• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The 2010 Nik Memorial Grading Contest *Round 13*

117 posts in this topic

I didnt know a 9.6 could have 4 stress ticks on the spine? I said 9.2 (shrug)

+1

Same here. 9.2. Four ticks on the spine? I got a 9.4 Flaming Carrot #1 with one tick thats a 9.4. I may bail out of this contest to save myself from further humiliation. lol

DR.X

Please tell me who all got the grade right on that one so I know who to not buy comics from in the future.

Avoid me like the plague, baby!

I was going 9.2 or 9.4, but bumped it, figuring those spine stress marks are more light reflection from the scanner than stress lines.

Please tell me who all got the grade right on that one so I know who to not buy comics from in the future.

Avoid me like the plague, baby!

I was going 9.2 or 9.4, but bumped it, figuring those spine stress marks are more light reflection from the scanner than stress lines.

Andrew, if you look at the bottom half of the rear scan, along the spine, you'll see those lines are real. I do agree though that the dark cover can make them appear magnified in a scan, which is what was informing my thoughts to bump.

I just sold tortoise a CGC 9.4 copy of this book that has 2 spine ticks and is gorgeous otherwise. This book has 3 or 4 spine ticks and gets graded a 9.6? :screwy:

One of 2 things is being proven by this grading contest. Either CGC's grading standards have loosened substantially or I'm consistently getting screwed when I send books in. Maybe both. :mad:

What's with all the whining? An obviously high grade book with a few tiny flaws - what did you expect?

I thought it could be a 9.4 on a bad day or a 9.8 on a good day - so 9.6 was the smart bet.

Now that Tomahawk 116 is another story. :cry:

I think the contest organizers threw in slabs of poorly/controversial graded books to have some fun because

a) the grade range will be larger?

b) the discussion will be more lively?

c) it is more fun that way?

not that I have any problems with that because I certainly would do that...I would love to donate a hew head scratcher slabs next year so everyone can get rile up on the results.

Honestly, I thought the book was a solid 9.6 for a BRONZE book but I decided to knock it down one grade for Modern since I have never submit a modern book or even own a modern slab to know if grading is slightly tighter for moderns.

all in all, a good learning process.

I thought some of the dots were scanner dust (they are circular) so I bumped it to a 9.4 from a 9.2, but that was really just because I seem to be too low all the time...

I DID learn how to invert and sharpen a scan...so it was a worthwhile experience:)

ASMV236fIsharp.jpg

I think the contest organizers threw in slabs of poorly/controversial graded books to have some fun because

not that I have any problems with that because I certainly would do that...I would love to donate a hew head scratcher slabs next year so everyone can get rile up on the results.

Honestly, I thought the book was a solid 9.6 for a BRONZE book but I decided to knock it down one grade for Modern since I have never submit a modern book or even own a modern slab to know if grading is slightly tighter for moderns.

all in all, a good learning process.

Thats just crazy! A 9.6 book should be a 9.6 book no matter what the age of the book. :makepoint:

Truthfully, we worked with what raw books nik had in his collection. The majority of the "good" stuff had already been graded. We sprinkled in a few big keys for the fun of it and one or two others because they were/are off the grid.

Before, I told nik a thousand times he was crazy for going to all this trouble. After helping organize the contest, I can understand, for the first time, the fun nik had putting these on. Some of the PMs are a trip. lol

Truthfully, we worked with what raw books nik had in his collection. The majority of the "good" stuff had already been graded. We sprinkled in a few big keys for the fun of it and one or two others because they were/are off the grid.

Before, I told nik a thousand times he was crazy for going to all this trouble. After helping organize the contest, I can understand, for the first time, the fun nik had putting these on. Some of the PMs are a trip. lol

Its like watching the Grinches heart grow all over again :cloud9:

Its like watching the Grinches heart grow all over again :cloud9:

Shut it. :sumo: