• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: Nintendo Power #1 and old school NES

52 posts in this topic

Whetteon's WTB post got me all nostalgic. I had to go dig out my two copies of Nintendo Power #1. One's a beater, the other is fairly presentable (below).

I flipped through the beater copy then got the itch to scan some of the better pages. Super Mario 2, Zelda 2, Metroid cheats and the famous Contra code that every American male in their 30's can quote from memory?!? Pure nostalgic goodness... :cloud9:

Who on the boards collects 8-bit NES games and/or Nintendo Power mags? I have a load of carts a few dozen complete games.

5420656722_881117874e_z.jpg

5420144085_2fbc077eb2_z.jpg5420751070_f780abdbeb_z.jpg

5420142795_c4a472572a_z.jpg5420142319_f6d3038a38_z.jpg

5420141585_a17e329d58_z.jpg5420140935_f4b27fd0fb_z.jpg

Years ago when my sister was still a kid she mentioned before her birthday that she wanted a vintage game system. Not long after she said that I went to someones house that I just met and he had an NES hooked up. I thought it was an amazing coincidence so I offered him $40 for it. He said he would take twenty since it wasn't working great and he had trouble getting the games to play. I gave it to my sister for her birthday and not long after she started playing with it it quit working altogether. I got online and did some research and found it needed a new 72 pin connector. I bought one and installed it and $7 later she had a like new NES. It came with a huge stack of games too. (thumbs u

Still works fine and it's been like 7 years.

Awesome. I may need to replace the pins in one of my systems soon. Glad to hear it works like new after.

Right after college I got in to a conversation with a new colleague who moved in to the same apartment complex as me. Somehow we got on the subject of old NES games. He mentioned that he had a few games and a system if I wanted them. Turns out it was closer to 80 games! I was in heaven. I've since bought a few to fill the holes and now have about 100 carts and about 40 complete games. My little one loves Duck Hunt. Just like Dad.

I got real lucky with my work message board a while back picking up a complete top loader with box and all as well as a sealed Super Mario 3 game. I had no interest in a sealed game so I threw it on eBay...I was shocked when the gavel closed at $350! :o

Wow ! The first issue ! Such a great magazine cuz it had maps to all the levels to help you figure out how to get through. We had a subscription in the early 90's. When the boys were between ages 9 and 14 we played alot of NES. The market a mile away rented games and we would try em out to see if we liked em enough to buy em. One game in particular, Twin Eagle, a dual helicopter game, we played so much the rental fee was more than the game was worth, so we just told em we lost it and to charge us for the game.

I still have about 20 games w/boxes for NES and a nice top loader console. It only gets used around Christmas ..... but is still lots of fun.

Thats pretty cool aggiez

I don't collect them now, but I subscribed to Nintendo Power when it came out--every issue from #1 up to probably somewhere in the Gamecube era before I finally let the subscription lapse. Also had 2 or 3 of the Nintendo Fun Club magazines that came before Nintendo Power. Before the internet, it was great to get the new Nintendo Power in and see all the new games, read the letters, see the game maps. Playing and beating a challenging game is completely different in the era of Gamefaqs and instant online answers for every question you could possibly have.

I still remember when word got around overnight summer camp about that Contra code. I still had three weeks left of camp and couldn't wait to get home to try it. I remember forcing myself to remember the code and getting home and being psyched when it worked. I actually saw a really cool student art show a few years ago where an artist had integrated the code into the exhibit by repeatedly writing it on the walls in big block letters. For whatever reason, that code is really a watermark for a certain generation.

I still think Pit Fighter is one of the best games for Sega Genesis. I also loved how one of the options was to play the sayings from the sound board.

I don't collect them now, but I subscribed to Nintendo Power when it came out--every issue from #1 up to probably somewhere in the Gamecube era before I finally let the subscription lapse. Also had 2 or 3 of the Nintendo Fun Club magazines that came before Nintendo Power. Before the internet, it was great to get the new Nintendo Power in and see all the new games, read the letters, see the game maps. Playing and beating a challenging game is completely different in the era of Gamefaqs and instant online answers for every question you could possibly have.

Yea. It was way more work in those days. We had to use our problem solving skills. Kid gamers are so spoiled nowadays .... :grin:

BTW - Thanks for the Plas :takeit:

:hi: I do :whee: I have a small collection of unused/unopened NES games that i hope to add to this year :grin: I also pick up the mags when i can find them in NM or better.

DSC_0435.jpg

DSC_0434.jpg

DSC_0437.jpg

Niiiiiiiice copy Green! Post a pic of you game collection... :wishluck:

yeah let's see 'em :)

Ive only 3. Dragon warrior, TMNT and spider-man. Ill get a pic shortly :D

One of the best things about these old NPs are the centerfold posters advertising upcoming games. I'll post a few pics I have.

Sometimes, where the posters have gotten separated from the magazine, they have gone for much more money ($50-200) solo than with the magazine :screwy: but that is just due to uneducated buyers as they are isolated rather than regular occurences. but pretty entertaining when it happens ;)

Anyway, enough about that. Let me post some of these fun posters shortly