• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Good shows for buying and selling?

15 posts in this topic

Hey all you comic guys out there!

I'm looking to make 2003 a travel year and attend a bunch of comic book shows accross the nation. Any ideas as to what else is there other than the usual:

-San Diego CC

-Wizard Con - Dallas, Chicago, Philly

-Mega Con

Please let me know what other shows you know of, name, dates, location, contact #, etc.

Thanks in advance to all who can help me.

Bryce

A less known, but good show is the Boston Comic Show held every three months at the Raddison Hotel in the theatre district. High Grade Comics, Super World Comics, Neat Stuff Collectibles and Odyessy Comics are regulars, plus you get a few that are there that might not usually do it. It's only six bucks to get in and I have the dates listed below :

Feb 23 , 2003

April 23, 2003

June 8, 2003

Sept. 21, 2003

Dec 7, 2003

Also, the Boston Mega Show that they just had in November that was three days , if they have it next year, it sucks ! - It wasn't any good the year before either. -

Skip Mega Con. I live in Florida and its not a good show for comic dealers its more media related and is filled with kids walking around getting freebies. Wizard Chicago and Philly are good shows as far as attendance wise. How you do selling depends on what you have but the buyers are there. Not sure about the new Wizard Texas show. I've done a few shows in Texas over the past few years and they generally suck but I'd have to give Wizard the nod because of their advertising clout I'm sure will bring in the people. The Pittsburg show is decent and is run by very nice promoters. Dragon Con brings a throng of people but is really not a comic show. You might do well there simply because there are so many people and very few comic dealers. Some hit or miss shows are Motor City, Mid Ohio Con, the New York show in Madison Square Gardens (not sure if Rich will have it again this year or not) If anyone has any input as a dealer please give it. I'm trying to figure out which shows go to this year as well. Chet

PS if you collect comic art and live close to Atlanta give the Atlanta Comic Con a shot. Its slowly building a decent atttendance but the nice thing is they usually have a ton of great artists and you will have access to get sketches and art that they wont have time to do for you at the bigger shows! I got a great Adam Hughes drawing done there as well as a few other things I picked up for friends from other artists for very cheap and they had the time to do very work!

Pittsburgh is an excellent show for buying comics - lots of people there and good deals to be had. Wizard World Philadelphia was good and Chicago is always excellent. I've heard very good things about the Minneapolis show in the fall. Heroes in Charlotte is also good. Baltimore!

The Portland, Oregon show is surprisingly good for actual comics. Around 150 dealer tables and typically 100+ are strictly comics (not a bunch of toys and Yu-Gi-Oh and Heroclix like most shows).

They do 3 shows a year, February June and October, next one is February 23rd. At the show last October I counted five different dealers with copies of X-Men 1, three with Hulk 1, nine different dealers with Hulk 181, seven dealers with Tomb of Dracula 10, and so on... They've been running the show since 1978 and it shows...

We'll have to see with the new Seattle show (February 9th) is any good. They've been pimping it for several months and the guest list looks good, but Seattle shows don't have a great history...

Dim sum Dan,

Portland, OR 1 or 2 day comicons are better than the one's in Seattle, WA. After the con, u can always drive to Mt St. Helens near Vancouver, WA. If u drove non-stop, it would take u about 6.5 hrs to get there fr Canada. With greggy nagging u enroute grin.gif , u must allow more time for pit stops.