• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is your favourite run of covers, interior art or stories?

55 posts in this topic

well this wasn't the ? but my fave TITLE (ie the words themselves) is Forbidden Worlds. I like the ACG storytelling and many of the artists, started buying in 1960 (8) now prefer the precode- but still am moved by the charming promise...

img322.jpg

ACGs from the mid-1950s are really tough. You've reminded me that Adv into the Unknown had a great run from 71-80. Forbidden too from the same era. Stories full of charm and Ogden Whitney art as well! Some great covers in there. I'll post some scans tomorrow! (thumbs u

I'm a big fan of the entire Planet run from start to finish. There isn't a dud in the whole run. Its amazingly consistent, from above average to great the whole way. Actually, as discussed in another thread, the best ones are the last 10 or so.

BB- you dog! I was gonna do Drew (have all 11!) but was waiting 'cause so much FH -hmmmppffhh!!!!#%*+

I only have a few scans of Dr. Drew. You can add some more. Did you write an article about Dr. Drew for CBM or is that a different PCal?

This was a nice strip stuck in Fiction House with other strips by Baker, Kamen and Webb. It is amazing that it gets noticed at all but I think of it as a French Impressionist comic strip. Nice work.

The art also reminds me of work by Eisner (layouts as well as inking). The last story or two in the series must have been inked by someone else because it looks different. I like this splash too.

5353927099_b1da46f904_b.jpg

and this one.

5353927133_5d6e11c4ba_z.jpg

I'm a big fan of the entire Planet run from start to finish. There isn't a dud in the whole run. Its amazingly consistent, from above average to great the whole way. Actually, as discussed in another thread, the best ones are the last 10 or so.

I think I like the art by Murphy Anderson better than Whitman. And I like his Life on Other Worlds series.

5353958249_f96810d22a_z.jpg

All great reads in the Planet run. My favorite story line is Lost world. Very consistent storyline and characters. Well drawn.

My second favorite is Mysta of the moon. Below is the first panel where she appears in Planet comics. She's the one in the red outfit in case you want to know. It is in issue 35. :gossip: It has an Awesome cover also to go with great interior art.

img018.jpg

more PCH- I picked the 'mad scientist' cover for BB who should know I was joshing about his 'scooping' me on Dr Drew- I am of course pleased to see us on the same page so often! Sheldon 'Shelly' Moldoff's story of how he pitched a prototype of 'This Mag Is Haunted' with horror host Dr Death to Bill Gaines BEFORE EC started their 'hosted horror' rings truer every day and adds stature to this already strong title. Fawcett horror was fun.

img326.jpg

Michelle Nolan wrote an article about ACG for CBM years ago in which she said that Adventures into the Unknown #70 -#79 had some exceptional material. They are also very tough to track down because of low print runs - but I did eventually find them and they are hugely enjoyable, just as her article had promised.

They are generally characterised by a combination of romance, fantasy wish fulfillment, time travel, mythology, spaceships, dinosaurs and alien races. The often poignant stories were almost all written by editor Richard Hughes. They featured Harry Lazarus, Curt Schaffenburger, and of course Ogden Whitney. Here is a selection of the best covers, all from the mid-50s:

AdventuresintotheUnknown63.jpg

AdventuresintotheUnknown72.jpg

AdventuresintotheUnknown73.jpg

AdventuresintotheUnknown77.jpg

ForbiddenWorlds35.jpg

ForbiddenWorlds36.jpg

ForbiddenWorlds84.jpg

Here is another run that really hit me when I first perused Gerber - Fight Against Crime #12-21 (dont have #12 or #14 right now). I know that scrooge is of the view that the interiors are rather dull, but actually, the art and stories are pretty strong - clearly stealing from EC but with a style of their own - and Story had some pretty slick artists as well!

FightAgainstCrime1370.jpg

FightAgainstCrime1560.jpg

FightAgainstCrime1670.jpg

FightAgainstCrime1760.jpg

FightAgainstCrime1870.jpg

FightAgainstCrime1960.jpg

FightAgainstCrime2045.jpg

FightAgainstCrime2175.jpg

Edited by alanna

Here is another run that really hit me when I first perused Gerber - Fight Against Crime #12-21 (dont have #12 or #14 right now). I know that scrooge is of the view that the interiors are rather dull, but actually, the art and stories are pretty strong - clearly stealing from EC but with a style of their own - and Story had some pretty slick artists as well!

Great run of Fight Against Crime. I think they are all well done, all very readable. The notorious teens are great for horror fans, but even earlier, pure crime issues had some great stories.

Great run of Fight Against Crime. I think they are all well done, all very readable. The notorious teens are great for horror fans, but even earlier, pure crime issues had some great stories.

Quite right - and some of them are really tough to find! I guess I prefer the later covers because of the change in artist.

Jack Cole's Midnight run from Smash Comics ( nos. 68-85) is, by far, one of my all-time favorites. (Thanks HP.)

Smash Comics 77

smash7703a.jpg

Smash Comics 78

smashcomics7803a.jpg

You can do alot worse than Smash without trying too hard. It's my favorite title by far.

From 1-85 there's always something worth reading, but Cole did seem to be

having lots of fun when he came back to Midnight for these later stories.

You can do alot worse than Smash without trying too hard. It's my favorite title by far.

Yeah man. (thumbs u

It's easy to see why it's your favorite title. There's just so much great stuff to be found in those books... Eisner's Espionage , Gustavson's The Jester, Jim Mooney's (Jim Mooney?!) Wildfire, Nordling's Lady Luck, and arguably the greatest superhero art ever produced in Fine/Crandall/Fine's The Ray.

Cole's early run on Midnight is really interesting. It has to be a transitional work. It looks like he's trying to figure out how to balance the realistic with the cartoony. He hasn't quite divorced himself from the foundation yet (Realism) so the work has an odd feel. But when he comes back to Midnight later in the title he's got it dialed in and he's firing on all cylinders. It's brilliant stuff.

Yeah man. (thumbs u

It's easy to see why it's your favorite title. There's just so much great stuff to be found in those books... Eisner's Espionage , Gustavson's The Jester, Jim Mooney's (Jim Mooney?!) Wildfire, Nordling's Lady Luck, and arguably the greatest superhero art ever produced in Fine/Crandall/Fine's The Ray.

Cole's early run on Midnight is really interesting. It has to be a transitional work. It looks like he's trying to figure out how to balance the realistic with the cartoony. He hasn't quite divorced himself from the foundation yet (Realism) so the work has an odd feel. But when he comes back to Midnight later in the title he's got it dialed in and he's firing on all cylinders. It's brilliant stuff.

You guys are right on the money. Many of these "lesser" titles get overlooked, and happily, that makes them more affordable for us bottom feeding geeks. The interiors on quite a few GA second and third tier titles are simply fantastic.

You guys are right on the money. Many of these "lesser" titles get overlooked, and happily, that makes them more affordable for us bottom feeding geeks. The interiors on quite a few GA second and third tier titles are simply fantastic.

As a general rule, the interior of a golden age book is inversely proportionate to the

cover. There are some exceptions, so don’t beat me over the head with Lou Fine

Hit covers, but most Quality comics have rather boring covers that have little to do

with the interiors. And common sense would dictate that I wait until AFTER I get

the last four Smash books I need to start hyping these books, but that's

something I never seem to have enough of...

Yeah man. (thumbs u

What he said! (thumbs u

Michelle Nolan wrote an article about ACG for CBM years ago in which she said that Adventures into the Unknown #70 -#79 had some exceptional material. They are also very tough to track down because of low print runs - but I did eventually find them and they are hugely enjoyable, just as her article had promised.

They are generally characterised by a combination of romance, fantasy wish fulfillment, time travel, mythology, spaceships, dinosaurs and alien races. The often poignant stories were almost all written by editor Richard Hughes. They featured Harry Lazarus, Curt Schaffenburger, and of course Ogden Whitney. Here is a selection of the best covers, all from the mid-50s:

all the books you posted have the stamp...

please explain how this can be when everyone agrees that the code killed the genre???