• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ultimates Cancelled!

14 posts in this topic

Ggggrrrrrrr! frown.gif

From Comicon

http://www.comicon.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=36&t=002005

NEWS: MARVEL'S ULTIMATES CANCELLED

BY JENNIFER M. CONTINO

Marvel Comics has confirmed for THE PULSE that Ultimates has been cancelled. The last issue will be # 13. The series will "eventually" begin again, but it isn't known when at this point in time. The Ultimates was gearing up for a second volume by Mark Millar and Bryan Hitch. At Wizard World LA, Joe Quesada commented Marvel was "trying to get the Ultimates on a monthly schedule." It is unknown if this cancellation is towards that end.

PRESS RELEASE

CREATING THE ULTIMATE(S) EXPERIENCE

Marvel & the creators behind the best-selling Ultimates series have refocused and retooled the first issue of ULTIMATES VOLUME 2,#1 to make it

bigger, badder, bolder and, most importantly, regular! To accomplish these goals, the brash series has been removed from the schedule, with all original orders cancelled. The blockbuster title will be resolicited at a later date, when it can be guaranteed to ship monthly.

"Marvel did exactly what we wanted them to. Like everyone else, I've been frustrated by the long delays between issues and so I asked them to

stockpile six issues to guarantee this book went out monthly again," said Mark Millar. " Volume two is very much a sequel and so this seems like the logical place to have the gap. I'd rather see delays between volumes than issues and it's great Marvel getting behind us like this."

Offered artist Bryan Hitch, " With Marvel's continued and unprecedented support, they are allowing us to step back and stockpile a whole arc before release which is just fantastic. That's not to say we are resting on our laurels here, we have realistic, workable schedules and are 100% committed to giving the fans the best we can, every single month!"

Marvel staff has been supportive of the creators and their unprecedented stance. As Publisher Dan Buckley said, "Look, this title is a home run

whenever it comes out. But it's got to come out for six months in a row - a complete story, shipping on time. By working together, we now feel comfortable saying we're giving the fans the best possible reading experience."

Marvel Editor in Chief, Joe Quesada, offered, "Timing aside, just wait 'til

you see what these guys have cooking. The book will look amazing if this comes off as planned, and you can absolutely believe we're going to want to get this into the hands of the fans as soon as possible, because I want the book myself!"

Ultimates-obsessed fans may find solace in the following Ultimates Collected Editions:

ULTIMATES VOLUME 1: SUPER-HUMAN

ULTIMATES VOLUME 2: HOMELAND SECURITY

ULTIMATES VOLUME 1 HARDCOVER

More information on scheduling for this industry-leader will be available over the coming weeks.

" With Marvel's continued and unprecedented support, they are allowing us to step back and stockpile a whole arc before release which is just fantastic. That's not to say we are resting on our laurels here, we have realistic, workable schedules and are 100% committed to giving the fans the best we can, every single month!"

So what they are basically saying is they can only stay on a monthly schedule if they prepare for six months? a year? five years? WTF? 893whatthe.gif893frustrated.gif

How come Brian Michael Bendis's books are always on time? And he does like, lots of em. Ultimate Spidey, Ultimate X-Men, Ultimate FF, Daredevil, the Pulse, Powers. Yet his are always on time.... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

How many books do Millar and Hitch do every month?

sign-rantpost.gif

I would guess the sole problem w/ Ultimates is w/ Hitch. Millar does many books a month (his 4 "Millar-world" books, UFF, etc.) and never seems to be behind.

Hitch, on the other hand, only does Ultimates (that I'm aware of), and the title was always delayed.

Marvel finally made the right move by announcing the cancellation of Volume 2. I'd rather they get far ahead instead of making us wait this long. Ultimates was a great book that was ruined by it's failure to follow any type of schedule.

I would guess the sole problem w/ Ultimates is w/ Hitch.

It seems if you want highly detailed art you have to wait for it. Maybe Marvel should have stopped kidding everyone from the get-go and put Ultimates on a quarterly schedule like Secret War. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Hitch, on the other hand, only does Ultimates (that I'm aware of), and the title was always delayed.

The word is that Hitch has become over-reliant on using photographic references in his drawing and this has caused his workrate to slow to a crawl. I like his work, but frankly, it's not so good that he couldn't be replaced by someone who can put out a monthly on time. mad.gif

Gene