• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Venom? WTF?

76 posts in this topic

It's REMENDER? Really? I might actually buy into this. MOORE and REMENDER make a good team, plus the ASM issue with THOMPSON explaining how he lost his legs was the most touching capes comic I've read in a while... hm

I agree, in the hands of the right writer the story of a double amputee veteran given a chance at being "whole" again, and powerful by making a deal with "the devil" it can be a really stirring story. There's a chance here to craft a story that really examines humanity against a super hero background. I hope they take the opportunity seriously.

It can be horrendously campy and stupid as well if they stick the same formula as most comics.

I hope they see the potential here.

It's REMENDER? Really? I might actually buy into this. MOORE and REMENDER make a good team, plus the ASM issue with THOMPSON explaining how he lost his legs was the most touching capes comic I've read in a while... hm

I agree, in the hands of the right writer the story of a double amputee veteran given a chance at being "whole" again, and powerful by making a deal with "the devil" it can be a really stirring story. There's a chance here to craft a story that really examines humanity against a super hero background. I hope they take the opportunity seriously.

It can be horrendously campy and stupid as well if they stick the same formula as most comics.

I hope they see the potential here.

(thumbs u

However, my money is on this being campy. REMENDER's stuff is often campy, which I love, but

I don't know if this is what I want considering the material here...

I loved Fear Agent, but I'm not sure that style would translate well to a mainstream title like ASM.

Also, can someone fill me in re. whatever happened to Eddie Brock? Is he dead?

He's AntiVenom. Kind of like Michael Jackson he went from Black to White. Also a new spin on the character? That's been done. Scorpion was Venom...not to mention it didn't take long for Venom to become a good guy in the early 90's and help the homeless of SF.

WTH was Tony thinking, trace a Todd McF. cover on a sheet of paper and change it a bit? Anyone can do that!!!!!

Dude come on impress us, not make us scratch our heads hm with WTF is going onn :o !!!!!!

|-onefasteg6|

|-synch......... |

|_________|

WTH was Tony thinking, trace a Todd McF. cover on a sheet of paper and change it a bit? Anyone can do that.

Dude come on impress us, not make us scratch our heads with WTF is going on.

The pose is the same, and MEANT to be the same. However, you aren't looking closely enough if you think it's a trace job. This piece is all Tony, and that's obvious to anyone who's familiar with that Todd's art looks like and what Tony's art looks like that he didn't trace anything, but he did intend to draw a connection between the two covers.

It's called an HOMAGE cover. Given that ASM 300 was the first appearance of Venom, and this is the NEW Venom, it's appropriate to recall the past first appearance.

He's not trying to fool anyone, IT'S AN INTENTIONAL HOMAGE.

This isn't some random character that has nothing to do with Venom or the ASM 300 story. It ties the two together perfectly.

Here they are side by side... you've got to be able to tell that this is a new drawing intending to evoke the ASM 300 image and not a trace job. There are so many differences in pose and proportion that if you look at them for more than 2 seconds you will be able to see that pretty easily. It's everything I remember fondly about ASM 300 in something that's new in its own way.

asm300-31.jpgvenom_2_cover_by_eraserx-d389e8x.jpg

I'm having mixed feelings about this character especially considering the fact that I really like the classic Venom. I guess I'll just have to pick it up and see whether I like the new concept or not (shrug)

Oh and BTW I think that this homage cover would work pretty well as a variant, I'm not sure if they should 'mess' with classics like that though. I know that this is a homage cover thus the strong resemblance but maybe they shouldn't make it so ... obvious?

He's not trying to fool anyone, IT'S AN INTENTIONAL HOMAGE.

In addition to your bubbly enthusiasm, the fact that it says "Tony Moore after McFarlane" proves your point (thumbs u

But Venom with a gun is as dumb as the Keown Hulk with a gun cover.

Praying at the altar or Michael Bay has proven nothing if it hasn't proven that anything awesome is made awesomer by the addition of a giant- gun.

Here they are side by side... you've got to be able to tell that this is a new drawing intending to evoke the ASM 300 image and not a trace job. There are so many differences in pose and proportion that if you look at them for more than 2 seconds you will be able to see that pretty easily. It's everything I remember fondly about ASM 300 in something that's new in its own way.

the angle of the gun is what kills it for me. just doesn't look good pointing the gun that way.

the angle of the gun is what kills it for me. just doesn't look good pointing the gun that way.

Imagine how much worse it would look if Humberto Ramos drew it doh!

Imagine how much worse it would look if Humberto Ramos drew it doh!

+10,000,000