• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question reference raw vs. pgx

51 posts in this topic

A huge variable in the equation for me, is who is the seller.
Exactly. I give PGX less credence than CGC, but I'm not sure that either are reliable.

PGX has stains on it that it may never overcome without an overhaul.

The only problem I've had and voiced about CGC is their inconsistency (+/- .5 grades is a potential 10% error rate). If that was a business standard across all boards your TV, laptop, car, microwave, nothing would work. Now I'm going to add that their turn-around time is horrendous for people that buy on Ebay, where many of their subs may originate. By the time you get your books back it's usually too late to take action against a seller.

These are all management issues. Unlike PGX I don't believe that CGC has done anything malicious or reckless to potentially harm its customers. I'll stick with CGC for now.

I agree with this. Guy sends out a 3rd print and gets a mislabel back. Sets up his video camera and tries to win an Oscar. Listen to his pauses. His reactions. How the comic never leaves the frame. How he talks to the camera. The timing is off on his reactions. Was this the only comic he ever documented this way? Does he reopen all of his PGX subs and why? I have serious doubts to the authenticity of his claims.

I'm going to read that thread that was linked before. It's another novel :)

Although I agree it comes across as a bad movie ("Just got off the phone with my honey. Uhmmm uhhhhmm"), it turns out he had filmed a few books while opening the PGX cases.

There was a video on youtube of some guy cracking his book and the book was not what was on the label. Not sure how credible the video is since why would he crack the book and just "happen" to be recording it.

Read this and decide for yourself.

I just read it and I'm dizzy. I wouldn't put too much weight on the ex-employee and the accusations. If the person came forward while working there or had proof other than their own words I would give them more credibility. It was also mentioned that this person would be talking to an ADA rather than posting on a board; true.

Letting someone take home books to grade and slab them breaks something called the chain of custody. Once the book leaves a controlled environment the returning book can no longer be called the same item.

I agree with this. Guy sends out a 3rd print and gets a mislabel back. Sets up his video camera and tries to win an Oscar. Listen to his pauses. His reactions. How the comic never leaves the frame. How he talks to the camera. The timing is off on his reactions. Was this the only comic he ever documented this way? Does he reopen all of his PGX subs and why? I have serious doubts to the authenticity of his claims.

I'm going to read that thread that was linked before. It's another novel :)

Although I agree it comes across as a bad movie ("Just got off the phone with my honey. Uhmmm uhhhhmm"), it turns out he had filmed a few books while opening the PGX cases.

I just read a LONG post about PGX and letting an employee take home books to grade and slab. His story is more credible knowing this. Even if the employee took a TMNT 1 first print home, if he brought it back graded and slabbed the next day, the book should be considered NOT to be the one that left the premise the day before. If this person working from home in fact did swap books, this would be a criminal charge that PGX would have had to follow-up with.

Gator has a Superman Golden Age book that once he opened the PGX case he discovered the wrong page is attached to the book. Yet this was not noted on the label.

Unfortunately, he didn't film it after talking with his honey. :insane:

Back in 2006 when I returned to the hobby, I was duped by one of the many shill-seller accounts from PGX. Seller was located in Arizona, the book was sent from Oregon.

I purchased a Pre-Code horror comic graded by PGX as (FN+) 6.5. When I received the book, I'd noticed there was a large crack on both of the bottom hinges. So I decided to cracked the book out. Once it was freed from the broken PGX tomb, I'd noticed there was an almost book length spine split. The grade of the book was no better than a (GD) 2.0. The book was over-graded by 4 and 1/2 grades. From that point on, I've refused to buy any comic that has been graded by PGX. Raw books are much safer.

That ebay account was arizonabaksfan or something like that.It was a shill acount for Ryan Elliott for a short while.

His new shill account is vondoom.Currently selling a eerie fake as the real deal.The third one hes sold in less than a year.

This is a good point. If he did send out a 3rd printing and got a mislabel, this might make a good way to scam PGX. The question is: Does he have other documentation, such as an invoice from before the submission? Or screenshots and a record of where he bought the comic? Also, what is PGX's side of this story? Did they claim he defrauded them, or did they admit their error? If so, was the responsible party (Ryan?) fired or otherwise held responsible -- possibly legally? Finally, if this guy was defrauding PGX, what purpose would it serve to keep the video online and continue encouraging people to watch it?

Regarding his attempt to "win an Oscar," I think we can all agree this guy is a little atypical to begin with (like many comic collectors), so his dramatic behavior and his motives for videotaping could be any number of things. I do wish he had invested in a camera tripod and just kept the shot wide the whole time.

If I were the owner of PGX, I would want to be all over this in terms of explaining what happened, why it happened, and how steps have been taken to ensure it will never happen again.