• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Superhero Museum auction

31 posts in this topic

Now that's disturbing.

Anyways, I just let the auction house know that the "special effects models" of george reeves used in blue-screen flying, etc. seem eerily similar to the IDC resin model kits that fans can glue together and paint themselves....

I have one of these unbuilt resin kits sitting in the top of a closet. Terry Reynolds was the sculptor (if I remember).

Here's the auction description:

George Reeves Superman Resin Special Effects Movie Model Assembled and painted in the manner of George Reeves (Superman). This model would have been used in still shots, ad shots and special effects scenes. 14 1/4" tall Very good condition

Estimate $1,000-2,000

82258.jpg

Watching the auction on the live feed. Seems like they have a full room of eager bidders.

The george reeves unassembled garage kit sold for $250.

The platinum bagged Superman #75, Adventures #500 pair sold for $160. Are they worth that much?

The lot with Action #52 sold for $225.

:popcorn:

Aw, they pulled the video feed before they got to auctioning off the mountains of uncatelogued material. They had only 114 lots (many of them poorly labeled, and an odd selection - like the 35mm trailer to Batman Begins was one of the slots).

The other thousand-some items are just piled on tables. They posted a hundred or so photos of the accumulation. Most of it is stuff worth less than $30. I still wonder why they didn't list more auctions for online bidders (or shoot, put it all on ebay in a thousand separate lots). It was neat to poke through the photos, looking for gems (and upsetting that I was a few states away). Among a pile of random store-bought books is a 1942 copy of Lowther's Adventures of Superman, and in around the random Superman dolls is an incomplete 1947 Superbaby (a complete version was recently on ebay for $2.4k). I was hoping to watch the feed to see if anyone got any great steals.

The irony is that one of the books in the pile was "The Adventures of Superman Collecting" which would have identified for them every rare item they had.