• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is your favourite run of covers, interior art or stories?

55 posts in this topic

What is your favourite run of covers, stories, or interior artwork? Could be a classic storyline, exceptional art, or an unusually strong sequence of covers - or all three!

For me it has to be the covers of Fight Comics #27 to #46, which just beats out Hit #1 -#15, Jumbo #9-#20 and the Planet rivet run. While individual covers may be stronger elsewhere, I find it impossible to think of a more sustained run of quality covers. It's the run that really leapt out at me when I first opened Gerber...

Here they are in four sets of five:

FightComics2755.jpg

FightComics2880.jpg

FightComics2985Dcopy.jpg

FightComics3060.jpg

FightComics3170.jpg

For me it has to be the covers of Fight Comics #27 to #46, which just beats out Hit #1 -#15, Jumbo #9-#20 and the Planet rivet run. While individual covers may be stronger elsewhere, I find it impossible to think of a more sustained run of quality covers. It's the run that really leapt out at me when I first opened Gerber...

Joe Doolin was the artist of the majority of the covers you posted.

Here is a pulp cover by him.

rapid-fire193304.jpg

Rapid-Fire Detective Stories (April 1933)

All I can say is that I'm with you on the run of Fight.

Artwork-wise, you might agree also but the Lorna run is pretty darn entertaining from start to finish IMO.

I could post those too unless you want to? I find the extraordinary interior artwork by Werner Roth to be the best ever rendering of a jungle girl.

P1010001.jpg

And I love these two Russ Heath covers!

LornatheJungleGirl660.jpg

LornatheJungleGirl760.jpg

Joe Doolin was the artist of the majority of the covers you posted.

Here is a pulp cover by him.

rapid-fire193304.jpg

Rapid-Fire Detective Stories (April 1933)

Intriguing cover with brilliant use of color as a compositional tool (think Matisse) . If not for the sig I would not have recognized his style.

One of my favorite strips was Norge Benson, illustrated by Al Walker, in Planet 12-22.

I also like the Greasemonkey Griffin series, also by Walker, that ran in Wings 9-34.

Here are some scans posted by Scrooge several years ago.

43604-Planet17-Norge1.jpg

43605-Planet17-Norge2.jpg

43606-Planet17-Norge3.jpg

43607-Planet17-Norge4.jpg

43608-Planet17-Norge5.jpg

43609-Planet17-Norge6.jpg

One of my favorite strips was Norge Benson illustrated by Al Walker in Planet 12-22.

I also like the Greasemonkey Griffin series, also by Walker, that ran in Wings 9-34.

Here are some scans posted by Scrooge several years ago.

43604-Planet17-Norge1.jpg

43605-Planet17-Norge2.jpg

43606-Planet17-Norge3.jpg

43607-Planet17-Norge4.jpg

43608-Planet17-Norge5.jpg

43609-Planet17-Norge6.jpg

I love those! The sophistication of the artwork stands out from the relatively primitive material in most of the other stories (apart from the great Doolin artwork, which was stunning). I dont think I've got that one.

This was my first of the 'late' (this is last ish) Wonder and Startlings with Xela covs. I was thrilled to discover that the insides: Tara, Wonderman, Silver Knight- were almost as cool. Great, great stuff...

img320.jpg

I no longer have any of these but I recall that they had some pretty good splash pages.

well this wasn't the ? but my fave TITLE (ie the words themselves) is Forbidden Worlds. I like the ACG storytelling and many of the artists, started buying in 1960 (8) now prefer the precode- but still am moved by the charming promise...

img322.jpg

Edited by pcalhoun