• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Vintage Comic Copryright Laws...expiration date?

4 posts in this topic

I just received a book reprinting many pre-code horror stories and covers manufactured here in good ol' NC-about 20 miles up the road actually! I am sure you have seen other distributors do the same-i.e., the reprinting of jungle books, e.c.'s, etc.. Does this mean the original copyright has run out and these books are free game for anyone to reprint and sell? Can someone provide the specifics regarding whats infringement or not?? Also, (a crazy idea, I know) could I take many of these stories and alter the artwork and dialogue and publish it for ready consumption by the masses? This could sound like a CGC BOARD CUMULATIVE EFFORT PROJECT .

Any answers would be greatly appreciated since im dying to do something creative, besides carving out guitar bodies ,re editing vintage Three Stooge episodes and playing rugby with naked hookers.

I think it depends on if some of these publishers renewed their copyright (if you are speaking Golden Age) . For instance, I don't think you can do anything with Atlas, DC etc. I'm not sure about EC.

I just received a book reprinting many pre-code horror stories and covers manufactured here in good ol' NC-about 20 miles up the road actually! I am sure you have seen other distributors do the same-i.e., the reprinting of jungle books, e.c.'s, etc.. Does this mean the original copyright has run out and these books are free game for anyone to reprint and sell? Can someone provide the specifics regarding whats infringement or not?? Also, (a crazy idea, I know) could I take many of these stories and alter the artwork and dialogue and publish it for ready consumption by the masses? This could sound like a CGC BOARD CUMULATIVE EFFORT PROJECT .

Any answers would be greatly appreciated since im dying to do something creative, besides carving out guitar bodies ,re editing vintage Three Stooge episodes and playing rugby with naked hookers.

Why not do something original, that would be creative?