• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Request #1 of 3 for Wednesday 1-26-11: PGM Captain Savage #7

10 posts in this topic

First, I want to thank the kind vets who lined me out on the "unofficial" forum policy or rule that a member should post no more than 3 comic book grading requests in a calendar day. Plus the rule wherein only 1 comic book per individual thread format is observed. :rulez:

I apologize for violating these rules yesterday, and I source my behavior to my ignorance of them. I am still evolving as a member here at this great forum. Please be assured I will do my very best to be polite at all times here. I do not want to alienate anyone here by wearing out my welcome.

With apologies out of the way, I present another one of my Silver Age comic books for the forum's inspection. Thanks in advance to everyone who provides any and all critical grading comments. I genuinely believe this should grade out to be at least a 9.0, but what do I know?!?! lol

CAPTAIN SAVAGE #7

Z-CGCCaptainSavage7Front.jpg

Z-CGCCaptainSavage7Back.jpg

Nice looking, solid book. Except for all four corners.

Thanks for the reply as well as PM you sent me.

Despite the crappy corners, do you think this book can at least get a 9.0 from CGC? ???

Has a chance at a 9.0 but an 8.5 might be more likely. It presents better - tough luck with the corners.

Wow! What the heck qualifies for a 9.0 or better? ???

I'll need to monitor the board to see the next one that does. I'm very interested to see what qualifies for a 9.0 or better around here.

The corners on my CS 7 really blasted the grade down that much? Bummerooski!

So far, the examples I've presented from my comic collection I've presented (about 6 comics so far) is pure feces. :makepoint:

Thanks for your critique. (worship)

I would say 9.0, but I am in the minority it seems

Also, a couple of thoughts based on the pattern of your posts that may be helpful. If you are looking to sell some comics off and certifying them to aid in the sales, books like this will cost more than you would return selling it raw. I would think this holds true even if it was a couple notches higher into the low/mid 9.x's

For the ones you are selling, offer a link to the grading thread, and try to move them here. This would give buyers piece of mind on grade. The benefit being you could price them a little lower, come out ahead based on the high costs of slabbing, and not have to wait for it to return from CGC. Further, no listing fees here so you save on eBay or auction site commissions as well :foryou:

As for ones to pick if you are set on slabbing, look for more issues that would be considered keys or semi-keys (since most of your books seem to fall in a similar grade range thus far). I.E. I would not slab a 9.0 Cap. America 116, but I would certainly consider it for a 117 :juggle: Since you are coming back after a long delay, grab an overstreet and look for issues that have broken out in price as a good identifier of issues to consider hm

Good Luck,

Heath

Has a chance at a 9.0 but an 8.5 might be more likely. It presents better - tough luck with the corners.

Wow! What the heck qualifies for a 9.0 or better? ???

I'll need to monitor the board to see the next one that does. I'm very interested to see what qualifies for a 9.0 or better around here.

The corners on my CS 7 really blasted the grade down that much? Bummerooski!

So far, the examples I've presented from my comic collection I've presented (about 6 comics so far) is pure feces. :makepoint:

Thanks for your critique. (worship)

I'm in the minority - but I think this book is an easy 9.0

Go have a look at the grading contest - go through all of the results and you'll get to see 17 different books before and after grading. You'll also see people complaining about the 'easy' grading they got - which I think is a symptom of many on these boards being over-picky.

Another good way to learn is to register at Heritage (which is free) and then go through their archives looking at high-res scans of raw and graded books.

HTH