• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The 2010 Nik Memorial Grading Contest *Round 20* Results

47 posts in this topic

I said 7.5, I just couldnt say 8.0....

That was me as well...guess the flaws I saw weren't really as bad as I had thought... doh!

This is what I have learned from the contest.

Apparently you can bury a book in your back yard, dig it up, send it in, and as long as the corners and edges are ok you will get a good grade.

I think that everyone has defects that bother them and they deduct heavily for. This is one for me, I also beat up marvel chipping. I consider eye appeal part of grading, when eye appeal doesnt actually effect defects. Not being biased towards specific defects will def. help alot.

I said 7.5, I just couldnt say 8.0....

+1 (thumbs u

Sorry, but that's a sucky 8.5. :screwy:

Funny thing - no other grade entered my mind on that one. This is my PM with the grade:

Round 20 is the 8.5est book I've seen.

8.5 all day long.

Even CGC couldn't get this one wrong. :sumo:

hence my 'bombastic grade sent' comment. (shrug)

That is funny... with the multiple scuffs on this book, I was as sure myself it was a 7.5. lol

Once again to the Overstreet grading guide:

8.0 VERY FINE (VF): An excellent copy with outstanding eye appeal. A limited accumulation of minor bindery/printing defects is allowed. Cover is relatively flat with minimal surface wear beginning to show, possibly including some minute wear at corners. Inks are generally bright with moderate to high reflectivity. An unnoticeable 1/4" crease is acceptable if color is not broken. Stamped or inked arrival dates may be present. Minor foxing. Spine is almost completely flat with a possible minor color break. Staples may show some discoloration. Very slight staple tears and a few almost insignificant stress lines may be present. Paper is cream to tan and supple. Centerfold is mostly secure. Minor interior tears at the margin may be present.

8.5 VERY FINE+ (VF+): Fits the criteria for Very Fine but with an additional virtue or small accumulation of virtues that improves the book’s appearance by a perceptible amount.

Granted that this is subjective, but... I would have trouble believing that the scuffing on this book fits the spirit of the definition of 8.5 above.

Which is not to say either that Overstreet is the only authority. But I thought, once upon a time, CGC was stricter than Overstreet?

Whether or not it was true once, I guess it is true no more. (shrug)

I was an optimist on that one....

ASM 61

8.5 with the scuff across the title....and rubbing on the spine and logo. I'm just guessing here as it's likely higher grade.

Maybe a neg -1 will put me into a race for 2nd...

WOW...I just really psyched myself out on the last 2 books...severely undergraded book 19 by 2 marks...so I overcompensated the pendulum on book 20 and overgraded by 3 marks...just convinced myself it was some trick book with a lot of production issues...thought it could go 9.0 and bumped from there...

Well it was a nice run while it lasted... :tonofbricks:

Pressure's off I guess... :cry:

I thought it was an 8.0 and submitted an 8.0.

Of the twenty rounds, we've been tied for ten. Odd stat.

I think it will be ten out of twenty-one after this one :cry:

WOW...I just really psyched myself out on the last 2 books...severely undergraded book 19 by 2 marks...so I overcompensated the pendulum on book 20 and overgraded by 3 marks...just convinced myself it was some trick book with a lot of production issues...thought it could go 9.0 and bumped from there...

Well it was a nice run while it lasted... :tonofbricks:

Pressure's off I guess... :cry:

I apologize if you felt any undue outside pressure... :devil:

:foryou: