• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Another one I was targeting.................

10 posts in this topic

I sometimes think that people get the impression that DC's are inferior because we don't highlight them enough. Here is another that I was targeting but at over $600- I just can't see myself pulling the trigger..

Bat #208

This thread is not to deteriorate into a discussion on cleaning and pressing. 893naughty-thumb.gif

Is it just me, or do more High Grade DC's seem to be hitting the market lately? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

The supply of mid- to late-60s DCs (basically, from the go-go checkerboard books on) has always been relatively plentiful in high grade. Are you seeing more early silver DC too?

It's beautiful,...but you're right...I'd rather have 3 or 4 nice 9.4's than blow 600-700 on one 9.6...

I agree, especially since that books been cleaned and pressed.

JUST KIDDING!!!!

Actually, as a high-grade collector for 25 years, I still have not seen the fasicnation with paying huge multiples for 9.6 books. I mean a 9.4 book (especially one over 30 years old) is still a beautiful book. Is the fact that a corner is not quite so rounded really worth 2 to 3 times more than the same book with just a touch more rounding at one corner. Not to me.

Actually, as a high-grade collector for 25 years, I still have not seen the fasicnation with paying huge multiples for 9.6 books. I mean a 9.4 book (especially one over 30 years old) is still a beautiful book. Is the fact that a corner is not quite so rounded really worth 2 to 3 times more than the same book with just a touch more rounding at one corner. Not to me.

"9.6 is where the madness begins..." Definitely agree with you that it's not rational, but...

Is the fact that a corner is not quite so rounded really worth 2 to 3 times more than the same book with just a touch more rounding at one corner. Not to me.

Its all about having the best, and not really what the book looks like. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Is the fact that a corner is not quite so rounded really worth 2 to 3 times more than the same book with just a touch more rounding at one corner. Not to me.

Its all about having the best, and not really what the book looks like.

But in most cases, 9.6's ARE NOT THE BEST. Let alone, even if they are TODAY they might not be TOMORROW.

Yes, if you buy a 10.0 with White Pages, you are probably buy the best (or at least equal to the best).

Its all about having the best, and not really what the book looks like.

But in most cases, 9.6's ARE NOT THE BEST. Let alone, even if they are TODAY they might not be TOMORROW.

Yes, if you buy a 10.0 with White Pages, you are probably buy the best (or at least equal to the best).

I agree that this is not a game for newbies to play, because they'll get suckered in by the ASM 33s of the world. There is no substitute here for experience in knowing what genuinely is rare in NM. For many pre-1965 Marvels and DCs, it's unlikely that any book will be better than 9.6, so most ultra-high end collectors would be more than happy to try to snap up a 9.6 when one appears, and hope they'll be able to upgrade in the unlikely event that a 9.8 (or higher, if that ever happens) copy appears.

Among the major Marvel keys, I think the only issues that have appeared in 9.8 thus far are ASM 1 and X-Men 1, both Curator copies (and of course there is that 9.9 TOS, also Curator, but it's not a major key, just highly desirable!).

Could another unbelievable collection surface and more 9.8 copies appear? Sure. But the odds are against it. Curator is the only silver pedigree that has achieved this grade for the major keys, and look at the incredibly unique circumstances in which the Curator original owner maintained his/her collection. It's hard to believe someone else back in 1962/1963 was doing the same thing.