• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

More Suscha News Grades Are In

176 posts in this topic

A question... Do all the Sucshas have the largish store stamp / date stamp on the back cover? I was outbid on all but the ASM 62 during the December auction, so it's the only one I've actually seen the back cover of.

I won the ASM 44 and Avengers 59 and neither have what i would call a "largish" date stamp. Imo, both are pretty small and unobtrusive.

Also, both books are SPECTACULAR! I'm definitely a Suscha news ped fan (thumbs u

Oops! Just realized you said "back cover". I dont have back cover scans but IIRC, i dont think either of my books have back cover stamps.

Here's the back cover of the Suscha ASM #62 so you can see what I was asking about. It's a stamp about 1-1/4" square with "4 8" (possibly April 8th?) and some ink below and to the right.

I'm not a fan of arrival dates / stamps, so I generally don't bid on books with them. I neglected to inquire about the back cover on this one, though.

Arrival/date stamps usually dont bother me at all. Yours though would probably bother me a little though so i understand what you are talking about. The numbers wouldnt be a problem in the least to me but that red splotch underneath would bother even me! It almost looks like a ink fingerprint.

I'll check when i get home but i dont think my ASM44 or Avengers 59 have those. Since they dont bother me though maybe they are there and it just didnt register with me (shrug)

There is nothing worse than flipping a prized win like that over and finding a date stamp. (shrug)

date.jpg

I love date stamps, of any kind, of any type, in any place, the more obtrusive the better, EXCEPT..the big block types that look like giant library due dates.

Other than that, love 'em. They provide me a precise date when someone, somewhere handled the book brand spankin' new.

:cloud9:

That date stamp definitely ain't bothering me!!!

That is tapworthy every day of the week and 10 times on Sunday! (thumbs u

You can't see the whole 'book'... (shrug)

The top edge may be completely mangled. There may be pieces added to the front.

And god only knows how many times it's been pressed. :tonofbricks:

None of them bother me as long as they are small and neat like the ones on my ASM44 I posted. I actually think ones like that are kind of cool. It's like a little piece of the books history. I really like the little stamps on some back covers that say the name of the store and address, those are cool in my book, pun intended!

The ones that bug me are the sloppy ones that just look like chicken scratch and you can't even tell what the hell it says.

I love date stamps, of any kind, of any type, in any place, the more obtrusive the better, EXCEPT..the big block types that look like giant library due dates.

Other than that, love 'em. They provide me a precise date when someone, somewhere handled the book brand spankin' new.

Yes, I see your point. It does add a bit to the entire nostalgia and feeling for the book's birth and where it's been. BUT, wouldn't you get that without it? I mean, you know they went out to "someone/somewhere" at that date. Do you really need a date-stamp for it? Are books with or without them better or worse? Especially KEY books and GRAILS. :fear:

Yes, I see your point. It does add a bit to the entire nostalgia and feeling for the book's birth and where it's been. BUT, wouldn't you get that without it? I mean, you know they went out to "someone/somewhere" at that date. Do you really need a date-stamp for it? Are books with or without them better or worse? Especially KEY books and GRAILS. :fear:

Everyone is different. Some people despise them. Can I get the nostalgia without a date stamp? No, not the way my brain is wired in this particular way, not that particular kind of nostalgia. Date stamps make it real for me.

All of which to say is, books either are date stamped, or they are not. I don't pay a premium for date stamps (and neither should anyone else, lest a spurious date stamp black market spring up), and I certainly do not reject non-date stamped books, but date stamps give that extra special something for me.

Everyone is different. Some people despise them. Can I get the nostalgia without a date stamp? No, not the way my brain is wired in this particular way, not that particular kind of nostalgia. Date stamps make it real for me.

All of which to say is, books either are date stamped, or they are not. I don't pay a premium for date stamps (and neither should anyone else, lest a spurious date stamp black market spring up), and I certainly do not reject non-date stamped books, but date stamps give that extra special something for me.

I see your point and all, but I think if I'm paying the same price in grade, why would I want a date stamp, or any writing on the cover? Why should anyone really? Man, I don't wanna poop on this beautiful thread of books though. Will make my own tomorrow.

Graffiti of any kind is unacceptable on my books. I don't care if it was some kids name or some distributors ink or somebody's attempt at time keeping. Of course, every rule has an exception and I make one for white paged golden age books that came out of a basement in Colorado.

Having said that, the Suscha News collection does look awesome. I was the underbidder on an ASM 96 CGC 9.4 White Pages in the December auction. My underbid was a little ridiculous and I'm glad I didn't win. I'll find another. FWIW, the guys at Metropolis have always been great to work with in my experience over the last 20 years.

By far the hardest Marvel Picture Frame ever.

Not even close...

Sorry, let me re-phase the hardest Marvel "Superhero" picture frame that is not a Romance or Western.

I actually found some non-superhero picture frames before the new year in HG, and I still have not found a NM- to NM copy of Avengers 103 "raw" anywhere.

So I am assuming your comment is directed towards some of the westerns or love Marvel Picture Frames, cause there is no other superhero MPF that is harder in HG than Avengers 103.

Not in my experience anyway.

By far the hardest Marvel Picture Frame ever.

Not even close...

Sorry, let me re-phase the hardest Marvel "Superhero" picture frame that is not a Romance or Western.

I actually found some non-superhero picture frames before the new year in HG, and I still have not found a NM- to NM copy of Avengers 103 "raw" anywhere.

So I am assuming your comment is directed towards some of the westerns or love Marvel Picture Frames, cause there is no other superhero MPF that is harder in HG than Avengers 103.

Not in my experience anyway.

Except for the Superhero reprint comics. :baiting:

Graffiti of any kind is unacceptable on my books. I don't care if it was some kids name or some distributors ink or somebody's attempt at time keeping. Of course, ever rule has an exception and I make one for white paged golden age books that came out of a basement in Colorado.

Having said that, the Suscha News collection does look awesome. I was the underbidder on an ASM 96 CGC 9.4 White Pages in the December auction. My underbid was a little ridiculous and I'm glad I didn't win. I'll find another. FWIW, the guys at Metropolis have always been great to work with in my experience over the last 20 years.

:shy:

No date stamp, perfectly centered, white pages, and not cheap but it is a really tight copy for a 9.4. I see the 97 and 98 both graded out at 9.8! :o

as96.jpg

Graffiti of any kind is unacceptable on my books. I don't care if it was some kids name or some distributors ink or somebody's attempt at time keeping. Of course, ever rule has an exception and I make one for white paged golden age books that came out of a basement in Colorado.

:shy:

No date stamp, perfectly centered, white pages, and not cheap but it is a really tight copy for a 9.4. I see the 97 and 98 both graded out at 9.8! :o

as96.jpg

IT WAS YOU, ALFREDO!!! :applause: Nice pick up, man! It's gorgeous and the centering is really tough to find on that book. Damn. (thumbs u

I see your point and all, but I think if I'm paying the same price in grade, why would I want a date stamp, or any writing on the cover? Why should anyone really? Man, I don't wanna poop on this beautiful thread of books though. Will make my own tomorrow.

...because some people like date stamps and other newsstand distributor markings on their comics.

:makepoint:

...because some people like date stamps and other newsstand distributor markings on their comics.

I like date stamps, and store markings on certain books. Really depends on placement.

I like date stamps, and store markings on certain books. Really depends on placement.

I do too. I actually prefer them with markings than without.

Obviously if it's nasty or smudged then it might bother me but a clean marking to me is like a marking of the birth of that comic as it enters the world through the newsstand.

I do too. I actually prefer them with markings than without.

Obviously if it's nasty or smudged then it might bother me but a clean marking to me is like a marking of the birth of that comic as it enters the world through the newsstand.

+1

I like them A LOT! I wouldn't pay a premium for it but i actually prefer a nice, neat date stamp. Looking at my 2 Suscha News books, it looks like he actually tried to keep them neat and blend them in. Maybe it's just a coincidence but these 2 books came in within 8 days of each other 10/9 and 10/17. He used a black pen on the black ASM44 cover and a red pen on the red Avengers 59. Thats pretty cool in my book!

Oops, had the date messed up. They were almost 2 years apart on arrival date. Still, cool in my book that he used the same color pen as the cover (thumbs u

asm44.jpg

av59.jpg