• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tales To Astonish #62 the Leader, Captain America, the Chameleon

6 posts in this topic

Original art collectors frequently prefer original pages that show the hero in lots of violent action battling the bad guys. But if you do have a page with no action it is still interesting if it has some historical significance or unusual guest stars. Below is an historic page from the Hulk story in Tales To Astonish #62, 1964. It is one of my favorite non-action pages from my Tales To Astonish origial art pages for the reasons I've noted below.

hulk3.jpg Top left panel: First appearance in the Marvel Universe of one of the Hulk's main villains, the Leader. Also, the first appearance of one his plastic Humanoids. You had to wait until the next issue for the Leader to take his helmet off so you could see his face.

Top right panel: another early Marvel villain, the Chameleon wearing his usual mask with some of his other disguises on display.

Middle left panel: Captain America with old Hulk sidekick and now new Avengers sidekick Rick Jones. To my knowledge, this Captain America appearance was one of only two times where Cap was drawn by Steve Ditko in the 1960s. The other time was in The Amazing Spider-Man Annual #1 1964.

Middle right panel: Rick Jones on an airplane sitting next to the Chameleon in disguise.

Bottom Left and Middle panels: the rest of the Hulk's supporting cast: Major Glenn Talbot, General Thunderbolt Ross, Betty Ross.

Bottom right panel: the Hulk himself finally made it onto the page.

In a day or two I will post a TTA page that I think you will agree qualifies as an action page.

very neat. if I look at that art without having read your commentary, it would take me a second to even figure out which title it was from. Not too many pages from that date with that set of characters drawn by that artist.