• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JIM/Thor Cover Contest Round 2

JIM Cover Contest Round 2  

165 members have voted

1. 1. JIM Cover Contest Round 2

67 posts in this topic

#89 should have been the cover to #83, and I guarantee you...if it had been, #83 would be worth twice what it is now....

Can't ever prove it, but there it stands nonetheless.

I sort of agree with that.

It should've been the cover to 83 and the point about value is interesting...

While # 89 is a much better cover than # 83 and would have greatly improved the debut of Thor, to say that it would double the value is just looney.

In your opinion. Too bad it can't ever be proven.

(thumbs u

Editing out my stating "That would put it at the same values as FF # 1 on lower and midgrades." doesn't make it any less true or relevant. Yes it is my opinion that changing the cover to # 83 wouldn't increase it's value to the same levels as FF # 1. I find it hard to believe that you think it would.

Listen, Gazmo...it was an off-the-cuff statement. It was not meant to be a precise statistical analysis of JIM #83's values vs. FF in all grades. :eyeroll:

Did I say "JIM #83 would be worth 94% of FF #1 in 8.5 and 73% of FF #1 in 9.4, and 103% of FF #1 in 4.5"...?

No.

But would the book be worth substantially more?

Clearly I think so, and others agree. If you don't, great. The beauty of it is that it can never be proven, so there's no need to get pissy about it and start with the insults.

Do lighten up, old chap.

(thumbs u

My apologies, usually you complain when people don't follow what you say exactly so when you said it would be worth twice as much, I thought you meant it would be worth twice as much especially when you didn't clear that up when you first quoted me.

My apologies, usually you complain when people don't follow what you say exactly so when you said it would be worth twice as much, I thought you meant it would be worth twice as much especially when you didn't clear that up when you first quoted me.

There is a considerable and quite significant difference between a serious, intense discussion in which detailed facts are presented, discussed, and countered, and an off-the-cuff, tangential comment.

SURELY you understand the difference.

Or do you mean every single word, literally, that you type/speak..?

hm

Rather than reply again and let this completely derail the thread, I'm going to leave it at that. You're entitled to believe whatever you want to. We've had enough conversations to know that they don't end well.

The quote function really kills the usefulness of the ignore function. :sorry:

Fantasy #15 is roughly par with JIM #83 on the census in high grade, but hands down beats it in mid to low grade. Yet Fantasy #15, of course, is the much higher valued book, even with more copies available. And, Fantasy #15 was the last issue, which meant it was probably trashed in greater numbers than JIM #83, which had another one come out the next month.

It is all supposition, though. :)

You are correct, my hazy memory had JIM 83 a month after AF 15, sorry.

But my point about the covers really was: They were very careful not to exclude the horror/scifi fans at first.

My votes... 83, 89, 95, 101, 111, 112, 114, 118

I voted for most of those, but one of my favorites is #87. I just like that cover and it is also the first JIM that I remember buying off the rack when I was a kid.

Never underestimate the power of nostalgia. :cloud9: My 1st JIM was #115, given to me by my Uncle Joesph circa 1974. I was 6 at the time + he was getting me into comics + music. :cloud9: :cloud9:

That's exactly why I like JIM 83's cover. In the early 70s I read a lot of the American reprint titles featuring 'Atlas' monster / alien / horror stories and, around the same time, Thor was the second feature in the British 'Spider-Man Comics Weekly' and so JIM 83, with its alien invasion storyline and cover, was one of the first super-hero origins I ever read. Whenever I think back, I definitely sense the crossover effect which Steve described earlier.

Rather than reply again and let this completely derail the thread, I'm going to leave it at that. You're entitled to believe whatever you want to. We've had enough conversations to know that they don't end well.

We're all entitled to believe whatever we want.

It's when we start insulting others, on an issue that's purely hypothetical no less, that this becomes typical CGC board mean spiritedness. It's just not necessary.

Hi, Dave! :hi:

I prefer the later covers in the JIM run. I've noticed that I tend to favour those picturing Thor and one opponent knocking seven bells out of each other. There's three in a row like this - 112 (Hulk), 114 (Absorbing Man), 118 (Destroyer). Repetitive and simple in design, but very effective. (thumbs u

The quote function really kills the usefulness of the ignore function. :sorry:

Doofus - you broke the first rule of the Ignore button.

Not to mention, The Hulk seemed more like a monster book than a superhero book to begin with.

True. That's why it only lasted 6 issues. It did not "conform" with the new direction Marvel was taking.

I've never read anything to that effect, and always understood the cancellation being due to sales figures and Martin Goodman's straight-jacket of a distribution deal. Hulk kept appearing regularly in other books until taking over half of TTA. And the way his characterization varied for years, even over the course of the initial 6 issue run, as they tried to figure out what to do with could be the topic of a whole other thread.

That said, I think the cover of JIM 83 is pretty nice and packs more of a punch that several other key first issues. Here's the original version, with the Stone Men that Stan had deleted:

JIM_83.jpg

I love the cover to JIM #83. It's clean, has great colors.

I also chose #87, 89, 112, 118...can't remember what else.

Love the reds on #87!

That said, I think the cover of JIM 83 is pretty nice and packs more of a punch that several other key first issues. Here's the original version, with the Stone Men that Stan had deleted:

JIM_83.jpg

Thanks for posting this cover.

I like it, one powerful figure up against a massive onslaught of Stone Men. Thor doesn't look too bothered by the odds, totally in control. Works really well. I can understand that some might find the cover too busy and cluttered, though.

Where's this image from? The new Thor Omnibus? (I haven't got my copy yet.)

JIM_83.jpg

Thanks for posting this cover.

I like it, one powerful figure up against a massive onslaught of Stone Men. Thor doesn't look too bothered by the odds, totally in control. Works really well. I can understand that some might find the cover too busy and cluttered, though.

Where's this image from? The new Thor Omnibus? (I haven't got my copy yet.)

There are a ton of problems with this cover, the most glaring being: Thor isn't facing the source of the attack. :eek:

Yes, I know this can be logically explained away, but it's a cover. It should be the best image possible to sell the book beneath. I know it was a compromise, because having Thor's back turned would have been unacceptable, but it creates a very awkward pose, and makes Thor look like he doesn't know what he's doing.

Plus, the cover is AWFUL busy, even the original. Why are there people standing on "balconies"? Since when do skyscrapers typically have "balconies" midway up? Why is there a guy like 5 feet behind Thor? Isn't he afraid of getting smacked with a Stone Man? Don't even get me started on the spaceship. And what's with the guy on the balcony? Is he in the middle of singing "YMCA"?

Not the best cover Jack ever designed. ;)

Some very reasonable observations there. (thumbs u

As I said in one of my earlier posts, it's a key book in my development as a reader / collector, so I think about JIM 83 and its cover on a very nostalgic / emotional level, and for me that overrides analysing the many flaws in its composition. I've always liked the published cover of JIM 83, so a few extra Stone Men on the unpublished version won't change that emotional response much, nor make me think more deeply about it. (shrug)

The only real problem I have with the cover for J.I.M. #83 is the skinny Thor. Other than that I think its a great cover. (shrug) I mean how do you know he is not facing the source of the attack [could be wave number two that is leaving the space ship] and really who cares? Complaining about balconies, really?

The only real problem I have with the cover for J.I.M. #83 is the skinny Thor. Other than that I think its a great cover. (shrug) I mean how do you know he is not facing the source of the attack [could be wave number two that is leaving the space ship] and really who cares? Complaining about balconies, really?

Just pointing out what a good editor would. :)

Whether there's a separate source of attack is irrelevant, as it's not shown on the cover, so hypothesizing doesn't change the fact that it's a poor layout.

As far as who really cares...well, obviously I do, and others, at least in a theoretical sense. Does it matter? Of course not! The book's a classic, and that will never change. This is just for fun. I have no power to go back in time and overrule Jack on the cover.

;)

JIM_83.jpg

There are a ton of problems with this cover, the most glaring being: Thor isn't facing the source of the attack. :eek:

Sure he is. He's facing you...and you are attacking the cover.