• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The 2010 Nik Memorial Grading Contest *Round 10* Results

75 posts in this topic

[i felt we should have been told foxing does not effect grade for the round. But eff it.

I think it did, as if you take away the foxing and assume (as per joey and Doc) that the issue above the price is a printing defect, that book is an easy 9.2 and looks as on par with the over-graded MGC 9.4 that started off the contest.

[i felt we should have been told foxing does not effect grade for the round. But eff it.

I think it did, as if you take away the foxing and assume (as per joey and Doc) that the issue above the price is a printing defect, that book is an easy 9.2 and looks as on par with the over-graded MGC 9.4 that started off the contest.

I believe that crease near the spine is too long for a 9.2

I felt we should have been told foxing does not effect grade for the round. But eff it.

That would be like them telling us how much each and every defect affects the grade by. The whole point of the contest is to try and guess the correct grade.

(shrug)

Also, one last point...in my experience foxing has looked worse on a scan than in person.

Can any of the contest organizers actually say if the foxing looks better or worse with the book in hand compared to the scan?

Also, one last point...in my experience foxing has looked worse on a scan than in person.

Can any of the contest organizers actually say if the foxing looks better or worse with the book in hand compared to the scan?

Scans always make foxing and stains, and tanning, and dirt look worse. :makepoint:

Foxing is no different than any of those other "environmental flaws", it's just under the Pedigree Protection Plan initiative.

The greatest collection find of all time is the Church Pedigree. I doubt if even 1% of those books contain foxing. There might be a rule made to preserve pedigrees but if so, I have a hard time seeing foxing as being the game breaker. Was it done because of the Larson find? Possible, as it is one of the earliest Ped finds in the hobby and a very impressive one at that.

Also, an interesting observation that you might want to remember. I notice that books with foxing typically have exceptional paper quality. The Larson and the D/Crippen books were heavy on foxing and from my experience those pedigrees, even though they were stored in conditions that were not ideal, had great page quality.

If I'm not mistaken the Larson Ped. was actually stored in a barn and is renowned for having great page quality.

For some reason the conditions that are ideal for creating foxing are also ideal for preserving page quality in the interior pages of the books.

I do not own any Larson books.... but I do own Crippen books ( and they are very nice) I have in the past owned a Mile High book and hope to again before too long

As I mentioned above, joey/Doc have stated it is actually a printing defect where the color didn't hold.

As I mentioned above, joey/Doc have stated it is actually a printing defect where the color didn't hold.

If that's the case, it would appear that there was a small deduction for the foxing.

If that's the case, it would appear that there was a small deduction for the foxing.

Yup. Even more amazed that I got this one right then.

lol

well, I have somehow managed to be tied for 2nd...unfortunately, I head out of the country for a few weeks, so going to have a bunch of zero's for a while...just keep that in mind when the final results are in lol

well, I have somehow managed to be tied for 2nd...unfortunately, I head out of the country for a few weeks, so going to have a bunch of zero's for a while...just keep that in mind when the final results are in lol

You can't get internet access where you're heading to? (shrug)

will be on a church mission trip in Thailand...no "tech" (no phones, email, internet, etc...will be in villages where tin walls and dirt are "homes")

will be on a church mission trip in Thailand...no "tech" (no phones, email, internet, etc...will be in villages where tin walls and dirt are "homes")

Well, I commend you for doing something like that. (worship) I always wanted to go on a trip like that to see how the rest of the world lived. I know in some countries people have to live in absolutely deplorable conditions. :(