• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JIM/Thor Cover Contest Round 2

JIM Cover Contest Round 2  

165 members have voted

1. 1. JIM Cover Contest Round 2

67 posts in this topic

#89 should have been the cover to #83, and I guarantee you...if it had been, #83 would be worth twice what it is now....

Can't ever prove it, but there it stands nonetheless.

I've always felt the same way about ST 110. Put doc strange on the cover instead of paste pot pete and its a mega key instead of some guys 1st appearance.

Just had to get that off my chest.

#89 should have been the cover to #83, and I guarantee you...if it had been, #83 would be worth twice what it is now....

I sort of agree with that.

It should've been the cover to 83 and the point about value is interesting...

I've always felt the same way about ST 110. Put doc strange on the cover instead of paste pot pete and its a mega key instead of some guys 1st appearance.

Just had to get that off my chest.

I agree with this 100%. It was an error of mega proportions in hindsight to NOT put Doc on the cover, but FF was white hot at the time, so...

Conversely, consider...

If Fantasy #15 had been, say, a standard monster cover, and Spidey had just appeared inside...would Spidey be the #3 most popular comic character in the world now....? Would Amazing Spiderman have even EXISTED (given Martin Goodman's already stated opinion that a hero based on spiders was dead in the water) if it hadn't been for the cover of Fantasy #15?

hm

While # 89 is a much better cover than # 83 and would have greatly improved the debut of Thor, to say that it would double the value is just looney. That would put it at the same values as FF # 1 on lower and mid grades.

While # 89 is a much better cover than # 83 and would have greatly improved the debut of Thor, to say that it would double the value is just looney.

In your opinion. Too bad it can't ever be proven.

(thumbs u

While # 89 is a much better cover than # 83 and would have greatly improved the debut of Thor, to say that it would double the value is just looney. That would put it at the same values as FF # 1 on lower and mid grades.

Also, having a better cover might have helped it sell more copies, that means less would be returned by the newstand retailers and then trashed by the distibution place, so it would not be as rare and, just maybe, worth a little less in mid and lower grades.

But.....we have to remember, at the time, Marvel was "trying out" superheroes, so the cover needed to have some scifi/monster look to help keep the JIM on board. JIM 83 was a better marketing cover than 89 would have been.

While # 89 is a much better cover than # 83 and would have greatly improved the debut of Thor, to say that it would double the value is just looney.

(thumbs u

Editing out my stating "That would put it at the same values as FF # 1 on lower and mid grades." doesn't make it any less true or relevant. Yes it is my opinion that changing the cover to # 83 wouldn't increase it's value to the same levels as FF # 1. I find it hard to believe that you think it would.

Also, having a better cover might have helped it sell more copies, that means less would be returned by the newstand retailers and then trashed by the distibution place, so it would not be as rare and, just maybe, worth a little less in mid and lower grades.

But.....we have to remember, at the time, Marvel was "trying out" superheroes, so the cover needed to have some scifi/monster look to help keep the JIM on board. JIM 83 was a better marketing cover than 89 would have been.

Hadn't thought of that before. Sounds reasonable logic. (thumbs u

(thumbs u Just like how a giant monster + not the FF themselves dominates the cover of FF#1 as well as the content of much of the first several issues:Skrulls, Namor's giant sea monsters, etc,.. Those Atlas monsters stuck around for awhile just in case the heroes flopped again. Which thankfully they didn't! ^^ BTW, not that I mind any of those Atlas monsters. :cloud9:

(thumbs u Just like how a giant monster + not the FF themselves dominates the cover of FF#1 as well as the content of much of the first several issues:Skrulls, Namor's giant sea monsters, etc,.. Those Atlas monsters stuck around for awhile just in case the heroes flopped again. Which thankfully they didn't! ^^ BTW, not that I mind any of those Atlas monsters. :cloud9:

Also, don't forget the "first" Ant-Man (#27) was before TTA went "Super-Hero". They brought him back a year later with a costume.

Also, don't forget the "first" Ant-Man (#27) was before TTA went "Super-Hero". They brought him back a year later with a costume.

Not to mention, The Hulk seemed more like a monster book than a superhero book to begin with.

But, as you well know, Marvel was trying out Ant-Man (and his friend Bee Man over in Suspense #32), and waited a while before bringing him back.

Thor, however, was immediately the star of JIM, without waiting to see what the response would be at all.

By this time, I suspect Stan and Jack had figured out that Superheroes would do just fine.

Also...unless one considers "Spider-Man" a "monster" (and in that costume, it was highly doubtful), Fantasy #15 is not a monster cover either.

Not to mention, The Hulk seemed more like a monster book than a superhero book to begin with.

True. That's why it only lasted 6 issues. It did not "conform" with the new direction Marvel was taking.

(thumbs u

Editing out my stating "That would put it at the same values as FF # 1 on lower and mid grades." doesn't make it any less true or relevant. Yes it is my opinion that changing the cover to # 83 wouldn't increase it's value to the same levels as FF # 1. I find it hard to believe that you think it would.

Listen, Gazmo...it was an off-the-cuff statement. It was not meant to be a precise statistical analysis of JIM #83's values vs. FF in all grades. :eyeroll:

Did I say "JIM #83 would be worth 94% of FF #1 in 8.5 and 73% of FF #1 in 9.4, and 103% of FF #1 in 4.5"...?

No.

But would the book be worth substantially more?

Clearly I think so, and others agree. If you don't, great. The beauty of it is that it can never be proven, so there's no need to get pissy about it and start with the insults.

Do lighten up, old chap.

(thumbs u

But, as you well know, Marvel was trying out Ant-Man (and his friend Bee Man over in Suspense #32), and waited a while before bringing him back.

Thor, however, was immediately the star of JIM, without waiting to see what the response would be at all.

By this time, I suspect Stan and Jack had figured out that Superheroes would do just fine.

Also...unless one considers "Spider-Man" a "monster" (and in that costume, it was highly doubtful), Fantasy #15 is not a monster cover either.

Yes, but the time between FF 1 and AF 15, if my memory serves, was about 8 months. FF had already changed to costumes. JIM 83 came after AF 15. AF 15 was also not an "all hero" book, it had other stories in it. They were very careful not to exclude the horror/scifi fans at first.

I'm going to have to counter this with "Thor may have become a more significant character, and thus would have become more valuable as a whole." Yeah, it's a bit of a stretch, but maybe not one so far fetched as it appears on the surface, because such demand could have led to greater inspiration for the creators, which could have led to more popularity for the character.

Fantasy #15 is roughly par with JIM #83 on the census in high grade, but hands down beats it in mid to low grade. Yet Fantasy #15, of course, is the much higher valued book, even with more copies available. And, Fantasy #15 was the last issue, which meant it was probably trashed in greater numbers than JIM #83, which had another one come out the next month.

It is all supposition, though. :)

Yes, but the time between FF 1 and AF 15, if my memory serves, was about 8 months. FF had already changed to costumes. JIM 83 came after AF 15. AF 15 was also not an "all hero" book, it had other stories in it. They were very careful not to exclude the horror/scifi fans at first.

Fantasy #15 and JIM #83 were both published with an August, 1962 cover date. Even if JIM came out a couple of weeks after Fantasy #15, it wouldn't have affected things editorially that quickly.

:shrug:

As to the content, granted, but I'm talking just the covers.