• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: Unhappy kids

315 posts in this topic

So, judging from the consensus it looks as if the parents are about to be imminently slaughtered.

Of course they are. Can't you tell those children are angels? They would never do anything wrong or disobey... just look at them. You can tell they're as innocent as snow.

Oh, and I forgot. No one is ever responsible for their own actions. It's always someone else's fault. Get with the programme. Seesh.

Lazy , recliner jockey, "get me my turkey pot pie", parents might think that making sure they learn to take responsibility and THIS are the same thing.

Those kids could be total individual_without_enough_empathys, I dunno, all I know is nothing about posting that picture on the internet is going to make them LESS of individual_without_enough_empathys.

Maybe not, but I bet they don't play beyblade in the bathtub anymore.

I blame the parents for this as maybe they should have done their homework before buying the Beyblades, it likes the parents who buy a squirt gun for their kid then complain later how sonnyboy ruined their $2000 dollar HDTV with the squirt gun,well maybe if these parents didn`t buy this stuff in the first place they wouldn`t have to embarass themselves and kids on Ebay. 2c

Your conclusions are built on assumptions that cannot be proved.

I tend to think that these apparent 6 and 8 year olds are NOT being exposed to "world wide ridicule", and I GUARANTEE you, there are lots and lots of kids who would have HAPPILY chosen this punishment over other, much more physical forms of punishment.

I know I would.

Anyone imagining these kids will be permanently scarred because of this is ludicrous, at best.

Please, this has all the hallmarks of poor and lazy parenting. Give your kids a dangerous toy that they should not have in the first place and then sell off all their possessions to pay for damage that would have been avoided if you just put your beer down and taught them about life instead of inflicting life upon them.

Perhaps you should read the BIO of "The Star Wars Kid" first before making up your mind as to how ludicrous it is to think that people can be scarred by this type of thing on the internet.

Or perhaps the student who committed suicide when he was outed on the internet.

Things posted on the internet are there FOREVER, and these two would not be the first to have permanent damage done to them.

I have a 9 year old and a 7 year old. I am sure these kids would prefer this punishment over physical punishment but there are DOZENS of ways to teach these children a lesson that don't involve EITHER.

The lazy, the stupid, and the immature parents jump to either physical punishment or humiliation on this magnitude in place of real parenting. Mature, caring adults realize that you can teach your children life lessons that lead to them being responsible adults with neither of the punishments you mention being employed.

It's harder and it takes longer to teach your kids lessons instead of reacting this way, and it takes more work to treat your kids with respect, but showing them how respect works is the quickest way to them showing respect themselves.

These kids are getting shown FEAR right now. They are probably being shown anger on a pretty good scale as well. These aren't 16 year olds who got into a car accident and have to pay the bill. They are small and young children that could be taking lessons from this that would serve them in their entire life, but instead they get to learn that their dad pulled a giant move on them instead.

Lazy parents are the ones who treat their kids as inmates and see themselves as the warden. I am about as strict as they come with my kids, but I always do it with love, understanding, and with the thought in my mind that I am trying to teach my kids something to help them through life.

Really? You REALLY believe this?

If those kids are anything like most people, IF someone remembers this 10 years from now, they will laugh about it. No one holds kids responsible for the things they do after they're grown, and that's even IF they are discovered.

You're blowing this wayyyyyyyyyy out of proportion. You don't know all the details, and your conclusions are based on things you just don't know.

Comparing this to being outed as gay, or the Star Wars Kid, is hyperbolic extremism.

Almost 500 more views since I took the first screen shot five minutes ago! lol

ae5yee.jpg

With nine days to go...

23wuusl.jpg

With that many views, I give it until Monday before some news agency picks this up and that picture is all over the internet. Debates will rage about parenting from people that have no clue all because this insufficiently_thoughtful_person mother/father decided that putting their picture on the auction was a good way to "discipline" them. Dumbasses.

Here is to hoping I am completely wrong and that does not happen. :wishluck:

Your conclusions are built on assumptions that cannot be proved.

I tend to think that these apparent 6 and 8 year olds are NOT being exposed to "world wide ridicule", and I GUARANTEE you, there are lots and lots of kids who would have HAPPILY chosen this punishment over other, much more physical forms of punishment.

I know I would.

Anyone imagining these kids will be permanently scarred because of this is ludicrous, at best.

Please, this has all the hallmarks of poor and lazy parenting. Give your kids a dangerous toy that they should not have in the first place and then sell off all their possessions to pay for damage that would have been avoided if you just put your beer down and taught them about life instead of inflicting life upon them.

Perhaps you should read the BIO of "The Star Wars Kid" first before making up your mind as to how ludicrous it is to think that people can be scarred by this type of thing on the internet.

Or perhaps the student who committed suicide when he was outed on the internet.

Things posted on the internet are there FOREVER, and these two would not be the first to have permanent damage done to them.

I have a 9 year old and a 7 year old. I am sure these kids would prefer this punishment over physical punishment but there are DOZENS of ways to teach these children a lesson that don't involve EITHER.

The lazy, the stupid, and the immature parents jump to either physical punishment or humiliation on this magnitude in place of real parenting. Mature, caring adults realize that you can teach your children life lessons that lead to them being responsible adults with neither of the punishments you mention being employed.

It's harder and it takes longer to teach your kids lessons instead of reacting this way, and it takes more work to treat your kids with respect, but showing them how respect works is the quickest way to them showing respect themselves.

These kids are getting shown FEAR right now. They are probably being shown anger on a pretty good scale as well. These aren't 16 year olds who got into a car accident and have to pay the bill. They are small and young children that could be taking lessons from this that would serve them in their entire life, but instead they get to learn that their dad pulled a giant move on them instead.

Lazy parents are the ones who treat their kids as inmates and see themselves as the warden. I am about as strict as they come with my kids, but I always do it with love, understanding, and with the thought in my mind that I am trying to teach my kids something to help them through life.

You are, of course, completely correct. I assume that most of us posting here have raised children and I'm really surprised at the "old school, tough love" from some of the members. Before you meltdown on my response to this, consider that nothing is as simple as you want it to be. The primary trouble for kids is parents who don't spend time with their children unless they do something wrong and then the parents explode with "discipline". This creates a childhood trauma (which is often repeated over and over) and that is one of the primary causes of mental illness later in life.

It's not as simple as "kids need lots of consequences and discipline". They need love much more than that.

Comparing this to being outed as gay, or the Star Wars Kid, is hyperbolic extremism.

You said that something on the internet could not scar a kid permanently.

Those are two examples of children and young adults who were impacted greatly by a simple posting on the internet that they never thought people would care about, or see, or would be a big deal.

Just because you want to downplay the potential of this doesn't mean it's not possible.

However, what strangers think of these kids is not what galls me in this. It's the lazy parenting. This is pure laziness, with a dash of stupidity, and a sprinkle of immaturity. Only an insufficiently_thoughtful_person thinks that posting that photo is going to have a positive impact in lives of his children. The lives of his children should be the primary concern of any parent. If a $500 bathtub is more important than his kids, their self esteem and his relationship to them, then he was starting from a position of absolute wrongness and took the express train to the depths of wrong town.

He's either posted it thinking he was going to teach them a lesson which makes him stupid, OR he's posted it to gain attention an money which makes him more akin to a pimp.

Either way, if money for a bathtub is more important to this guy than his kids, and the lessons he could be teaching them, then he's not any kind of parent I would wish on a kid.

Discipline IS love.

:popcorn:

Humiliation IS NOT Love.

Being too Lazy to teach your kids right from wrong and hoping the internet does it for you IS NOT Discipline.

:popcorn: :popcorn:

Almost 500 more views since I took the first screen shot five minutes ago! lol

ae5yee.jpg

With nine days to go...

23wuusl.jpg

With that many views, I give it until Monday before some news agency picks this up and that picture is all over the internet. Debates will rage about parenting from people that have no clue all because this insufficiently_thoughtful_person mother/father decided that putting their picture on the auction was a good way to "discipline" them. Dumbasses.

Here is to hoping I am completely wrong and that does not happen. :wishluck:

I almost want to buy these Beyblades, get them, and then ship them back to the kids.

Discipline IS love.

Humiliation IS NOT Love.

Being too Lazy to teach your kids right from wrong and hoping the internet does it for you IS NOT Discipline.

Baloney.

First, you don't know if these kids are being humiliated. They are KIDS. Their exposure to humiliation via an eBay auction is limited, at best.

Second, humiliation is a POWERFUL deterrent, and an effective form of discipline. If it keeps someone from doing something worse in the future, good. It is LOVE to discipline someone to keep themselves or others from further harm.

One of the single most effective events in my life occurred when, as a child, I had to apologize to someone in public for some evil I had done to them. It didn't scar me, but you better believe it humiliated me.

And as far as being too lazy...again, you're assuming.

I'm going to jump in as Devil's Advocate, because I'm seeing a lot of "poor parenting" comments being made and I don't think that there's sufficient evidence to reach that conclusion at this time.

For all we know, the parents sat the kids down and had a long talk in which they discussed:

1) how potentially dangerous/destructive these toys could be,

2) how the children would have to play responsibly and carefully with them,

3) set out groundrules for play, and

4) what the consquences of failure to follow the rules would be.

For all we know, the parents flat out told them that any misuse would result in this exact situation.

I'm not saying that this happened, but it could have. I know a lot of responsible parents who have talks like this with their kids. In which case, justly deserved discipline and (hopefully) lesson learned.

Sadly, I imagine the reality is that the kids weren't supervised properly and that the comments made here are accurate.

I'm going to jump in as Devil's Advocate, because I'm seeing a lot of "poor parenting" comments being made and I don't think that there's sufficient evidence to reach that conclusion at this time.

For all we know, the parents sat the kids down and had a long talk in which they discussed:

1) how potentially dangerous/destructive these toys could be,

2) how the children would have to play responsibly and carefully with them,

3) set out groundrules for play, and

4) what the consquences of failure to follow the rules would be.

For all we know, the parents flat out told them that any misuse would result in this exact situation.

I'm not saying that this happened, but it could have. I know a lot of responsible parents who have talks like this with their kids. In which case, justly deserved discipline and (hopefully) lesson learned.

Sadly, I imagine the reality is that the kids weren't supervised properly and that the comments made here are accurate.

I understand what you are saying.

So as Devil's Advocate you are saying making a contract between a 30-40 year old parent and a 6 year old kid is possible? That the small child is of the capacity to fully understand and consent?

Given your hypothesis, everything the parents did short of posting that photograph may make sense. The picture crosses the line, and given what everyone who uses the internet knows today it is a colossal mistake. So to me, even if everything in your hypo were true, it would still be incredibly poor parenting.

Wow, I don’t say much on this board but I cannot believe the amount of attention this is getting. Before I had chance to read all the replies, I emailed the link to the mother of my 5yr old daughter and my mother with the tile of “HAHA.” We all had a good laugh. Nothing traumatic is happening here, come on.

Discipline IS love.

Humiliation IS NOT Love.

Baloney.

First, you don't know if these kids are being humiliated. They are KIDS. Their exposure to humiliation via an eBay auction is limited, at best.

Second, humiliation is a POWERFUL deterrent, and an effective form of discipline. If it keeps someone from doing something worse in the future, good. It is LOVE to discipline someone to keep themselves or others from further harm.

One of the single most effective events in my life occurred when, as a child, I had to apologize to someone in public for some evil I had done to them. It didn't scar me, but you better believe it humiliated me.

And as far as being too lazy...again, you're assuming.

You don't think the picture of these kids being plastered all over the internet (if it does end up that way) is way over the top?

What if your parents, or guardians, forced you to make that apology while taping it and then slapping it on Facebook so the entire world could revel in your humiliation? Would that be a powerful deterrent or would it be someone taking it too far because they lack self control?

Disciplining a child by forcing them to make a public apology is a far cry from taking a picture of your crying kids and plastering it on an Ebay auction. I don't have an issue with the parents doing what they did other than posting that picture. That is the result of someone not thinking things through.

No picture and we can assume all day about their parenting skills, but posting that picture clears up a hell of a lot of info for me.

Wow, I don’t say much on this board but I cannot believe the amount of attention this is getting. Before I had chance to read all the replies, I emailed the link to the mother of my 5yr old daughter and my mother with the tile of “HAHA.” We all had a good laugh. Nothing traumatic is happening here, come on.

I agree, nothing traumatic at all......

to the adults.

Wait til the other kids in their class get a hold of this. You know what jerks can be to each other, right?