• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Losing by one bid increment!

6 posts in this topic

I know, I can secure a win by bidding more. I bid on a few CGC books tonight, and lost by 1 bid increment on both. I don't mind losing if I bid $100 and it goes for $325. That way, I don't feel so bad. But it's frustrating to lose by $1 or even 50¢, because then I think, so close!

While it is frustrating to lose by 50 cents.

As he said, above, the other bidder might have put in a final bid , double the amount of your high bid.

But on Ebay a winning bidder only goes just past your current high bid , until you place another bid.

So if you bet a max bid of $13.75 on a comic.

And another bidder bets $45, then the winning bid will only show up as $14.50.

Even though the winning bidder was willing to go up to $45 on the comic you bid $13.75 on.

So while it may look like you are getting outbid by small potatoes, the only way to make sure you get an auction is to bid the max amount you are willing to spend on the item.

And if another bidder goes past you, then you can feel safe that at least you made them work for it, and made them pay top dollar.

And as a rule of thumb.. most people dont bid until the last minute of an auction.

And even more the last 15 seconds.

So my advice

Watch the item you want, dont bid on it. till the end,( unless it has a B.I.N. on it, and you dont want another bidder to use that feature.)

As this will only drive up the final price ..

And if you refresh your browser the last minute of auction and see bids start appearing, then wait till about 15 secs..

and place your max bid amount..

if you get outbid, then most likely the other person really overpaid for the comic.

But if you win, then sometimes it isnt anywhere near the max bid amount you placed.

Hope this info helps

Zeman

When I use to actually use ebay if there was something I really wanted it wasn't uncommon for me to win something $100 to $200 under my max bid. It may have looked to the person who was the under bidder they only lost by $1.00 when in fact they would have had to shell out a lot more than a few dollars to get the book.

I know, I can secure a win by bidding more. I bid on a few CGC books tonight, and lost by 1 bid increment on both. I don't mind losing if I bid $100 and it goes for $325. That way, I don't feel so bad. But it's frustrating to lose by $1 or even 50¢, because then I think, so close!

Been there, done that!!!

When I use to actually use ebay if there was something I really wanted it wasn't uncommon for me to win something $100 to $200 under my max bid. It may have looked to the person who was the under bidder they only lost by $1.00 when in fact they would have had to shell out a lot more than a few dollars to get the book.

Yes, but it's back fired on me on that strategy too. Bottom line is: don't bid what you won't pay.... 893crossfingers-thumb.gif