• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: Unhappy kids

315 posts in this topic

Agreed. There's a difference between discipline and humiliation.

What of the new trend among some judges to hand out public-humiliation sentences for some offenders?

:applause:

You're both gonna have to explain to me what humiliating a child has to do with sentences handed down in courts of law.

I think the point is humiliation is humiliation whether it's an adult or a child.

And the relevance to the discussion of the appropriateness of the E-Bay auction is what, other than none?

Mature adults handle humiliation much differently than a child who's psyche is still being formed.

So if a child is "humiliated" in any way, their psyche is so fragile that their on the road to violence or a life of crime?

What if the kid broke wind in class at school and was humiliated. Would that tip them over the edge?

There is no better thing for a child's mental well being than making sure that they feel safe and secure and comfortable in their parent's care. It's their safe zone. It's called home and there can be no compromise in that. Home needs to feel safe.

Being embarrassed by your peers is something entirely different than being embarrassed by your parents.

This is poor parenting, lazy and poor parenting.

+1 Only one of the kids is crying.

I don't laugh out loud at many things....this one I did. Thanks Richard

lol

I missed it mixed in with the pussyfest. Thanks for bumping it. lol

I agree. Hilarious!

Religion

Politics

Parenting

Pressing

...in that order.

Apologies to anyone who may have thought my previous post in this thread (now deleted) was directed at them. It wasn't. Just my overreaction to some of the overreacting in this thread.

I would have to disagree with the order here. Parenting is first.

Ask any parent which is more important, religion or your kids? politics or your kids?

This isn't order of importance...this is a list of thing you should never discuss amongst friends. The order is 100% correct

Parenting comes first. Always.

What of the new trend among some judges to hand out public-humiliation sentences for some offenders?

You're both gonna have to explain to me what humiliating a child has to do with sentences handed down in courts of law.

I think the point is humiliation is humiliation whether it's an adult or a child.

And the relevance to the discussion of the appropriateness of the E-Bay auction is what, other than none?

Whether or not the children pictured are personally feeling humiliated versus someone wearing clothing that reads "OFFENDER" or "DRUNK DRIVER" while picking up garbage along a busy highway. In other words, similar forms of punishment.

Whether or not the children pictured are personally feeling humiliated versus someone wearing clothing that reads "OFFENDER" or "DRUNK DRIVER" while picking up garbage along a busy highway. In other words, similar forms of punishment.

And here I thought we were talking about an issue of parenting, rather than the treatment by society of convicted criminals. My bad.

Humiliating an adult for breaking the law is a hell of a lot different than humiliating an 8 and 6 year old for ruining a bathtub or for anything really.

Humiliating an adult for breaking the law is a hell of a lot different than humiliating an 8 and 6 year old for ruining a bathtub or for anything really.

Yeah. You don't get Child Protective Services called on you when you do it to an adult.

Religion

Politics

Parenting

Pressing

...in that order.

Apologies to anyone who may have thought my previous post in this thread (now deleted) was directed at them. It wasn't. Just my overreaction to some of the overreacting in this thread.

I would have to disagree with the order here. Parenting is first.

Ask any parent which is more important, religion or your kids? politics or your kids?

This isn't order of importance...this is a list of thing you should never discuss amongst friends. The order is 100% correct

This order is 100% correct.

FIFY. 100% correct... :sumo:

INFINITY!

Yeah. You don't get Child Protective Services called on you when you do it to an adult.

Well, the two "adults" in this case are about to be opened up to a world of humiliation. Great job mom and dad. Hmmm maybe posting the picture was not very well thought out.

And here I thought we were talking about an issue of parenting, rather than the treatment by society of convicted criminals. My bad.

I'm not sure. This thread has spun off in a myriad of directions. All of them with the effect of a snowpocalypse in a teapot.

For those that don't want to read the whole thread, here's a summary...

comix4fun: Nu-uh

RMA: Nu-huh

dramatic reading>

lol

All of this is based on the assumption that the children are even feeling humiliation. Unless they are being taunted by their peers or are aware of all the attention this is receiving, then I would say the only thing they care about is losing their toys and their life savings that was in the piggy bank.

I want some Beyblades so I can destroy some mess, too. :applause:

We should be dropping them by the plane-load on the mountains of khandahar.

Someone's opinion about what is and is not right in the rearing of a child...in which the child is clearly not being harmed in any meaningful way...

Let us know

Oh please...argue for your own self.

if you feel a throbbing sensation just before your head explodes from putting two contradictory statements so close to each other in the same paragraph.

And those statements are not contradictory in the slightest. Outside of direct harm, there is a whole world of opinion. Your opinion isn't any more valid or invalid than any others, and the important thing is this: I'll never tell you how to raise your own kids.

You stated that people were off base by having an opinion as to whether what these parents did was proper and that they were mistaken to state those opinions as facts.

You followed that up by stating an opinion as a fact that these kids have not been harmed in any meaningful way. How do you know that? Isn't that just you opinion? Isn't it just based on that photo and your personal feelings?

Because you can clearly see that the children are physically healthy, and were obviously not mentally harmed because they were playing with their toys, normally.

How exactly is that any more or less valid than the opinions you are shooting out of the sky as invalid with your howitzer of love and understanding?

Pot meet contradiction.

That's how. Unless you can see something that others cannot.

You saw with your eyes and came to a conclusion that they are 100% fine. You made both medical and psychological diagnoses from a fricken picture and you are saying that's NOT an opinion? That's a proven fact? Really?

You stated an opinion and so did I. You think yours is fact, that's the difference I think.

As a side note you have just put thousands of Doctors out of business because you made a medical diagnosis of their physical condition using an ebay photo. The only parts of them you can see are their hands and faces. Are you saying that you can state to a 100% indisputable fact that they aren't bruised from shoulder to ankle under those clothes? Really? How do you know they weren't spanked or beaten? Good lord that's irresponsible. I think this was a thing to do to these kids but even I didn't go so far as to make a fricken med/psych eval on them. I didn't because we don't know anything about these kids, sure not that there's NOTHING wrong with them.

We won't even get into how off base the psych evaluation was being that you still have only that one photo and nothing else to go by.

Defending something this out there is not what I expected from you. It's too blatantly silly.

I'm making an assumption based on the evidence in front of my own two eyes.

It's better than making an assumption on what you CANNOT see, as you have been doing this whole thread...

;)

You mean like assuming they are fine both physically and mentally because of that picture?

Dat's what I said, booty traps!

There A LOT you CANNOT see from that picture. So NO it's not any better, not even a smidgen.

Quite a bit better from this angle, but comme ci, comme ça....

All of this is based on the assumption that the children are even feeling humiliation. Unless they are being taunted by their peers or are aware of all the attention this is receiving, then I would say the only thing they care about is losing their toys and their life savings that was in the piggy bank.

I think it's more accurate to say that this is about the parents opening their children up to the humiliation. It's a betrayal of trust in an unspoken contract.

When a kid is born they instinctively trust their parents.

Something like this denigrates that trust.

Oh please. You guys are wildly overreacting, and having an emotional response to a poor little kid crying.

Remind me to turn on the water works if we ever get in a deal for some sweet books....

Suckahs.

:luhv:

Uh, no...it's an emotional response to the breach of trust that those parents created.

That is the core of the discussion.

Quite a bit better from this angle, but comme ci, comme ça....

I was thinking on my train ride home about what you said about it being none of our business.

You are right. How parents discipline their kids in the privacy of their own home, as long as it doesn't cross into the illegal, is none of our business. It's wrong of us to butt in and talk about them in any way.

However, didn't the parents post that auction, that explanation, and that photo on EBAY for the entire world to see?

They willfully opened themselves up to public examination and ridicule by their actions. They gave up the cozy comforts of the privacy of the 4 walls of their home when they decided to tell the world and show the world how they choose to discipline.

They opened the door and invited us in, they can't complain about what we have to say now.