• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Artists Assemble!

Does this concept interest you?  

216 members have voted

1. 1. Does this concept interest you?

36 posts in this topic

Artists and artist wanabes, hear me out.

I'd like to propose a concept new to these boards. I've been involved in these on other boards a long time ago and want to see if the people here are interested. I'm willing to do the legwork to make this happen.

The concept is a weekly "art contest" among the local talent on the boards. I will make a post giving the subject and medium, as well as a deadline that the artwork has to be completed. Anyone interested in entering will enter the ring and lay their artistry upon it and email their art to me. The subject will often be obscure such as "Aunt May as a Jedi Knight" or perhaps "Power Girl eating an apple."

I will then make a new thread with the images of all the entries, as well as a poll for everyone to pick their favorite. After a few days of voting, the poll will close. No prizes, but the winner will get bragging rights until the next one.

Two things will be key to making this work. 1) I will need input from everyone about ideas for subject matter for future "Draw-Offs" and 2) Entries must remain unseen by everyone until they are posted at one time for the poll. If we get enough participation I may need help, but I think I could handle it coming out of the gate. Right now, I'd like to start out with about two of these per month. All artists wouldn't have to contribute to every event, but the more artists that regularly enter, the more popular this will become.

For now I need to know if there's enough interest from artists and the board in general.

I'll give it a shot, but time will likely be tight. It could be a fun way to unwind and force myself to expand and learn in new areas.

Formats will be this...

Pencil

Pencil + Inks

Color

If the format for the week is "color," you're certainly free to do pencils only if that's all that time will permit. It is suggested that you not go beyond the format called, but you're always free to stop short if you don't have time.

Someone turning in artwork that's full color on an event that is supposed to be in pencil is subject to ridicule and humiliation. lol

I wouldn't disqualify them as this is just for fun, but would ask that everyone try to not go beyond the called format for that week to keep it fair and fun for everyone involved.

I'll give it a shot, but time will likely be tight. It could be a fun way to unwind and force myself to expand and learn in new areas.

Like drawing Archie in a Vet coat?

hm

And I will enter, if you have a prize for worst drawings...ever.

Work keeps me busy so I may join in occasionally. Fun idea though.

I'll try to give a full week to turn in the artwork to give as much of a chance as I can.

Not sure my talents could stand up to the famous DiceX scrutiny, but I'd give it a try. Can we just keep it down to cheap shots only? Full on Dice-style humiliation could crush the creative impulse in anyone.

(I say this with all due respect, sir, and humbly request that this post not bias you in any way against me) :kidaround:

Not sure my talents could stand up to the famous DiceX scrutiny, but I'd give it a try. Can we just keep it down to cheap shots only? Full on Dice-style humiliation could crush the creative impulse in anyone.

(I say this with all due respect, sir, and humbly request that this post not bias you in any way against me) :kidaround:

I'm not going to scrutinize anyone. I assure you this is just for fun and allows the artists a little challenge to push their creativity.