• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Alan Moore and Miracleman....*SPOILERS*

5 posts in this topic

I was recently loaned the entire Miracleman run by a guy at my LCS. Up until now, I had only read the "Marvelman" story that was presented in Warrior Magazine (roughly the 1st 6 issues of the Miracleman comic), so almost all of it is new to me.

Yesterday, I read the last two issues of Moore's run. It was absolutely amazing. One of the best runs on a book ever! Alan Moore's exploration of a true "super-man" are some of the most thought-provoking and interesting ideas I have seen in a comic book:

One of the most powerful beings in the universe, yet he can do nothing to save his marriage or his family from breaking up. Super-men/aliens, reshaping worlds into their vision of Utopia! Miracleman hurling a car (full of people) at his enemy! Modern day super-heroes elevated to devine status!

One of the most truly shocking moments, for me, had to be the killing of Johnny Bates (Kid Miracleman). It is one of the most powerful scenes I've ever read!!!!! 893whatthe.gif

I don't want to go on and on here (although I could), so.....What did others think of Miracleman?

(Let's keep it to Moore's run, as I have just started Gaiman's, and I don't want to spoil any surprises for myself)

In my humble opinion, the Olympus storyline in Miracleman is THE best storyline that I have read in comic books, so I'm completely with you on this one. It is an arc that I consistently reference when asked which books to check out in comics. For those who have never read it, I think that you're missing out if you haven't.

Not to spoil the Gaiman issues for you, but the termination of the series is extremely frustrating, as it ends with things very much up in the air. I hope that one of the things that can get sorted out between him and McFarlane is at least the publication of the rest of the storyline.