• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

That Professor Miles Warren was a freakin' genuis

32 posts in this topic

for creating those clones of Gwen and Peter, at least 35 years before anyone else. I'm sure human clones are coming soon, but that ESU professor scooped them all.

Anyone else enjoy the original clone storyline. In 1975, I was nine years old and grabbing any comic my older brother put down. He had issues 145 and 148. I remember him buying two issues of 150 and I relieved him and started collecting full time at issue 153. I pieced the rest together via mail order.

At the time I was enthralled with the storyline, but as I am rereading it right now, I find I still enjoy it, but the plot holes are a lot larger.

I loved Peter's reaction to Gwen's return in issue 145 where he thought he was going crazy. And I also liked the origin of the Jackal, but the clone storyline didn't seem to jive with the Jackal's earlier attempts to kill Spider-Man in issue 129 and 130.

I hated that they screwed up the bridge that Gwen got killed on in issue 147.

Ok, there are some random thoughts. Let's hear some others.

And if possible, let's avoid the 90s clone saga.

(There probably is an old thread on this, but I am too lazy to search and I bet we have some new posters)

As a kid pulling these off the shelves in the 70's, this was mind-bowing stuff, second only to Starlin's Captain Marvel. I liked how it got weirder and weirder as the storyline continued, right up to Clone Gwen and the climatic unmasking of Professor Warren. Then to top it off, we get Clone Spidey duking it out with Real Spidey and one dies... but which one?

I also liked how the whole story was tied up in Spectacular Spider-man with Carrion. It worked well and didn't ruin the original in any way.

for creating those clones of Gwen and Peter, at least 35 years before anyone else. I'm sure human clones are coming soon, but that ESU professor scooped them all.

Anyone else enjoy the original clone storyline. In 1975, I was nine years old and grabbing any comic my older brother put down. He had issues 145 and 148. I remember him buying two issues of 150 and I relieved him and started collecting full time at issue 153. I pieced the rest together via mail order.

At the time I was enthralled with the storyline, but as I am rereading it right now, I find I still enjoy it, but the plot holes are a lot larger.

I loved Peter's reaction to Gwen's return in issue 145 where he thought he was going crazy. And I also liked the origin of the Jackal, but the clone storyline didn't seem to jive with the Jackal's earlier attempts to kill Spider-Man in issue 129 and 130.

I hated that they screwed up the bridge that Gwen got killed on in issue 147.

Ok, there are some random thoughts. Let's hear some others.

And if possible, let's avoid the 90s clone saga.

(There probably is an old thread on this, but I am too lazy to search and I bet we have some new posters)

No, I think this is worthy of revisiting.

As a kid, I enjoyed every issue leading up to the conclusion, but I remember feeling very let down by #149.

It just didn't ring true.

Gerry Conway/Ross Andru created a very specific world for Peter Parker during this run on the book. I liked the run, up to that issue.

It's interesting to note that it was Stan LEE's idea to bring Gwen back, not Conway's.

Stan, apparently was so freaked out by the backlash of mail, that he ordered Conway to fix it, but the whole idea didn't turn out positive either. Really, fans overall were accepting that death, in the Amazing Spider-man series, had always been there and was a part of the history of the title.

If they'd just left it alone and let it run it's course....

As a kid pulling these off the shelves in the 70's, this was mind-bowing stuff, second only to Starlin's Captain Marvel. I liked how it got weirder and weirder as the storyline continued, right up to Clone Gwen and the climatic unmasking of Professor Warren. Then to top it off, we get Clone Spidey duking it out with Real Spidey and one dies... but which one?

I also liked how the whole story was tied up in Spectacular Spider-man with Carrion. It worked well and didn't ruin the original in any way.

Yes, I like the way it seemed to just get crazy and crazier. Loved the trantula. He just didn't give a damn about anything except the money.

If you look back over the Andru run, Miles Warren makes a lot of cameos. I wonder how far in advance the true identity of the Jackal was plotted. Or was this another Green Goblin, wait to the last minute to figure out who he could be?

I agree that the Spectacular Spider-Man issues did nothing to tarnish the original plotline, unlike some others we dare not mention.

I loved this run, I remember being bitterly disappointed when Conway left as writer and Wein took over, yep truly one of the last great Spiderman storylines, I wonder what influenced Conway at the time? hm

I read them when they were brand new, and I was also nine years old. I thought they were awesome at the time, and would love to read them again.

Still, I can't help but think that the storyline would have been even better if Carrion had been revealed to be the decayed Spider-Clone as originally intended.

hm

The original clone saga had so many plot holes that Marvel had to dedicate an entire letters column in ASM #153 to explain everything:

I remember reading that thing a couple of times or two. They should have included this the Spider-Man Essentials. It may have helped out new readers.

The original clone saga had so many plot holes that Marvel had to dedicate an entire letters column in ASM #153 to explain everything:

Actually, the only major plothole was what the heck Ned Leeds was there all the time, in multiple issues, watching, listening, etc. to the entire Miles Warren is Jackal/Peter Parker is Spider-man reveal, then acting like nothing happened at all.

That was pretty bad, and they compounded it over and over. I know they needed someone to be in peril during the final showdown, and that Gwen "save" Prof Warren, but that was pretty bad plotting.

Otherwise it was just explaining stuff that knotheads didn't grasp the first time through.

One cool thing about that story was the idea that the Clone was actually out and about, posing as Peter Parker/Spidey during the last few issues. Creepy stuff.

Still, I can't help but think that the storyline would have been even better if Carrion had been revealed to be the decayed Spider-Clone as originally intended.

No, I actually liked the storyline the way it was, especially the powers Carrion had (it would not have worked with the clone) but it would have been cool to see the Spidey-clone come back in another issue.

But man, that 90's Clone Fiasco was bad, especially the part about clones dissolving the moment they die. What brainless hack thought that up? doh!

Actually, the only major plothole was what the heck Ned Leeds was there all the time, in multiple issues, watching, listening, etc. to the entire Miles Warren is Jackal/Peter Parker is Spider-man reveal, then acting like nothing happened at all.

That was pretty bad, and they compounded it over and over. I know they needed someone to be in peril during the final showdown, and that Gwen "save" Prof Warren, but that was pretty bad plotting.

Otherwise it was just explaining stuff that knotheads didn't grasp the first time through.

One cool thing about that story was the idea that the Clone was actually out and about, posing as Peter Parket/Spidey during the last few issues. Creepy stuff.

Yes, the Ned Leeds thing was bad throughout. Sometimes he was blindfolded including his ears, others he wasn't even blindfolded. The biggest gaffe was in issue 149 where he was shown on the table next to Spidey but the Jackal mysteriously still has him captive; thus they had to come up with an explanation in the letter's page for that.

But what about the original plotting of the Jackal in issue 129 and 130 where he was trying to kill Spider-Man? Had the Punisher succeeded, what would he have done with his clones? Weren't the clones part of the revenge factor? Maybe the Jackal was just a mixed up man, shifting goals and expectactions as he went along, but that didn't ring true to me. HIs goals of crimelord and his goal of revenge against Spider-Man, while are mutually exclusive, just didn't make sense.

I think Issue 148 was my favorite of this run, starting with the cover, which is one of my all-time favorites. I loved the fight with the Tarantula in the dark. I loved when he got knocked into that Beer billboard, but it always bothered me the way he was in the middle of it initially, but when he got knocked out, he was at the top, like a beer can being opened.

Ok, not trying to dominate my own thread. Just reread these and they are fresh on my mind. Love to hear from others. And thanks to those that have chimed in so far.

An old fuddy duddy here who read it as a teenager and didn't like it. It reaked of a plot device to manipulate the reader and bring back a popular character that, until that point, had been used only in the horrid imaginary stories of the Distinguished Competition.

I will have to re-read it again soon in my Spidey essentials. I liked it many years ago when I first read it. I have no love for the 90's clone saga!

I recently re-read the Gwen clone saga and it is pure drek. I think what made it most difficult to read is Ross Andru's artwork. I can't stomach it.

I'm really surprised at the amount of positive response to this storyline and now I'm wondering if someone's going to get all nostalgic and start a Spider-mobile appreciation thread. Yeesh!