• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Classics Inc offers on-site pressing in conjunction w/CGC on-site grading

414 posts in this topic

Can't this 'pressing' buisness, which I don't like (but I don't know much compared to most here) be performed by taking the book in question placing in a long box with 10-20 comics bagged and boarded in the bottom. Then take about.. 50-100 comics also bagged and boarded and place them on top of the comic in question. Put the lid on the longbox (so things dont slip out if your girlfriend is doing yoga in your comic room) and come back in a week to a month. This could not be considered restoration, every collector has the supplies and the procedure is something that occurs in the normal collecting process.

At this rate, I plan on being in a couple of years one of the two or three remaining sellers of CGC-graded comics that haven't been pressed. :devil:

Press away, gentlemen!

you don't press books????? what about that time in Baltimore?

Make reading comprehension your friend, Dale.

The last sale in 2009 was $2100. The book still brought $1300 in 2010 in 9.8. Pretty good for a common Bronze book.

Pretty good, indeed! Especially one that has dozens of 9.6s and 9.8s in the census

It currently has 14 9.8s out of 681 books submitted, so it's still a fairly difficult book in grade. There are 80 9.6s and 148 9.4s. Being the first Alpha Flight also makes it a semi-key.

I don't know about that......thousands of dollars for a book with a population count of 14 sounds like an awfully high number to me. Espercially when you are talking about a common BA book that was originally sold in huge numbers. hm

And to top it off, it's still so early in the grading game and even earlier in the pressing game. Within a few more years, the population count for 9.8's will be nowhere close to only 14 in my personal opinion. :tonofbricks:

Can't this 'pressing' buisness, which I don't like (but I don't know much compared to most here) be performed by taking the book in question placing in a long box with 10-20 comics bagged and boarded in the bottom. Then take about.. 50-100 comics also bagged and boarded and place them on top of the comic in question. Put the lid on the longbox (so things dont slip out if your girlfriend is doing yoga in your comic room) and come back in a week to a month. This could not be considered restoration, every collector has the supplies and the procedure is something that occurs in the normal collecting process.

No

The last sale in 2009 was $2100. The book still brought $1300 in 2010 in 9.8. Pretty good for a common Bronze book.

Pretty good, indeed! Especially one that has dozens of 9.6s and 9.8s in the census

It currently has 14 9.8s out of 681 books submitted, so it's still a fairly difficult book in grade. There are 80 9.6s and 148 9.4s. Being the first Alpha Flight also makes it a semi-key.

I don't know about that......thousands of dollars for a book with a population count of 14 sounds like an awfully high number to me. Espercially when you are talking about a common BA book that was originally sold in huge numbers. hm

And to top it off, it's still so early in the grading game and even earlier in the pressing game. Within a few more years, the population count for 9.8's will be nowhere close to only 14 in my personal opinion. :tonofbricks:

Supply and demand. When no one else wants a 9.8 X-Men 120 the price will drop like a stone. It's already heading that way. 120 and 132 used to be two of the most difficult issues in 9.8. The 132 is now peanuts and the 120 will eventually follow.

I could do that and get better results than you. :baiting:

Supply and demand. When no one else wants a 9.8 X-Men 120 the price will drop like a stone. It's already heading that way. 120 and 132 used to be two of the most difficult issues in 9.8. The 132 is now peanuts and the 120 will eventually follow.

The new X-Men film will add significant value to all your mutant books Doc so don't worry.

Man, that candy kitchen sounds like a blast!

highest per block incidence of pancake houses in the history of the world in gatlinburg. it's kinda unbelievable. and most have really cute russian exchange students working as waitresses. i gained 32 lbs. on my last little vacation week there.

True story and I'm pretty close with both Matt and Joey...

A good friend of mine purchased an Uncanny X-Men 120 9.6 he bought from SOT. He showed the book to Matt and Matt told him that it could not be pressed to a higher grade and he bought if for between $200-$300. One day whil;e moving the books around he accidentally dropped it and cracked the slab. Since he had to reslab it anyways, he figured he would ask Joey to press it for him. It came back a 9.8 and I sold it in excess of $2000.

Moral of the story, nobody is perfect and they are both the ABSOLUTE best in the game. Nuff said :sumo:

"Jazzy" Jim

Isn't the moral of that story that one person could do something that another claimed couldn't be done?

This and the Spidey #121 is an issue with proscreen and not the ability to press. I try to be slightly on the conservative side when telling people I think a book will upgrade (rather than will I be able to upgrade it). For every example like this there are dozens of examples of people going against my advice and not getting a higher grade after pressing. So I'm very comfortable with my ability to spot good candidates.

To me the proscreen is almost as important as the pressing, especially when I'm handed a pile of high value CGC graded comics where significant fees are involved. Proscreen would also play an important role in determining who does the best job pressing. Since no two books are alike, You can't compare one book pressed by one guy against another pressed by the other guy. But if you have both of their grade guesses on both books, then you can see if they achieve their expected grades. This would be especially telling if one gave a higher grade than the other, and got it. Do this with a sizeable sampling of books and you can draw solid conclusions.

I've been a lightenting rod for controversy on these boards for years. It's no surprise to see the usual suspects pop up and slam me. The reasons they list not to use me (which are not true by the way) ironically have nothing to do with pressing results. And it all comes down to results. Who's going to do the best job to get you the highest grades?

I've been doing it the longest, work on the biggest books, have a stellar record, and the best process. I am the gold standard. Sorry if I sound egotistical, but this is my career we're talking about. This is what I've lived and breathed for the past decade. In the hostile climate of this thread, I feel the need to toot the ole' horn.

Yeah, I think most people here will know that you're good at pressing books.

It's a shame that CGC won't note them as restored.

I could do that and get better results than you. :baiting:

Likely...

I've been doing it the longest, work on the biggest books, have a stellar record, and the best process. I am the gold standard. Sorry if I sound egotistical, but this is my career we're talking about. This is what I've lived and breathed for the past decade. In the hostile climate of this thread, I feel the need to toot the ole' horn.

So what possessed you to shill your own auctions, not once, but twice? meh

Yeah, I think most people here will know that you're good at pressing books.

It's a shame that CGC won't note them as restored.

without doing private eye work to see if the book has been thru their outfit before, can they tell if it's been pressed? and i hardly expect when i send in a book for grading, that in addtion to grading the book, they need to check out it's background like a senate confimation.

So what possessed you to shill your own auctions, not once, but twice? meh

in all the possession movies i've seen, the host never really can identify the entity that possesses [damn, that's alot of esses---did i spell it right? and here g.a.tor is off to mission right when i need him] them. are the movies different in that regard across the pond?

I've been a lightenting rod for controversy on these boards for years. It's no surprise to see the usual suspects pop up and slam me. The reasons they list not to use me (which are not true by the way) ironically have nothing to do with pressing results. And it all comes down to results. Who's going to do the best job to get you the highest grades?

Shilling your auctions will bring the controversy. (shrug)