• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sin City movie update...

8 posts in this topic

Received this in my email box last Friday, some of which I already knew:

"According to The Hollywood Reporter, A-list talent such as Leonardo

DiCaprio (Titanic), Bruce Willis (Die Hard), Elijah Wood (The Lord of the

Rings), Mickey Rourke (Barfly), Brittany Murphy (Spun), Kate Bosworth

(Wonderland), Jaime King (Bulletproof Monk), Benicio Del Toro (Fear and

Loathing in Las Vegas), and Maria Bello (Coyote Ugly) have all been

approached by filmmaker Robert Rodriguez (Once Upon a Time in Mexico)

about potential roles in Dimension Films' in-development Sin City motion

picture, with some of them having reportedly already signed on. The movie

is an adaptation of Frank Miller's Dark Horse Comics-published comics

series, and will feature Miller as a co-director."

And then today, I get this in my email from Diamond:

"As reported by Variety, filmmaker Robert Rodriguez (Once Upon a Time in Mexico) has resigned from the Directors Guild of America (DGA) in order to ensure that he and comics creator Frank Miller will be able to co-direct Dimension Films' big screen adaptation of Miller's Dark Horse Comics-published Sin City series without facing repercussions or credit demands from the DGA. Furthermore, the article revealed that Quentin Tarantino (Kill Bill) will direct a portion of the film, as well."

I had the great experience of meeting Robert Rodriguez early on in his directing career in Austin, and he truly fits the term "iconoclast" perfectly. Anyone who has seen his films knows he's about as far as you can get from an old-boy-network studio-puppet... But this still amazes me that he would resign from the DGA over this movie.

If Robert Rodriguez believes in the project that much, this could be one hell of a film. Especially since he is on a lot of actors' "I would kill to work for" list...

"As reported by Variety, filmmaker Robert Rodriguez (Once Upon a Time in Mexico) has resigned from the Directors Guild of America (DGA) in order to ensure that he and comics creator Frank Miller will be able to co-direct ... without facing repercussions or credit demands from the DGA. Furthermore, the article revealed that Quentin Tarantino (Kill Bill) will direct a portion of the film, as well."

confused.gif OK, House, splain this to me please?

Why does Rodriguez need to resign from DGA? Is Miller not in the union? And if such an arrangement would cause grief, how come Tarantino can also co-direct apparently without a problem?

"As reported by Variety, filmmaker Robert Rodriguez (Once Upon a Time in Mexico) has resigned from the Directors Guild of America (DGA) in order to ensure that he and comics creator Frank Miller will be able to co-direct ... without facing repercussions or credit demands from the DGA. Furthermore, the article revealed that Quentin Tarantino (Kill Bill) will direct a portion of the film, as well."

confused.gif OK, House, splain this to me please?

Why does Rodriguez need to resign from DGA? Is Miller not in the union? And if such an arrangement would cause grief, how come Tarantino can also co-direct apparently without a problem?

I'm not positive. Perhaps Joanna could shed some light, as I imagine the WGA and DGA have many of the same rules...

But the sense I got from it that since Tarantino is only directing a portion, there wouldn't be the normal concerns over credit assignment. I assume the DGA somehow took issue with Rodriguez wanting to give half the directing credit to Miller (who is not a DGA member) and they felt that doing so might jeapordize their bargaining arrangements with the various studios. That a DGA member freely giving credit away to a non-member would undermine their standing somehow...

I used to be President of a Local Painter's Union... but the Hollywood unions are run unlike anything else... confused-smiley-013.gif

Either way, I wish there were spec-worthy Sin City books... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

If Robert Rodriguez believes in the project that much, this could be one hell of a film. Especially since he is on a lot of actors' "I would kill to work for" list...

Sounds great, and with Miller also directly involved this movie will go on my 'ones to watch out for' list. Thanks for the heads up 'House. grin.gif

Sounds great, and with Miller also directly involved this movie will go on my 'ones to watch out for' list. Thanks for the heads up 'House. grin.gif

Yeah, this definitely won't be another Robocop 2...

Rodriguez and Tarantino are both pretty big comic fans, so this movie has some serious potential. And Rodriguez has a list as long as your arm of actors who will take a 90% cut in their normal pay to be in his films...

The finished product might only gross $40 million... but it might still be the best comic film made yet... Here's hoping things stay on course... 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Yeah, this definitely won't be another Robocop 2...

Rodriguez and Tarantino are both pretty big comic fans, so this movie has some serious potential. And Rodriguez has a list as long as your arm of actors who will take a 90% cut in their normal pay to be in his films...

The finished product might only gross $40 million... but it might still be the best comic film made yet... Here's hoping things stay on course... 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I loved Robocop 2! ...or was that "Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo"? 893scratchchin-thumb.gifconfused.gif