• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is the ''Copper Age'' The Redheaded stepchild of comics?

27 posts in this topic

And they are better reads too :gossip:

I agree with this. Copper age artist/writer teams have been the best at "Show not Tell" IMO. Cutting down substantially on the verbal exposition. So much text in previous ages (especially golden) is dedicated to describing what is happening in a given frame, which I personally find distracting from the actual story.

I agree with this. Copper age artist/writer teams have been the best at "Show not Tell" IMO. Cutting down substantially on the verbal exposition. So much text in previous ages (especially golden) is dedicated to describing what is happening in a given frame, which I personally find distracting from the actual story.

To me everything before the Bronze Age is better remembered than relived, and the Copper Age is when the ball really got rolling before the 90's ruined mainstream comics. Even though I have completely given up on most mainstream comics and all super hero comics, just from what I read online it seems they have yet to recover.

I wouldn't say the Copper Age is the red headed step child. More like the rebellious fourth born son. Moderns would be the Fredo of the group.

Comics 'grew up' during the Copper Age, even in some of the mainstream, and this is looked upon as sensationalized blasphemy in an art form ruled by people forever perpetually arrested in a world of 'what they remember reading at age 13'. They call it 'grim and gritty' in comics and realistic and contemporary in other art forms.

I've stated before that comics touched this nerve in the art world BEFORE the wave of new movie directors changed Hollywood (Tarantino, Rodriguez, etc) and BEFORE it happened in music (Nirvana, Pearl Jam etc). It's not a bad thing. It's a progression. It's Evolution, baby.

Some might argue that comics as we know them would have died out completely, if not for some of the creators and publishers of the Copper Age who helped produce some of the best work ever done in the format. Unfortunately, the big two and Image took that momentum and tried to cash in on it with disastrous results, and the Copper Age gets some of the unfair blame for that by purists who see anything after 1980 as Modern.

And it doesn't help that Rob Liefeld was involved with 2 of the top selling comics of the period.

The reason Copper Age gets the least amount of attention is because there's not a "90's/00's" section. If there was, it'd be a ghost town. Because of the nature of the CGC board and the nature of most Copper Age books, there's not going to be as much interaction as there would be on a general comics board.

But that doesn't mean the age gets no respect. It's, quite frankly, the Golden Age of the artform as an artform, the first time that it really lived up to the massive potential that had remained fairly untapped for decades. Comics grew up during the era, and produced masterpieces in almost every genre, works that are still acknowledged as the greatest ever made in the artform.

Hardly something to sneeze at...

You never read Byrne's FF did you?

To me everything before the Bronze Age is better remembered than relived, and the Copper Age is when the ball really got rolling before the 90's ruined mainstream comics.

I wouldn't go that far. Although, Copper is my personal golden age, there's some killer stuff in the SA.

Better for us. We can buy up all our comics without paying SA prices :acclaim:

Agreed but just about anything done from this era by Marvel and DC has been put out in cheap trade paperback reprints, so it`s not as challenging to collect/read unless its certain indies which is a different story. 2c

The answer might be in another thread, but I'm wondering, is there a single comic or comic series that you guys consider as the beginning of the Copper Age? :gossip:

While this is a hot button issue for some, and different people will give you different answers...probably the most widely accepted answer to this question is TMNT #1.

Again, your mileage may vary.