• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grade my Amazing Spider-Man #74

56 posts in this topic

Brian's Books in Santa Clara. Even though I live in SF, I play golf in Sunnyvale every Saturday morning and I stop by Brian's Books every weekend after my round. It's a great store with a pretty good back issue selection and fair prices. And the people who work there are really great. My only complaint is that they don't sell mylars and fullbacks, but I can get those online anyway so no big whoop. It's a far better store than any I know of in SF.

p.s. where is this/your LCS? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Do they have any nice stuff? I think I've been to Amazing Adventures (it was a few years ago), but I haven't been to Al's.

only stores i know that sell SA in the city is al's comics on guerrero and amazing adventures on noriega. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I'll let you know what it gets when I send it in. Having said that, keep in mind that I have the benefit of having the book in hand and I tend to be a pretty accurate grader (when I'm not missing 2 inch chunks out of the cover of a silver age Tales of Suspense 893whatthe.gif). I've compared it to several CGC 9.4s that I have and it looks as nice as any of them. Based on the OGG, I would give it a 9.4. It *might* get a 9.2, but I wouldn't go that low. There is not a single 9.2 in the OGG that has as little wear as this book. I know that some people tend to have blinders on when grading their own books, but I did "grade" this book before I bought it, at a time when it belonged to someone else.

Amazing Adventures is awful, don't make the trip.. not worth it.

I still don't agree with you on that book being a 9.4, even with the poor scans it doesn't look like one.

Brian

What kind of silver age stuff do they have in high grade? Does either shop have any nice HG silver age Spideys? gossip.gif893crossfingers-thumb.gif

listen to brian, he lives in iowa and hasn't been out to the city in a couple of years. foreheadslap.gif if you have the time and patience, i'd say check it out......what do you have to lose? gossip.gifconfused-smiley-013.gif

i went to AA about two years ago to pick up some [!@#%^&^] for greggy that i'd won for him on eBay, foreheadslap.gif they had a half box of HG books in mylar at over OS guide. 893whatthe.gif haven't been back since, but it might be worth the trip in to foggy land. 893scratchchin-thumb.gifconfused-smiley-013.gif

Yep, cause I definately haven't been there in the past year. You assume far too much.

They don't have [!@#%^&^]. To them, HG means VF. When I was there the nicest book they had was a NM- Iron Man 1. They have a so-so selection of mid-grade Silver Age Marvel. Very small store.

Brian

This is why I haven't been going to stores in SF. For the most part, they suck. There are two stores in Berkeley that are ok, but Brian's Books in Santa Clara is hands down the best comic store that I've been to in the bay area. It's the only comic store that is on par with the store I used to buy from in the late 1980s. Quite a few NM silver age books (Captain America 100, Nick Fury #1, FF #48 and some others in raw NM- or better) and a lot more mid- to high-grade stuff, including a ton of SA Marvel keys (an almost complete run of Amazing Spider-Man 2 to 38 in VG to VF+) and more than a few mid-grade GA DCs. The owner hates hassling with eBay so he refuses to sell his back issue stock there (which means he's always got at least a few books on the wall that I want). All of the books are graded strictly and priced at OS guide at condition. Also, he does not have any CGC books in stock, as I think the notion of CGC offends him. 27_laughing.gif, he's a total old school comic store owner.

While we're on the topic, Lee Hester is another good guy. He has two Lee's Comics stores, one in Mountain View and one in San Mateo. I have only been to the Mountain View store. It's mostly new stuff, but he does have some goodies left over from his last couple of collection purchases (he also has Alex Ross come into his store for a signing once a year, as they are buddies). Lee is a very strict grader and prices his books fairly. He does slab and sell some books on ebay though, so he doesn't have as many SA Marvel keys on the wall as Brian's Books does. Overall, I like Lee Hester because Lee is super friendly and will sit and talk to you for an hour, but Brian's Books is a better store and Brian is a pretty nice guy in his own right.

Yep, cause I definately haven't been there in the past year. You assume far too much.

They don't have [!@#%^&^]. To them, HG means VF. When I was there the nicest book they had was a NM- Iron Man 1. They have a so-so selection of mid-grade Silver Age Marvel. Very small store.

Brian

I meant to bring up this about Cali area shops. Isn't there a street called El Camino Real in S.F. or that area? There's a comic shop I bought a bunch of books from on that road, through the internet a while back. All were graded very nicely and the prices were good. Got a ASM 122 9.4 for 100 dollars, given it was 4 years ago..

Brian

El Camino Real is a really long street (over 50 miles long, probably much longer even). Hwy 82. Brian's Books is on El Camino Real, as is Lee's Comics in San Mateo. You probably bought from Lee's Comics. Lee Hester (the owner) is a great guy.

I meant to bring up this about Cali area shops. Isn't there a street called El Camino Real in S.F. or that area? There's a comic shop I bought a bunch of books from on that road, through the internet a while back. All were graded very nicely and the prices were good. Got a ASM 122 9.4 for 100 dollars, given it was 4 years ago..

Brian

Lee's Comics is a cool store, but as I've said umpteen times, Brian's Books is my favorite. Great silver stuff on the walls, tight grading, and OPG pricing at strict grade.

Probably was Lee's, never heard of Brian's Books.

Brian