• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comics and Depression!

53 posts in this topic

You didn't ask for recommendations, but I always get a kick out of this story. It's a ten pager, and has a most satisfying ending. It always cheers me up. Issue # 14

50565.jpg

After re-reading my post - I'm just glad I did not assume all new books are mildly annoying and lacking joy and kept right along :cool: Chew was good and I always enjoyed Fables, Walking Dead and Y. I've been trying to get into Hulk and Thor lately but nothing has grabbed my attention.

My 10 year old son and his cousins of that age basically have told me the reason why they don`t read Batman,Spider-man and other modern comic books is because they are not fun, that they are gloomy and sad all the time, my son will read Sunday newspaper comic strips and laugh out loud but does not like modern comics because of the non-fun factor so I think you may be on to something that the majority of modern comics are dark and depressing.

After re-reading my post - I'm just glad I did not assume all new books are mildly annoying and lacking joy and kept right along :cool: Chew was good and I always enjoyed Fables, Walking Dead and Y. I've been trying to get into Hulk and Thor lately but nothing has grabbed my attention.

My 10 year old son and his cousins of that age basically have told me the reason why they don`t read Batman,Spider-man and other modern comic books is because they are not fun, that they are gloomy and sad all the time, my son will read Sunday newspaper comic strips and laugh out loud but does not like modern comics because of the non-fun factor so I think you may be on to something that the majority of modern comics are dark and depressing.

Good point. I was thinking of suggesting that he read an old Barks Duck or Scrooge comic cuz they are lots of fun.

Wow two for the price of one. :applause:

Although it pleases me greatly to see that I've offeneded you bores, I guess I have to clearly state that I was being facetious.

Heath can attest to the fact that I would'nt be purposefully disrespectful.

Thanks for ruining my perfectly timed post, and continue being the model forumites you have displayed yourselves to be. (worship)

Although it pleases me greatly to see that I've offeneded you bores, I guess I have to clearly state that I was being facetious.

Thanks for ruining my perfectly timed post, and continue being the model forumites you have displayed yourselves to be. (worship)

You still are a knob.

You still are a knob.

Thank you kind sir!

Now those two fine fellows wont even see my witty retort.

You still are a knob.

I just realized that I spelled knob nob in a WC post the other day.

Your paypal addy please Mr fingh.

1coolengineer - Very sorry to hear about your divorce and feelings of depression, as many others have affirmed, you are taking the right steps to feel better.

I'm in the middle of a difficult divorce myself and can totally relate...don't know if you're a Christian but turning to God has helped me tremendously in dealing with the the crushing stress and other issues involved in divorce, especially when children are involved and you are the "left behind" spouse. Hang in there! (thumbs u

Greg

Depression and anxiety attacks are tough experiences. I hope you find some combination of therapies that works really well for you, and which speeds you on a path to recovery.

The art works well with the story, I think. It's not the right art for another story perhaps, but for Chew, it fits just right.

I've only read the first 5 issues so far but I have to disagree - the art distracts from the story for me.

P.s. Try reading "Chew", pretty awesome.

Except for the art, which is depressing to know that people like it.

The art is terrible indeed.

Thank you. I need fewer people competing for Chew pages I want.

The art works well with the story, I think. It's not the right art for another story perhaps, but for Chew, it fits just right.

I've only read the first 5 issues so far but I have to disagree - the art distracts from the story for me.

You're wrong.

:baiting:

Seriously though, I can see how some people wouldn't like it. It's certainly not the style of art that would be welcomed by the masses. I tend to like overly stylized art. At least sometimes. But what do I know? I like some of Ramos' work, too. (shrug)

You still are a knob.

Thank you kind sir!

You know after reading the thread again, I get it. Initially I missed your post wishing him well and thought you were just being callous. I can't take back my rude comment, but I do apologize for it.

You still are a knob.

Thank you kind sir!

You know after reading the thread again, I get it. Initially I missed your post wishing him well and thought you were just being callous. I can't take back my rude comment, but I do apologize for it.

Just when I was getting some street cred! :frustrated:

Thanks. (thumbs u