• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: In Need of Legal Advice: First Ammendment

35 posts in this topic

BTW, I'm not planning on doing "nothing" although I listed it as an available option We are getting as many of the "John Does" together for representation. We are looking for both a quash and a dismissal...

I would like to find a pro-bono lawyer on this...initiated communication with the website above to see what can happen although currently pursuing it as a group with a law firm that will charge.

The adventure continues...

And I have been trying to get adopted by Warren Buffet for over a decade, it's not working for me either.

In most instances " you get what you pay for ", so if you can find a lawyer to take this on a contingency it will feel just like pro-bono to you anyway.

Regardless now's not the time to be penny wise/dollar foolish.

As Brian Ketterer's board attorney I am stating that he not answer this.

He has already given you the free part via his post.

Your next question constitutes "free advice" and Brian does not give out "Free advice".

Pony up some $$$$ and you can ask all the questions you want.

Your next question constitutes "free advice" and Brian does not give out "Free advice".

Hey if the lawyers want to make money here, I'm all for it. I spent all of mine on comics.

Hey if the lawyers want to make money here, I'm all for it. I spent all of mine on comics.

Nothing left for stocks?

I quickly scanned this thread, but the question that jumps out at me is whether you have any connection to the company or companies whose stock(s) you were discussing. Point being: is there any possibility of material non-public information in your possession at the time of the postings?

Good luck; I also think moving to quash is your best option at this point.

My first thought is that if you need legal advice, perhaps the CGC boards is not the best place to go. Nothing against the lawyers here, but this is kind of like asking someone to grade your comic based on your typed description.

Dale, Thanks for your concern. This is a shot over the bow and my next steps aren't dependent on any information here. Consider it supplemental. Actually I've received some good general information thus far.

BTW, I'm not planning on doing "nothing" although I listed it as an available option We are getting as many of the "John Does" together for representation. We are looking for both a quash and a dismissal...

I would like to find a pro-bono lawyer on this...initiated communication with the website above to see what can happen although currently pursuing it as a group with a law firm that will charge.

The adventure continues...

And I have been trying to get adopted by Warren Buffet for over a decade, it's not working for me either.

In most instances " you get what you pay for ", so if you can find a lawyer to take this on a contingency it will feel just like pro-bono to you anyway.

Regardless now's not the time to be penny wise/dollar foolish.

(thumbs u

Sterling, you need to understand that most law firms/lawyers have a long queue of worthwhile pro bono projects waiting on them. A bunch of middle class guys who hang around on stock message boards is not going to be real high on their priority list.

Unless you can get the ACLU interested in your case, spend the money to get this matter wrapped up as quickly and effectively as possible. If it works out the way some of these other SLAPP cases worked out, you won`t have to pay much (if anything) because the other side will be ordered to pay costs.

My first thought is that if you need legal advice, perhaps the CGC boards is not the best place to go. Nothing against the lawyers here, but this is kind of like asking someone to grade your comic based on your typed description.

Dale, Thanks for your concern. This is a shot over the bow and my next steps aren't dependent on any information here. Consider it supplemental. Actually I've received some good general information thus far.

Thats good. Good luck with all of this. Sounds like kind of a raw deal....

I'm sure Bob would part with his legal wisdom on behalf of Brian in trade for some of your books.

In the meantime, best wishes to you and don't let the bast_ards scare you - take that fight right to them ASAP. :sumo:

Saw this posted on the Wiki page you linked to in the OP. Might have some signifigance for you

Barry King and another Internet poster, as defendants, won an anti-SLAPP motion against corporate plaintiffs based on critical posts on an Internet financial message board. Global Telemedia v. Does

http://www.casp.net/cases/Global%20Telemedia%20International%20v.%20Doe%201.html

As a licensed stock trading professional - what you are doing (if you are simply calling out an error) is not wrong at all. From the sounds of it it's a small(ish) company and typically you cannot enter into a short sale with these types of companies because brokerage firms are unwilling to lend the shares for a short sale. To enter into a short sale the brokerage firm has to be able to borrow shares from a margin-able company. If the firm doesn't allow trading of the said stock on margin, then 99/100 times you won't be able to short the stock. The only other way to short it is to go to a specialized website (I can't remember the name offhand) where you can borrow stocks for shorting from other institutions. This costs extra money to use though, and most non-professional traders do not have access to it.

If it's a larger company - doesn't matter, I still don't think they have a case to stand on. Check the yahoo finance boards. They are horrible for pumping. Check seekingalpha.com People give their opinions on stocks and companies irregardless if it's good or bad. Some of those people are professionals, and have to disclose that they own said stock or do not own said stock. The only other way you could get busted is for insider trading - if you sold off or entered into a short position with the shares before knowledge of what the company was doing was made public.

FYI - I'm not a lawyer - I just have my Series 7 & 63 trading licenses, worked for a brokerage firm and as a trader and am getting my MAcc right now. I'm just sharing my opinion :)

these lawsuits tend to have nothing to do with trying to establish liability, but rather, harassing and shutting people up. hence there are the SLAPP statutes. obviously it is going to depend on what is said though, disclosures given, etc. i suspect a letter to the company counsel from someone with an "esq." at the end of the name reminding them of the SLAPP statute/atty fees (maybe citing the case listed above -- if your jurisdiction has a SLAPP) requesting that your handle be removed from the subpoena and noting nothing said was actionable, etc. would probably get them to back down. it's amazing, everyone complains about how there are sooooooo many lawyers (and, indeed, there are way too many), but when you need someone to write a nasty letter for you and not charge more than a frosty cold one the next time you hook up, it's not always so easy to find one because legal employers usually don't like this stuff, so you need someone with their own shingle (usually).

i've been pondering going out on my own, but with no savings and a $4500 monthly nut of various expenses, a paycheck every 2 weeks from my present employer with 4 1/2 weeks of vacation/sick days, paid holidays, free dental and cheap health insurance seems pretty good right now even if it's half of what I was making 7 years ago.