• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Classics Inc offers on-site pressing in conjunction w/CGC on-site grading

414 posts in this topic

By the way, Stephen and I have been back to work on the pedigree book for about 4 months now. We'll be releasing the new pedigree website soon too.

Awesome news, Matt. If you have trouble finding someone to publish, have you thought of using Lulu or some other online printing service? You can set your price and print on demand. I (and many others) am really looking forward to reading what you guys put together. Thanks for the update. (thumbs u

Matt is so big time that he even has a stalker!

You're big time; do you have a stalker too?

:hi:
doh! Not you again.

Not really a first. CFP Comics will be doing it at the Philly show.

Faster.

Cheaper.

Just as good.

& better looking, too.

Are you sure about this? Cheaper maybe. No knock on Joey, but I've been doing this way longer than anybody. We'll also be able to press any type of book brought to us, regardless of the grade. This is going to be a full operation in Chicago. My entire crew and equipment will be there. We've been planning this for quite a while.

I would have to agree with Matt on this for Golden Age books. He does have the longer track record. Now Silver, Bronze and Copper we would go into extra rounds over. Once you press 10,000 or more books you tend to know what you are doing.

It doesn't stop at 10,000 books, or even 100,000. I'm still adapting new techniques every year...it's not something that you learn, and then you're done. Every year is improvement over the last. Six years ago? Forget it, that's archaic.

So everything pressed now will be considered archaic six years in the future? hm

interesting, kinda like I shouldn`t buy an Ipad now because in the next four months a cheaper better version will be available.

I am interested in getting a few books pressed, I am asking the question as why get the books pressed now when in 6 years he can do it better?

What if I got books pressed by him 6 years ago, by his statement he is saying whatever he did 6 years ago is archaic compared to what he can do now.

So to me his statement means if I get something pressed by him now then it will be considered archaic in a few years.

Things get smashed. It isn't rocket science. The basic process, by it's nature, can't change all that significantly. However, I am sure there are subtle nuances when dealing with specific defects. It's the same with any trial and error process. You make mistakes, you adjust and you advance.

Thanks for clarifying it. :)

The learning curve narrows as one progresses, so advancements made in the future will be small compared to what's been made the past several years. So no, six years from now you probably won't see much of a difference in my pressing. But it's all in the subtle nuances that Jim talks about, especially when dealing with the higher grade books that are looked at very closely by CGC. Things that make a difference between 9.4 and 9.6 or 9.6 and 9.8.

I was looking for a reference for the pedigree book and a date (since I have been waiting to read it) ...the earliest reference I saw without searching too hard, was Feb 2009 although I thought I remembered it from earlier....

I DID however, find this post and this VERY long thread...kind of deja vu all over again;)

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=50906&Number=936380#Post936380

I don't think I read it before, maybe when I have a few dozen hours;).

Faster.

Cheaper.

Just as good.

& better looking, too.

Are you sure about this? Cheaper maybe. No knock on Joey, but I've been doing this way longer than anybody. We'll also be able to press any type of book brought to us, regardless of the grade. This is going to be a full operation in Chicago. My entire crew and equipment will be there. We've been planning this for quite a while.

I would have to agree with Matt on this for Golden Age books. He does have the longer track record. Now Silver, Bronze and Copper we would go into extra rounds over. Once you press 10,000 or more books you tend to know what you are doing.

It doesn't stop at 10,000 books, or even 100,000. I'm still adapting new techniques every year...it's not something that you learn, and then you're done. Every year is improvement over the last. Six years ago? Forget it, that's archaic.

So what would you say the ballpark figure of books you've pressed is? Are you saying above that you've pressed over 100,000 books?

I think he was being metaphorical, shill.

Why's that? Joeypost said he's pressed 10,000 comics in his relatively short time in business. Matt has been doing it a lot longer than Joeypost (as he said). Doesn't it seem possible that Matt has pressed 10x more books than Joeypost, or does Joeypost just do a lot more business than Matt?

You're big time; do you have a stalker too?

:hi::devil:

I just received 6 books from CGC today that were pressed by Matt.

This is the first pressing of books that I have ever had done.

5 of the 6 books came back exactly as Matt predicted. The 6th book came back one grade better.

Matt and Marie have been extremely nice to me throughout the whole process. I guess I called Marie 25 times with questions and she was always very nice and professional even though I am a small time customer.

I am sure Joey and KOR are excellent also from everything I have read on these boards.

I am sticking with Matt because of my great experience with this first pressing submission, plus I live in DFW so I can just drop the books off in person.

Just my 2 cents.

Faster.

Cheaper.

Just as good.

& better looking, too.

So what would you say the ballpark figure of books you've pressed is? Are you saying above that you've pressed over 100,000 books?

Why's that? Joeypost said he's pressed 10,000 comics in his relatively short time in business. Matt has been doing it a lot longer than Joeypost (as he said). Doesn't it seem possible that Matt has pressed 10x more books than Joeypost, or does Joeypost just do a lot more business than Matt?

??? If asking him to confirm his statement is stalking, your moral compass is wound too tight around your arse, man.

Faster.

Cheaper.

Just as good.

& better looking, too.

Matt is so big time that he even has a stulker!

Fixed that for you!

I dont care what the price difference is. Ethically you are head and shoulders above Nelson. I am sure Spectre52 auctions are still being shilled. (thumbs u

They are using the 'ritters' account to sell on eBay now. They stopped using spectre52 almost a year ago. ( hm wonder why...? lol )

this should finally shove the arizona shootings off the front page.

I just received 6 books from CGC today that were pressed by Matt.

This is the first pressing of books that I have ever had done.

5 of the 6 books came back exactly as Matt predicted. The 6th book came back one grade better.

Matt and Marie have been extremely nice to me throughout the whole process. I guess I called Marie 25 times with questions and she was always very nice and professional even though I am a small time customer.

I am sure Joey and KOR are excellent also from everything I have read on these boards.

I am sticking with Matt because of my great experience with this first pressing submission, plus I live in DFW so I can just drop the books off in person.

Just my 2 cents.

Matt has pressed several books for me, and I have had the same experience. He was also very helpful to me at Baltimore Comic Con and New York Comic Con last year.

I, too, am small potatoes compared to many of the rest of you folks. But Matt has always treated me like a high roller.

When I have a comic that needs pressing, I'm going to Matt.