• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Steve Rude

8 posts in this topic

Nice to see Steve get props as perhaps "today's best living comic book artist" on Comics Alliance:

http://www.comicsalliance.com/2011/01/27/steve-rudes-sketches-are-other-peoples-cover-art-and-can-be/

Check out the link for a load of awesome sketches/commissions. Nice change of pace from the horror stories we've been hearing lately.

First , let me say that I think Steve Rude is an amazing talent and I have owned several of his pages over the years, but does anyone out there feel that he is making a mistake in announcing that he is done with comics and is now concentrating on fine arts.

I really feel that his fine arts work is a distant second to his comics work and even if he does plan to continue to abandon the field that made him, he should not announce it as he did.

One of the things that I think a collector of young artists (and I still consider Rude young!) does not want to hear is that some artist they collect is not going to make art anymore.

As collectors we try to find new artists that are affordable and hope that they will continue to make a name for themselves and in doing so increase the value of the work.

I know it's tough for artists everywhere and they have to do what they have to do, but by announcing that he is leaving comics (several times) he is hurting the people who have faithfully collected his work.

Does anyone agree?

Steve is a fantastic artist. All the best to him and his future endeavors.

I'm sure the majority of people who collect art and have purchased from Steve over the years, did so because they like his art and not so concerned about the speculative financial aspect of it.

Gwen Stacy commission from Steve? hm

Cheers!

N.