.jpg.ae761a08fd2849042cefd45916fd0a02.jpg

I think you are correct. I haven't read through all my Tec dollar issues. I just got through '75-77 last month.

That's it! That's what I was looking for! Thankyou!

So this is out of 'TEC 489 for sure? I'll have to find a reader copy now and then a HG CGC copy....