• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Wolverine - Jackman Goes to Japan!

62 posts in this topic

Found this:

The award-winning writer-director reveals his plans for making the pseudo-sequel to X-Men Origins: Wolverine—"we're definitely going to make something great."

Looking at Aronofsky's resume, there's nothing on it that would lead you to believe that he should be directing a film about Wolverine—except, perhaps, his relationship with Hugh Jackman, who starred in The Fountain. Nevertheless, Fox has handed him the keys to the jewel in the X-Men crown and is letting him adapt Chris Claremont and Frank Miller's "Wolvie goes to Japan" miniseries—which is all about doomed love, tested honor and a boatload of ninjas.

"There's not too much blowing s--t up," he says. "It's a stand-alone piece that has nothing to do with anything in the whole franchise or in that universe."

I'm torn. This sounds pretty good on paper...yet the story it's based on is what pretty much ruined Wolverine as a character for me. I prefer the ticking time bomb version over the failed samurai (shrug)

Found this:

The award-winning writer-director reveals his plans for making the pseudo-sequel to X-Men Origins: Wolverine—"we're definitely going to make something great."

Looking at Aronofsky's resume, there's nothing on it that would lead you to believe that he should be directing a film about Wolverine—except, perhaps, his relationship with Hugh Jackman, who starred in The Fountain.

The Fountain is a stunning film and Aronofksy is brilliant far as I'm concerned. The graphical novel of The Fountain is simply brilliant.

I

cannot

wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If it's 'Logan In Japan'...

I don't give a carp what anyone says..

They got my and my family's ten

bucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:headbang:

With Frank Miller on this,my hopes are high. :applause:
Yeah... cause Robocop 2 was cinematic genious. Personally I think Miller is overrated.

And hopefully he brings some of his creative genius from The Spirit.

:sick:

The shame is, I like Miller's work, so I hate to see any majo failure that he is involved in. Thank goodness, they're rare.

What about the Kitty Pride/ Wolverine miniseries plot? I thought that was one of the better stories about his Japan adventures. It would also bring in a female "super hero" to balance him.

Only if they can get Al Milgrom to come in and lend his considerable artistic merits to the production. :jokealert:

Sorry but I couldn't even read that mini, much less enjoy it. IMO it blew goats.

X-Men #172 & 173 would be far better. Those two issues come in right behind the Wolvie mini. Even the good guys were at each others throats the whole time. The more I think of it the more I think those two issues are movie ready. The Characters, Conflicts and Resolution were all first rate. And Paul Smith's cinematic panels (especially during the Wolvie/Silver Samurai fight) are a perfect blueprint for cinematic gold. :popcorn:

Ah, the good old days when Chris Claremont could depend on a consistent stash of cannibus - and WE could depend on strong storytelling. :cloud9:

When Byrne came along during the Iron Fist and Marvel Team-Up days he introduced Claremont to the wonders of the Devils Weed :devil: and his writing went off the hook yo. Chris & John would break out the three foot bong and brainstorm like there was no tomorrow. :cool: In between runs to Fosters Freeze and AM/PM (too much good stuff!) they would team-up for what would become one of the greatest runs in the history of funny books. As long as he had the herbs he was flowing.

When Claremont & Byrne got in a fight over the last twinkie circa #143 John took his bong and went home, taking his connection with him. Without a dependable hookup Claremont's next 12 years were spotty as he never had a consistent flow of Marley lettuce. And coming right after "The Run" the results were made that much more jarring. Like a 42 degree temperature swing. The run between #144 & #171 was particularly rough, although he must have scored a dime bag at Santa Monica pier while in LA because #159 & 160 were vintage Claremont. Now that I think of it, #144 wasn't too bad either....Brent Anderson must have been firing up Claremont.

But you always knew when Claremont was rolling and had a good supply because he would have his "just like the good ole 108 thru 143 days" moments: The Mutant Massacre, 221 & 222, The Brood in 232 thru 234, Inferno - all winners sandwiched between uninspired stories lifted from Days Of Our Lives, Dynasty and Magnum PI and thrown in a blender with the Superfriends (during the Wonder Twins period).

Issues #248 thru #258 was Claremont's Silver Age: a 10 issue run that rivalled anything he did with JB: The Muir Island Saga, the 2nd Wolvie in Japan storyline with Jim Lee, the new Psylocke/Mandarin/The Hand. Silvestri & Lee must have been helping ole Chris out because when they left, it was like when Sean Connery left the Bond Series, Curly left the 3 Stooges and David Lee Roth left Van Halen all rolled up (pun intended) in one.

I'll stop there before I overstep my welcome..... My :signofftopic:rantrant was close to the end anyway.....

What about the Kitty Pride/ Wolverine miniseries plot? I thought that was one of the better stories about his Japan adventures. It would also bring in a female "super hero" to balance him.

Only if they can get Al Milgrom to come in and lend his considerable artistic merits to the production. :jokealert:

Sorry but I couldn't even read that mini, much less enjoy it. IMO it blew goats.

X-Men #172 & 173 would be far better. Those two issues come in right behind the Wolvie mini. Even the good guys were at each others throats the whole time. The more I think of it the more I think those two issues are movie ready. The Characters, Conflicts and Resolution were all first rate. And Paul Smith's cinematic panels (especially during the Wolvie/Silver Samurai fight) are a perfect blueprint for cinematic gold. :popcorn:

Ah, the good old days when Chris Claremont could depend on a cosistent stash of cannibus - and WE could depend on strong storytelling. :cloud9:

When Byrne came along during the Iron Fist and Marvel Team-Up days he introduced Claremont to the wonders of the Devils Weed :devil: and his writing went off the hook yo. Chris & John would break out the three foot bong and brainstorm like there was no tomorrow. :cool: In between runs to Fosters Freeze and AM/PM (too much good stuff!) they would team-up for what would become one of the greatest runs in the history of funny books. As long as he had the herbs he was flowing.

When Claremont & Byrne got in a fight over the last twinkie circa #143 John took his bong and went home, taking his connection with him. Without a dependable hookup Claremont's next 12 years were spotty as he never had a consistent flow of Marley lettuce. And coming right after "The Run" the results were made that much more jarring. Like a 42 degree temperature swing. The run between #144 & #171 was particularly rough, although he must have scored a dime bag at Santa Monica pier while in LA because #159 & 160 were vintage Claremont. Now that I think of it, #144 wasn't too bad either....Brent Anderson must have been firing up Claremont.

But you always knew when Claremont was rolling and had a good supply because he would have his "just like the good ole 108 thru 143 days" moments: The Mutant Massacre, 221 & 222, The Brood in 232 thru 234, Inferno - all winners sandwiched between uninspired stories lifted from Days Of Our Lives, Dynasty and Magnum PI and thrown in a blender with the Superfriends (during the Wonder Twins period).

Issues #248 thru #258 was Claremont's Silver Age: a 10 issue run that rivalled anything he did with JB: The Muir Island Saga, the 2nd Wolvie in Japan storyline with Jim Lee, the new Psylocke/Mandarin/The Hand. Silvestri & Lee must have been helping ole Chris out because when they left, it was like when Sean Connery left the Bond Series, Curly left the 3 Stooges and David Lee Roth left Van Halen all rolled up (pun intended) in one.

I'll stop there before I overstep my welcome..... My :signofftopic:rantrant was close to the end anyway.....

I think you need to either put down or pass whatever it is you're smoking :)

Jackman is too tall to be Wolverine...

So was this fellow to play Gimli (John Rhys-Davies is over 6' tall), and yet movie magic made it work perfectly.

gimli.jpg

Lord of the Rings :sick:

I am sorry my fanboy friends, but that movie sucked as bad a Twilight.

FF button is the only way I could make it through those two -fests.

come on.... I haven't seen Twilight, but Lord of the Rings did not suck.

So was this fellow to play Gimli (John Rhys-Davies is over 6' tall), and yet movie magic made it work perfectly.

gimli.jpg

I thought it was an odd comment as well. Lord of the Rings was an amazing trilogy.

gimli.jpg

I thought it was an odd comment as well. Lord of the Rings was an amazing trilogy.

I only saw the first one and I really want my time and money back. More overrated .