• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who was DC's most heroic canine?

Who was DC's most heroic canine character?  

192 members have voted

1. 1. Who was DC's most heroic canine character?

47 posts in this topic

doh!

I am reminded of why I thought DC sucked as a kid.

if this panel inspires anyone to go after the run, they're barking up the wrong tree.

I'm a bit concerned about you fellows. You're missing the point of a whole sub category of popular culture. Let me help you out by giving you a tip. Comics aren't supposed to be deadly serious. They're supposed to be more than a bit corny. That's why they're called "funny" books.

When I want serious insights into the human condition, I can read Hemingway or Dostoevsky or somebody. When I don't, there's Streak the Wonder Dog, Amazing Spider-Man and Casper the Friendly Ghost.

(tsk)

well- the splashes NOW have a certain charm. but just a few years before- DC was serious enough. if I recall (and yes I'm going all the way back...for me) the first Bizarro was played more for pathos than laughs. I just -for you- reread Kurtzman's 'Air Burst' EC via Smithsonian Book, while geting there saw The Spirit- the 'Gerhard Schnobble' story even says 'Please, no laughter' and is quite moving as is the 'Ten Minutes' yarn. 'I Saw It' by Keiji Nakazawa is a brilliant graphic novel of his surviving the Hiroshima A-bomb and growing up thereafter. Good as Hem (v serious old man) with plenty color pictures... Et Cetera. But- Hep- I get your drift, man. 'ripeness is all' as bardo said and sometimes the 'light stuff' demands the 'light attitude'. I Love Lulu and she loves me!

img353.jpg

Cool story! From which issue did you take those scans?

Superboy No. 131/3, Jul 1966: "The Dog from S.C.P.A!"

Superboy No. 132/1, Sep 1966: "Krypto's Cat-Crook Caper!"

Superboy No. 136/2, Mar 1967: "Decoy of the Doom Statues!"

109154.jpg.e9b9054116d018af693b6489ff23a291.jpg

Hepcat - I have redeemed myself regarding my crime of taking comics seriously: I thought you meant the Classics Illustrated versions of Hem and Fyodor. But here I have realized we have yet to mention a very charming DC canine- Robbie the talking robot dog! below comes from the Greatest GA hardcov reprint of Star Spangled #77 Feb 1948 Robotman vs Rubberman, nice bigfoot art by Jimmy Thompson (whose Native American art appears in the 'Golden Age Collection' thread). Woof!

img365.jpg

Krypto?

Really????

Please :eyeroll: Rex and Pooch did it WITHOUT super powers.

Twould seem that opinion on Krypto is polarized on this board. He's still leading this poll but he has his enemies.

You can't deny though that he did a lot of good covers. Here's a scan of one of these from my collection:

Superboy109.jpg

(shrug)

I know it's not GA, but the best 'heroic canine' comic I've ever read was Superman 680 (Alex Ross Krypto cover, story by James Robinson). I'm not even a dog person and I thought it was fantastic. I guess that means I have to retroactively vote for Krypto.