• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: Unhappy kids

315 posts in this topic

OhNoez! All the videos of kids doing stupid mess on Youtube should be taken down before the little bastards grow up and kill their families! :ohnoez:

You guys are giving me plenty of comic relief on this Friday. Carry on. :roflmao:

Discipline IS love.

:popcorn:

Humiliation IS NOT Love.

Being too Lazy to teach your kids right from wrong and hoping the internet does it for you IS NOT Discipline.

:popcorn: :popcorn:

Baloney.

First, you don't know if these kids are being humiliated. They are KIDS. Their exposure to humiliation via an eBay auction is limited, at best.

Second, humiliation is a POWERFUL deterrent, and an effective form of discipline. If it keeps someone from doing something worse in the future, good. It is LOVE to discipline someone to keep themselves or others from further harm.

One of the single most effective events in my life occurred when, as a child, I had to apologize to someone in public for some evil I had done to them. It didn't scar me, but you better believe it humiliated me.

And as far as being too lazy...again, you're assuming.

You don't think the picture of these kids being plastered all over the internet (if it does end up that way) is way over the top?

What if your parents, or guardians, forced you to make that apology while taping it and then slapping it on Facebook so the entire world could revel in your humiliation? Would that be a powerful deterrent or would it be someone taking it too far because they lack self control?

Disciplining a child by forcing them to make a public apology is a far cry from taking a picture of your crying kids and plastering it on an Ebay auction. I don't have an issue with the parents doing what they did other than posting that picture. That is the result of someone not thinking things through.

No picture and we can assume all day about their parenting skills, but posting that picture clears up a hell of a lot of info for me.

Perfectly said. That photo speaks a thousand words about the parents to me.

I have to wonder about the people "Having a good laugh" at this. Who laughs in the face of crying children? Who takes joy at that?

I think RMA would have turned out differently if his public apology was posted on YouTube and maybe even went viral. He would not be the well adjusted, albeit potentially harsh, contributor we know and love.

Future killer here. I hope it's not too late to prevent the murder! :ohnoez:

kid_crying.JPG

I'm keeping an eye on this one. I can almost see the swastika tattooed on his forehead. :ohnoez:

1055569383_7254689907.jpg

That is AWESOME! "No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but in the end, produces a harvest of good behavior." :cloud9:

Not sure they had to actually post a picture of the kid bawling on the internet though hm

That seems a little much to me. That kid will probably have a printed screenshot of that pic in about 10 years when he walks into a place and starts shooting it up :eek:

I'm all for discipline, especially as coddled and spoiled as these freaking kids are today but still seems a little over the top to post that pic in the auction imo.

It will make them think twice about destroying mom and dad's things, eh...?

It's a LIGHT punishment, all things considered.

Did you see that picture? Those kids look to be about 8 and 6. From the amount of Beyblades in that bag and their relative cost each, it would not be an unwise assumption that these were collected over some time. These toys are clearly marked ages 8 and up. So you have another parent giving their child a toy meant for older children and then blaming their faulty parenting and their laziness on the people least capable of making those decisions. Now that there are consequences it's up to the person with the least ability to tell right from wrong and the person who's too young to realize he was given a toy dangerous enough to destroy a hardened material (far harder than a child's skin) to pay the bill.

Are we supposed to believe they did all that damage in one play session? Or is it more likely this happened over the course of time and the parents never supervised their children closely enough to notice the damage.

If these beyblade can slice through porcelain this badly in one play session, I wonder why these parents weren't finding (or worrying about) giant gashes on their children's bodies.

The ebay genius never mentioned telling his kids in advance not to play in the bathtub. I wonder if he ever did. Or if, after seeing the damage, decided it was their fault anyway because 6 year olds are world renowned for being able to calculate the consequences of their actions without parental instruction beforehand.

This is poor parenting. Opening up your children to world wide ridicule because of, what seems like, lazy and poor parenting in the first place isn't teaching your kids to not play in the bathtub, it's teaching them that their father is a massive person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed and he can't be trusted to not take out his failures on them.

There are probably 100 ways to teach these kids a lesson about responsibility with property and money that don't involve destroying their self esteem or outing them publicly.

I agree RMA these kids will never forget this. When they 17 and their dad wakes up with a pillow over his face he won't have to guess who it is, or more likely, when the father is elderly and in need of care I am sure the kids will make sure the state home for the elderly has a nice shiny bathtub for him.

Are you serious, man? lol

I love you DICE!

OhNoez! All the videos of kids doing stupid mess on Youtube should be taken down before the little bastards grow up and kill their families! :ohnoez:

You guys are giving me plenty of comic relief on this Friday. Carry on. :roflmao:

This is not kids doing stupid mess though. This is a parent doing stupid mess to their kids because they are too stupid to realize that putting their picture in that auction is serves no purpose other than to make them feel like they are "disciplining" their kids.

Put that auction up there all day without the picture, I don't give a rusty fudge. The only reason they put the picture up there is because they are parents.

:foryou:

"Star Wars Kid" had to drop out of school and finished his semester of school from a psych ward.

Some people laugh when the lady slips and falls on the ice, some people run to help. It's human nature I guess. Some care, some don't.

Put yourself in their shoes for a second. If you aren't still laughing your off, then you have your answer about how funny it really is.

+1 googillion

"Star Wars Kid" had to drop out of school and finished his semester of school from a psych ward.

Some people laugh when the lady slips and falls on the ice, some people run to help. It's human nature I guess. Some care, some don't.

Put yourself in their shoes for a second. If you aren't still laughing your off, then you have your answer about how funny it really is.

Go help this woman while I laugh. :roflmao:

Go help this woman while I laugh. :roflmao:

Kids deserve better, especially from the people who's job it is to protect them.

You have kids Dice? I do, I can't imagine laughing in their face while they are crying.

Discipline IS love.

:popcorn:

Humiliation IS NOT Love.

Being too Lazy to teach your kids right from wrong and hoping the internet does it for you IS NOT Discipline.

:popcorn: :popcorn:

Baloney.

First, you don't know if these kids are being humiliated. They are KIDS. Their exposure to humiliation via an eBay auction is limited, at best.

Second, humiliation is a POWERFUL deterrent, and an effective form of discipline. If it keeps someone from doing something worse in the future, good. It is LOVE to discipline someone to keep themselves or others from further harm.

One of the single most effective events in my life occurred when, as a child, I had to apologize to someone in public for some evil I had done to them. It didn't scar me, but you better believe it humiliated me.

And as far as being too lazy...again, you're assuming.

You don't think the picture of these kids being plastered all over the internet (if it does end up that way) is way over the top?

What if your parents, or guardians, forced you to make that apology while taping it and then slapping it on Facebook so the entire world could revel in your humiliation? Would that be a powerful deterrent or would it be someone taking it too far because they lack self control?

Disciplining a child by forcing them to make a public apology is a far cry from taking a picture of your crying kids and plastering it on an Ebay auction. I don't have an issue with the parents doing what they did other than posting that picture. That is the result of someone not thinking things through.

No picture and we can assume all day about their parenting skills, but posting that picture clears up a hell of a lot of info for me.

Perfectly said. That photo speaks a thousand words about the parents to me.

I have to wonder about the people "Having a good laugh" at this. Who laughs in the face of crying children? Who takes joy at that?

Those children have no idea that people are laughing at them.

I have laughed at children who turned on the water works because they did something bad and got caught. Turning on the water works for misbehaving is ridiculous, and worthy of a good laugh.

Now, if those children were crying because their dog died, and someone laughed, THAT would be cruel and heartless. But I've seen plenty of children, including myself, crying because we were unhappy over the consequences of our actions.

I think RMA would have turned out differently if his public apology was posted on YouTube and maybe even went viral. He would not be the well adjusted, albeit potentially harsh, contributor we know and love.

Now, now...let's not make this personal. ;)

If it had, I would still have gotten what I deserved, and I'd think twice...like I did back then...before doing what I did again. My "world" (that is, my classmates) already knew about it. Who cares if some shlub in Croatia knew, too?

Kids deserve better, especially from the people who's job it is to protect them.

You have kids Dice? I do, I can't imagine laughing in their face while they are crying.

They absolutely deserve better. They deserve tough, fair love.

I don't think this is as bad as you're making it out to be. Embarrassing, yes, but punishment is supposed to suck.

You're tossing in a lot of assumptions. Sorry I had to make fun of you publicly for you to realize it. :foryou:

Now, if those children were crying because their dog died, and someone laughed, THAT would be cruel and heartless. But I've seen plenty of children, including myself, crying because we were unhappy over the consequences of our actions.

Spot on. Nobody is making fun of these kids. I don't think it's funny. This was not done to make fun of them.

I'm going to jump in as Devil's Advocate, because I'm seeing a lot of "poor parenting" comments being made and I don't think that there's sufficient evidence to reach that conclusion at this time.

For all we know, the parents sat the kids down and had a long talk in which they discussed:

1) how potentially dangerous/destructive these toys could be,

2) how the children would have to play responsibly and carefully with them,

3) set out groundrules for play, and

4) what the consquences of failure to follow the rules would be.

For all we know, the parents flat out told them that any misuse would result in this exact situation.

I'm not saying that this happened, but it could have. I know a lot of responsible parents who have talks like this with their kids. In which case, justly deserved discipline and (hopefully) lesson learned.

Sadly, I imagine the reality is that the kids weren't supervised properly and that the comments made here are accurate.

I understand what you are saying.

So as Devil's Advocate you are saying making a contract between a 30-40 year old parent and a 6 year old kid is possible? That the small child is of the capacity to fully understand and consent?

Given your hypothesis, everything the parents did short of posting that photograph may make sense. The picture crosses the line, and given what everyone who uses the internet knows today it is a colossal mistake. So to me, even if everything in your hypo were true, it would still be incredibly poor parenting.

I don't know about consenting to a contract, but I'd say that by 6 years old, most children know right from wrong and realize that bad behavior results in punishment.

And I will agree that the photo is probably crossing a line, although I suspect the parents may not have expected to receive this much attention.

Without knowing all the details of what occurred, we're all just speculating on the level of parenting provided.

Your conclusions are built on assumptions that cannot be proved.

I tend to think that these apparent 6 and 8 year olds are NOT being exposed to "world wide ridicule", and I GUARANTEE you, there are lots and lots of kids who would have HAPPILY chosen this punishment over other, much more physical forms of punishment.

I know I would.

Anyone imagining these kids will be permanently scarred because of this is ludicrous, at best.

Please, this has all the hallmarks of poor and lazy parenting. Give your kids a dangerous toy that they should not have in the first place and then sell off all their possessions to pay for damage that would have been avoided if you just put your beer down and taught them about life instead of inflicting life upon them.

Perhaps you should read the BIO of "The Star Wars Kid" first before making up your mind as to how ludicrous it is to think that people can be scarred by this type of thing on the internet.

Or perhaps the student who committed suicide when he was outed on the internet.

Things posted on the internet are there FOREVER, and these two would not be the first to have permanent damage done to them.

I have a 9 year old and a 7 year old. I am sure these kids would prefer this punishment over physical punishment but there are DOZENS of ways to teach these children a lesson that don't involve EITHER.

The lazy, the stupid, and the immature parents jump to either physical punishment or humiliation on this magnitude in place of real parenting. Mature, caring adults realize that you can teach your children life lessons that lead to them being responsible adults with neither of the punishments you mention being employed.

It's harder and it takes longer to teach your kids lessons instead of reacting this way, and it takes more work to treat your kids with respect, but showing them how respect works is the quickest way to them showing respect themselves.

These kids are getting shown FEAR right now. They are probably being shown anger on a pretty good scale as well. These aren't 16 year olds who got into a car accident and have to pay the bill. They are small and young children that could be taking lessons from this that would serve them in their entire life, but instead they get to learn that their dad pulled a giant move on them instead.

Lazy parents are the ones who treat their kids as inmates and see themselves as the warden. I am about as strict as they come with my kids, but I always do it with love, understanding, and with the thought in my mind that I am trying to teach my kids something to help them through life.

You are, of course, completely correct. I assume that most of us posting here have raised children and I'm really surprised at the "old school, tough love" from some of the members. Before you meltdown on my response to this, consider that nothing is as simple as you want it to be. The primary trouble for kids is parents who don't spend time with their children unless they do something wrong and then the parents explode with "discipline". This creates a childhood trauma (which is often repeated over and over) and that is one of the primary causes of mental illness later in life.

It's not as simple as "kids need lots of consequences and discipline". They need love much more than that.

Having been heavily disciplined by my dad and having no other real relationship with him besides that, I agree one bazillion percent with all of the above. I've got 4 smart, good, trustworthy kids and it's because me and their mom have found a decent balance between discipline and love. They get lots of discipline and they get lots of love but most of all they get lots of time with us.

Shame will only destroy their self esteem. This is shameful. The pic was completely unnecessary and is lazy parenting. Anybody that says other wise just doesn't know what they're talking about.

(thumbs u

And some people laugh their asses off while running to the lady and making sure she's ok, to let her know that it's not a big deal.

Which one are you?

When I was in college, I was fond of launching off chairs in the cafe, board style. One day, I hit the chair wrong and it flipped, landing me flat on my back in front of a couple hundred students.

They all started clapping, and I got up and bowed to the whole room. I laughed as hard as anyone else. By mocking myself, I took away the ability for everyone else, to. I was pretty embarrassed...but my schoolmates didn't make a big deal about it, because I laughed it off.

So, no, if I was that lady, and I walked into a fountain, I'd be laughing my arse off, not being a stupid crybaby and sueing someone for it. The worse you react, the harsher the reaction will be.

lol

Your conclusions are built on assumptions that cannot be proved.

I tend to think that these apparent 6 and 8 year olds are NOT being exposed to "world wide ridicule", and I GUARANTEE you, there are lots and lots of kids who would have HAPPILY chosen this punishment over other, much more physical forms of punishment.

I know I would.

Anyone imagining these kids will be permanently scarred because of this is ludicrous, at best.

Please, this has all the hallmarks of poor and lazy parenting. Give your kids a dangerous toy that they should not have in the first place and then sell off all their possessions to pay for damage that would have been avoided if you just put your beer down and taught them about life instead of inflicting life upon them.

Perhaps you should read the BIO of "The Star Wars Kid" first before making up your mind as to how ludicrous it is to think that people can be scarred by this type of thing on the internet.

Or perhaps the student who committed suicide when he was outed on the internet.

Things posted on the internet are there FOREVER, and these two would not be the first to have permanent damage done to them.

I have a 9 year old and a 7 year old. I am sure these kids would prefer this punishment over physical punishment but there are DOZENS of ways to teach these children a lesson that don't involve EITHER.

The lazy, the stupid, and the immature parents jump to either physical punishment or humiliation on this magnitude in place of real parenting. Mature, caring adults realize that you can teach your children life lessons that lead to them being responsible adults with neither of the punishments you mention being employed.

It's harder and it takes longer to teach your kids lessons instead of reacting this way, and it takes more work to treat your kids with respect, but showing them how respect works is the quickest way to them showing respect themselves.

These kids are getting shown FEAR right now. They are probably being shown anger on a pretty good scale as well. These aren't 16 year olds who got into a car accident and have to pay the bill. They are small and young children that could be taking lessons from this that would serve them in their entire life, but instead they get to learn that their dad pulled a giant move on them instead.

Lazy parents are the ones who treat their kids as inmates and see themselves as the warden. I am about as strict as they come with my kids, but I always do it with love, understanding, and with the thought in my mind that I am trying to teach my kids something to help them through life.

You are, of course, completely correct. I assume that most of us posting here have raised children and I'm really surprised at the "old school, tough love" from some of the members. Before you meltdown on my response to this, consider that nothing is as simple as you want it to be. The primary trouble for kids is parents who don't spend time with their children unless they do something wrong and then the parents explode with "discipline". This creates a childhood trauma (which is often repeated over and over) and that is one of the primary causes of mental illness later in life.

It's not as simple as "kids need lots of consequences and discipline". They need love much more than that.

Having been heavily disciplined by my dad and having no other real relationship with him besides that, I agree one bazillion percent with all of the above. I've got 4 smart, good, trustworthy kids and it's because me and their mom have found a decent balance between discipline and love. They get lots of discipline and they get lots of love but most of all they get lots of time with us.

Shame will only destroy their self esteem. This is shameful. The pic was completely unnecessary and is lazy parenting. Anybody that says other wise just doesn't know what they're talking about.

(thumbs u

No, anybody who says otherwise doesn't agree with YOU.

(thumbs u

If you love your children, you will discipline them. There is no "balance", because they are not mutually exclusive terms.

I think some people around here think "discipline" = abuse.

They absolutely deserve better. They deserve tough, fair love.

I don't think this is as bad as you're making it out to be. Embarrassing, yes, but punishment is supposed to suck.

You're tossing in a lot of assumptions. Sorry I had to make fun of you publicly for you to realize it. :foryou:

Yes I was tossing in a ton of assumptions, I denoted that earlier. However, when you strip it all the way down, and I mentioned this at least twice in this thread. I can agree with all of the discipline the parents laid down in this situation SHORT of posting that photograph.

That photograph, and its posting speaks volumes about the parent.

It's incredibly naive for a parent to post that picture and assume NO ONE will see it. Most likely he was trying to get some attention and pump up the bids, not thinking it would matter much, or be seen much.

That's just dumb on their part. We've seen stuff like this go viral for over a decade. Did they think about what would happen if a news outlet picked it up, or if the kids in their classes found out about it? Is that part of the teaching? Part of the tough love? Life can suck as a kid in school, is it up to your parents to make it suck as hard as it possibly can?

It's also incredibly callous for the parents to do that. Kids react to things like this in irrational ways, to them the pain is very real. Exploiting that, to hit them where it hurts, or for a gag, or some hits, or for some cash?? That's not something I can see responsible parents doing.

Whatever their reason for posting that picture. I can't see a defense for it.

:gossip: Lastly, you making fun of me publicly doesn't make you right. :foryou:

Almost 500 more views since I took the first screen shot five minutes ago! lol

ae5yee.jpg

With nine days to go...

23wuusl.jpg

I need to put pictures of crying kids in all of my eBay auctions.

4visnr.jpg

Sorry, I am just enjoying watching this auction blow up.

wuidyt.jpg