• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Double Cover's Appreciation!!!

103 posts in this topic

So how does it feel to be an old man like me?

It's all downhill from here...I even get an urge to start collecting Golden Age tongue.gif must be my dementia kicking in 27_laughing.giftongue.gif

but seriously, if there is a notation, you would like seen on your slab label, it wouldn't hurt to list it on the submission form under notes/pedigree field...

I'll bet if the guide were accurate on Archie's first 3 appearances then books sent in to get graded would reflect it.

I saw yours and Timely's posts back and forth about this earlier and not being knowledgeable in Golden Age, other than seeing the occassional posts from you guys, I wouldn't know who was the more expert between you two on Archie knowledge. Obviously even Overstreet can't help on an objective correct answer, as seen in your convincing credible posts with the cover dates and the books to support your counterpoint.

This above just further supports my point as to why CGC may want to avoid labelling notations on "controversial" or "undetermined" comic facts.

I saw yours and Timely's posts back and forth about this earlier and not being knowledgeable in Golden Age, other than seeing the occassional posts from you guys, I wouldn't know who was the more expert between you two on Archie knowledge.

C'mon man...all Timely did was look up the values of Pep 22,23 and Jackpot 4 in the guide. That makes his knowledge of Archie similar to mine? So if I buy a single price variant book on EBAY I'll know as much as you do? I love Timely and I'm very jealous about the books he owns, but for historical references about War events and/or non-Timely books, I sometimes wonder about comments he makes. Specifically, about World War II tanks and submarines. shy.gif

I saw yours and Timely's posts back and forth about this earlier and not being knowledgeable in Golden Age, other than seeing the occassional posts from you guys, I wouldn't know who was the more expert between you two on Archie knowledge.

C'mon man...all Timely did was look up the values of Pep 22,23 and Jackpot 4 in the guide. That makes his knowledge of Archie similar to mine? So if I buy a single price variant book on EBAY I'll know as much as you do? I love Timely and I'm very jealous about the books he owns, but for historical references about War events and/or non-Timely books, I sometimes wonder about comments he makes. Specifically, about World War II tanks and submarines. shy.gif

No offense intended sorry.gif ...other than knowing you two live in the Golden Age forum, I honestly didn't know who knew more about Archies...I know LucyBop has a slew of them...is she as knowledgeable? didn't mean to stir anything up here, but if you are a newbie reader/lurker on these forums without your own basis of Archie knowledge , then you could see how it would be hard to determine who would be closer to the truth?

If you had hunted down every single price variant, then you'd definitely know WAY more than me because you'd have to learn about them as you are acquiring them.

I just have to "razz" you on your birthday. If there was a publisher I would ever be so bold to call myself an expert on, it would be MLJ/Archie from 1939-1946.

What are you planning for your birthday, anything special? Turning 30 sucks!

What are you planning for your birthday, anything special? Turning 30 sucks!

yes it does... small quiet dinner at home with family and friends... maybe a get together with some local forumites at the next Tysons corner show...

blush.gif I'd never even seen a triple cover until this thread!!! 893whatthe.gif

Guys- How about a Golden Age comic with 5 covers!

REAL CLUE CRIME STORIES ------------------------------------------------

ISSUE GRADE PRICE

v2 8 NM 9.4 call 800-229-6387 for price

(CGC graded, quintuple cover)

I'll bow to Shield's knowledge on Archie, he's got me beat, no doubt. I was just going by Overstreet. And I love you too Shield flowerred.gif but this list does not make sense.

Real release dates (day you could by them on the stands)

Pep 22 - Oct 1941 (Ads for Shield-Wizard 5 in the interior)

Pep 23 - Nov 1941 (Ads for Shield-Wizard 5 in the interior)

Pep 24- December 1941 (Ads for Shield-Wizard 5 in the interior)

Jackpot 4 - Late December 1941/January 1942 (Ads for Shield-Wizard 6 on the interior)(Ads for March 1942's Zip Comics #24) (Both available here on the site as proof).

Pep 25 - January 1942 (Ads for Shield-Wizard 6 in the interior)

Pep 26 - February 1942

Pep 27 - March 1942

Jackpot 5 - Late March/Early April 1942

Pep 28 April 1942

Pep 29 May 1942"

Are you implying Jackpot #4 is Archie's 4th Appearance? Before you said it was his 3rd. If Jackpot #4 is his 3rd or 4th appearance I'd say it's WAY TOO high in the guide and should be a $1800 book max! 893whatthe.gif

Timely

I'll bow to Shield's knowledge on Archie, he's got me beat, no doubt. I was just going by Overstreet. And I love you too Shield flowerred.gif but this list does not make sense.

Real release dates (day you could by them on the stands)

Pep 22 - Oct 1941 (Ads for Shield-Wizard 5 in the interior)

Pep 23 - Nov 1941 (Ads for Shield-Wizard 5 in the interior)

Pep 24- December 1941 (Ads for Shield-Wizard 5 in the interior)

Jackpot 4 - Late December 1941/January 1942 (Ads for Shield-Wizard 6 on the interior)(Ads for March 1942's Zip Comics #24) (Both available here on the site as proof).

Pep 25 - January 1942 (Ads for Shield-Wizard 6 in the interior)

Pep 26 - February 1942

Pep 27 - March 1942

Jackpot 5 - Late March/Early April 1942

Pep 28 April 1942

Pep 29 May 1942"

Are you implying Jackpot #4 is Archie's 4th Appearance? Before you said it was his 3rd. If Jackpot #4 is his 3rd or 4th appearance I'd say it's WAY TOO high in the guide and should be a $1800 book max! 893whatthe.gif

Timely

It's either 3rd or 4th; I think Pep 24 and Jackpot 4 could've been bought the same day at the same soda shop.

If I went for those arrival dates as gospel, and applied it to the monthly books, then Pep 24 arrived December 17th, 1941, and Jackpot 4 arrived December 26, 1941. We'll never know for sure. I do know that 22 and 23 came before Jackpot 4. Honestly, I'll bet someone saw "Winter" on the cover of Jackpot 4, and assumed that meant it had a 2 month lead time just like the monthly books. It obvously didn't.

It's tough to track those quarterly books and compare them to the monthly cover dates, but I equate...

Winter to December

Spring to March

Summer to June

Fall to September

I am guessing a book with a quaterly date (such as Winter) could stay on the stands for 3-4 months before being pulled.

Timely

A general question - when was the last time anyone went into a comic store and found a double-cover off the shelf?

And another question - do any of you actually look for double covers on new books off the shelf?

I do, but it is pretty pointless...I have not found any off the rack yet.

I am fairly surprised that this thread has gone on for 95 posts without a conspiracy theory about printing companies slapping on extra covers on purpose for their own ends. 893applaud-thumb.gif

The last and only time I've ever pulled a double cover off the comic store shelf was when I bought Amazing Spider-Man Annual #18 double cover off the shelf in 1984. So 20 years ago.

A general question - when was the last time anyone went into a comic store and found a double-cover off the shelf?

And another question - do any of you actually look for double covers on new books off the shelf?

I do, but it is pretty pointless...I have not found any off the rack yet.

I am fairly surprised that this thread has gone on for 95 posts without a conspiracy theory about printing companies slapping on extra covers on purpose for their own ends. 893applaud-thumb.gif

How clueless was I when buying new books? I remember being in a "Super-X" Drug store around 1984, buying the latest issue of Archie's Giant Series. I was at the counter at had a "stupid double cover" book, so I put it back on the shelf and grabbed a normal one.

Although that would've made the book worth $1.25 instead of .50 now, it's the idea that I put it back because I thought it was strange to have 2 covers. 893frustrated.gif

How clueless was I when buying new books? I remember being in a "Super-X" Drug store around 1984, buying the latest issue of Archie's Giant Series. I was at the counter at had a "stupid double cover" book, so I put it back on the shelf and grabbed a normal one.

Although that would've made the book worth $1.25 instead of .50 now, it's the idea that I put it back because I thought it was strange to have 2 covers. 893frustrated.gif

I feel for ya! foreheadslap.gif

I sell books on eBay for a bunch of stores - one of them routinely sends me the double cover books that they get, I throw them up on eBay. They sell for a 2X - 3X premium over cover. Everybody's happy.

This is the first one I bought of the rack in 72, I have about 3 more coming back from CGC, and about 4 more at home waiting to go to CGC. I think Double Covers are unique and rare, not to mention pretty cool thumbsup2.gif

The last one I bought was courtesy of the good Doc B's auctions 893applaud-thumb.gif

dcover.jpg